1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADING PROHIBITED?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Russ Fisher, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russ Fisher

Russ Fisher TS Member

1. What does YOUR shotgun manufacturer (make and model) say in your manual about reloads? Prohibited? Not recommended? Some other disclaimer? Nothing?

2. Anyone have any statistics regarding the percentage of reloads shot in the U.S.? At your club?

Thanks,

Russ

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

From my Beretta Manuals:

"WARNING: Beretta assumes no responsibility for physical injury or property damage resulting from the use of defective, improper, hand-loaded, reloaded, or remanufactured ammunition. Serious damage and injury, and even death, could result from the use of incorrect ammunition, from firing against bore obstructions and from propellant overloads.

I think words to this effect are pretty common to all shotgun (or rifle or pistol for that matter) manufacturers. We simply use reloads at our own risk.

Jim R

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Bt-99 manual:

"Browning assumes no liability for incidents which occur through the use of cartridges of nonstandard dimensions which develop pressures in excess of commercially available ammunition which has been loaded in accordance with standards established by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufactures Institute (SAMMI)".

Looks like to me reloads are ok if its the right size shell, and you don't exceed pressures. Wayne

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

On the side of my barrel it is printed new shells only

6. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

It's just their CYA.

7. Russ Fisher

Russ Fisher TS Member

KENENT1,

Great photo! VERY funny. Have my questions been posted elsewhere? (And hopefully answeres)

Thanks, jimrich60 and wayneo. Good answers so far. Anything on the statistics regarding the percentage of reloads shot in the U.S.? At your club?

Take care all,

Russ

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If you made a fine gun What you you have printed on the barrel- "This monster will eat anything you can stuff in the bore".

9. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Russ:

Don't know about country wide reload stats but at my club (Sauk Trap and Skeet, I would say probably about 70-80 percent of shells fired are reloads by the regulars. Occasional shooters most often use factory, particularly things like the less expensive Gun Clubs, Walmart specials, and the like. as long as it is non registered shooting. Registered shoots/competition usually have a much higher percentage of higher end factory (Remington, Winchester, and the like). We have had one incident the past couple of years, gun blew up, no one hurt, but traced to bad reload in the end in all likelihood. Since we throw nearly 1,000,000 targets per year, percentage of incidents is pretty low.

Jim R

10. Russ Fisher

Russ Fisher TS Member

ALF-99,

"On the side of my barrel it is printed new shells only"

What make?

Thanks,

Russ

11. Russ Fisher

Russ Fisher TS Member

jimrich60,

Thanks. I would say our club pretty much matches what you have described as the norm at your club.

Regards,

Russ

12. Russ Fisher

Russ Fisher TS Member

doggai,

"Percentage wise, more people use reloads than wash their hands after using the toilet."

This reminds me of a fun story I heard many years ago in Las Vegas. The famous football star Rosie Greer dropped a twenty dollar chip in the urinal. As the story goes he then took off his $5,000.00 watch and threw it in too. When asked why he did that he reportedly responded with “Hey, I aint gonna reach in there for no twenty bucks”.

;-)

Russ

13. Russ Fisher

Russ Fisher TS Member

shannon391,

"If you made a fine gun What you you have printed on the barrel- "This monster will eat anything you can stuff in the bore"."

In our litigious society something like "ANYTHING shot in this gun is not recommended" is more likely

;-)

Russ

14. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

This is from the Krieghoff K80 manuel,

Use factory loaded ammunition only. Factory
    ammunition is manufactured with the most
    sophisticated and reliable equipment available.
    The quality and consistency of factory loaded
    ammunition is essential to firearm safety.
    NEVER use reloaded ammunition. NEVER
    use ammunition that appears to be damaged
    or irregular in any way.

Also says warranty void if reloads used in the warranty part. Most manufacturers I have seen say warranty void if reloads used.

At the clubs I shoot at I would guess its about 70% to 80% factory ammo.
    John

15. Russ Fisher

Russ Fisher TS Member

EE,

<i>"Russ, do you really want answers to those specific questions, or are you just trolling. Because the way you asked sounds more like you're trolling."</i>

I don’t know another way to ask questions. I’m not sure what you mean by “trolling” but, yes, I want answers or I would not have asked. I assume by your post that “trolling” is a bad thing. If I am right, how do I post these questions without appearing to be “trolling”?

Thanks to all who have answered so far,

Russ

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What I see at my club is about 80% of the shells fired are new Estates or Federal Top Gun. When the cost of those shells gets significantly greater than the costs of reloading then we will see more reloaded ammo.

I don't think this has a thing to do with people being worried about blowing up their guns or voiding any warranty. Just a simple matter of convienience vs cost.

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Russ Fisher

"I don’t know another way to ask questions. I’m not sure what you mean by “trolling” but, yes, I want answers or I would not have asked. I assume by your post that “trolling” is a bad thing. If I am right, how do I post these questions without appearing to be “trolling”?"

That is my point exactly yet when ever I ask questions that others don't like I am accused of being a troll. One of your fellow club members seems to make a point of this every time I ask a question that puts him on the spot or he says I am ready to do battle....LOL

So you use caution Russ or will be accused of being a troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A muzzle loader is the only modern firearm I can think of that is approved for reloads.

I think it's pretty easy to understand why. How many people run over their own foot mowing their yard? How many people put it in D instead of R and the other way round? How many people voted for Obama?

RE: percentage of reloads shot at a club? Who in the world would keep track of that? What good would a WAG do you? How many reloads are shot at Quantico? Probably about the same as anywhere this side of the Sheiks range.

19. Russ Fisher

Russ Fisher TS Member

Mr. EE,

There is no shouting intended. There is no abrasive tone intended. There is no “trolling” intended. And I am not interested in any “deal”. I posted two simple questions. If you don’t like the questions, nothing obligates you to answer, comment or even read the thread for that matter.

Please excuse me if I don’t respond further to side-bar posts that don’t contribute to the topic of the thread. I’m not looking for arguments, just civil discussion.

Respectfully,

Russ

20. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Russ:

The manual warnings against reloads I posted earlier were for the 68X series over/under Berettas (as well as single barrels) and for the 391 series semi-autos, if you need that info. Also, from my Remington 3200 Over/Under manual comes this warning: "Remington firearms are designed, manufactured and proof tested to standards based on factory loaded ammunition. Improperly loaded handloads can be dangerous. Remington Arms Company, Inc, cannot assume responsibility for damages or injury caused by handloads or reloaded ammunition."

Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.