1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TomJ, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJ

TomJ Member

A friend suggested that I try the following load from the Alliant manual.
    Cases: New style Win AA
    Primer: Nobel Sport
    Wad: DRRT12 (1 oz)
    Powder: Green Dot
    I'm using West Coast Magnum reclaimed shot and a MEC Grabber press.

The starting load of 19.6 grains/1,200 fps load gives a near perfect looking reload. 20.0 grains or more results in anywhere from an opening the size of a piece of #8 shot to a gaping hole. I've talked to Customer Service at MEC and they attribute it to either the powder being too bulky, wad height or combination of both. The folks at DownRange say the load should work. Customer Service at Alliant say it’s probably the base-construction of the new-style AA cases, wad height or combination of both.

The Problem: The 33 bushing works (drops 19.3 to 19.8 grains) when I operate the press manually, howeverk, when I use it in the progressive mode the powder weight drops approximately 5 grains (18.8 to 19.3). The 34 bushing dumps weights in the 20.5 or higher range when operated in the progressive mode, resulting bad to no crimps. I've tried everything I can think of to correct the problem. Unfortunately, I have thousands of AA cases and 8 lbs. of Green Dot. Would an adjustable charge bar help to maintain a more consistent powder weight? Yes, I've weighed the shot drops and seems to be acceptable. I'm frustrated as all get out and looking for remedies. Thanks.
    PS: My previous reloads looked and worked great.
    Tom

2. josh b

josh b TS Member

take a piece of emery cloth and lightly sand the inside of your 33 bushing untill you get your desired powder drop.
    good luck

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Have you tried the red plastic PC powder baffle? I found more consistent drops with it.

Is your press grounded? Static electricity can play havoc with powder drop uniformity. It is obviously more of a problem in cooler, dryer weather, so you may not have noticed a problem in summer. Sometimes a dryer sheet, stuck halfway into the powder bottle will help.

When you bring the handle down, pause a half second to allow the powder cavity to fill. Operate the handle consistently.

Once you'd gotten more consistency in your progressive powder drops (the only ones that count), open up the powder bushing to get the powder drop you like. Personally, I use the MultiCharge adjustable bar for 12, 20 and 28 ga. That way I can accomodate changes between powder lots (particularly PROMO). I can also adjust for the desired shot drop weight. The volume will vary between chilled and reclaimed, and between commercial manufacturers.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inorder to get rid of the hole, lower the starter crimp one turn at a time until it goes away. HMB

5. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

HMB has the answer for you -- lower the starting crimper till it goes away. You might also have to lower the crimper just a tad if the crimp is not deep enough to suit you after you lower the starting crimper. the beav

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Just curious, but where are you getting "West Coast reclaimed magnum shot"!? Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.