1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Problem w/ Winchester Super Lite

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I bought about 14 lbs of Winchester Super Lite Powder, I was loading on my MEC 9000H Hydraulic loader w/ Adjustable Charging bar, checked several drops to be sure I was dropping 20 Grains. I loaded maybe 25 shells and pulled one off and checked powder charge, it was approx 5 grs, I checked the previous shell and it was very lite on powder. I did not see any clumps when I poured the powder back into the keg.

So I proceeded to weigh every shell on my digital scale and a properly loaded shell weighed 559 Grains total weight, while weighing the aaembled shells I found about 10 shells short on powder, cut them open on the bandsaw between the shot cup and powder cup.

Opened the light shells and sure enough they were light on powder.

The powder did not appear to have any clumps or lumps when I poured it back into the container, I did it very slow so I could tell if any clumps or lumps were present.

I have loaded this npowder before w/no problems for 1 ounce loads.

The adjustable charging bar has to be closed quite a bit as Super Lite Powder is a heavy powder, and not bulky.

I am glad that I found the light shells.

I then recalibrated the Adjustaqble bar for 23.5 800-X and proceeded to load again, checks proved the powder charge was correc

What do you think the problem is, I looked through the powder drop tube for any obstructions and all was OK.

I am at aloss what happened.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I think you should quit using it before you are embarassed on the line with little bloopers. I'll send you my address and you can send it to me. I still use it but down to 4 pounds. That hasn't been made for at least 10 years. Bulge.

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Gary: I load the newer WAALite for my first shot in doubles.

I load 7/8 oz shot, AA Hull, W209 Primer, and 14.3 grains of WAALite.

This is an extremely fine powder and I have noticed that my PW 2000

meters one way and my Spolar another. Both have o-rings and the Spolar

is newer. The PW tends to drop heaver loads while the Spolar is much more

accurate. So my best guess is the charge bar doesn't like the powder.

Or your o-ring is bad. I can say that my loads are soft and break targets very

well.

Again, this is a very fine powder and meters very well when everything

iis just right.

Wish you luck,

Mike Cunningham

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I load a lot of PB & 7625 and I have to check regularly because the powder is so fine. Even with good O rings I would check a shell often. Get one of Gary Bulleys "UNLOADERS" it will be much nicer than your band saw. With my PW2000 I can remove the die after the powder is dropped check the weight and re insert it and keep moving

5. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Make sure your charge bar is moving all the way across. If it is only going part way it will do that. Hopefully you didn't have any that had too much powder. If you did then something is plugging up the tube going to the shell.

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Gary, i told you how to get rid of that problem real fast. Send me that powder. Bulge.

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Gary, I load 7/8 oz using AA Lite on my 9000H with no problems. I took the adjustable bars off my MEC's a while back because of the type of problems you describe.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Gary, Mike may be right. I use WSL and I do not use the adjustable bar and have no problems. Bulge.

9. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

GARY

I can duplicate your problem two different ways.

1st. By using an auto adjust bar on a Mec. The adjustable bars are designed in a way that the center of the powder hole in the bar is not exactly in the center of your drop tube on the downstroke. Using a small volume powder like WSL has a small hole to start with so when the downstroke in complete there is limited room for the power to drop. Pull your bottles off and make the downstroke and you will see what I mean. The bar has to be adjusted to make sure it goes all the way across, and even then, it is a good idea to take and extra second to let the powder get out of the charge bar and fall into the tube.

2nd. Ball and other small diameter powders will stick somewhere in the bottle or bushing if left for more than a few hours. Of course this may be directly related to temperature and humidity in your loading area. But mine must be perfect to make this happen because it will do it every time after a wait of more than a couple of hours.

Anyway, If I let the loader sit for any length of time with powder in the bottles and then start to load, in every case, the first few shells will be short of powder. Some will have no powder at all, some will have four or five grains, and others might have maybe half the powder they should have. It is never consistent, but there will always be some shells short of powder. This will happen with any bar not just the adjustable ones.

To solve this particular problem either remove your powder after every loading session, or on a Mec before you start your loading session, turn the top part of the loader that supports your shot and powder bottles back as though you were going to change one of the bottles or contents, and push your bar over a little and let it spring back on its own a few times. This jars the powder and fixes the problem. I actually do this on all powders when using a Mec. It has stopped the problem of having a soft shell once in awhile.

Mark

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Has anyone suggested using a true earth ground on your loader. Also adjusting the powder bar to stop centered under the powder tube. I once had a penny in my powder, this quickly gravitated to the bottom of the tube, what a waste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
wichester super lite powder
winchester aa xtra lite mec charge bar
winchester extra lite powder buy
winchester shells hole in the center mec
winchester super light load data

winchester super lite powder

winchester superlite powder data
winchester wsl powder