1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading price revisited

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Literalist, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

When shells were cheaper, I used up all my components and stocked up on new ammo...and haven't reloaded for 4 years.

Getting low on shells, I wondered if it was worth it to reload (I haven't priced components for quite a while.)

Well, I went to Graf's site and priced the items I use. Then I ran the cost calculator on here and came up with a cost of $4.20 per box (that's with my guess of $32 shot...maybe I can't buy it for that.) Now I know bigger volumes and, perhaps, some shopping around could lower it a bit...but I'm happy to use cheapies for singles and doubles, and I just stocked up on flats of Top Guns for $49.99 shipped to my door.

And I do know that reloading approximates premium shells...but for a hack like me, the Top Guns don't miss if I don't. And while some enjoy loading, I don't. Oh, a few boxes here and there is enjoyable sometimes...but thousands and thousands of shells is painful.

Anyone else given up the reloader?

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hi Lit, long time no chat! You hit the answer adequately, it's my position that if the reloading process isn't something you find fun, interesting, satisfying, building pride (name any reason like that) and instead it's a chore or seemingly a poor use of time, I'd avoid it; even if there was measurable savings doing it. DO, breakemall......BD

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I figured it out yesterday and I can reload for $42.91 per flat with lead @ $38/bag, if I can get lead for $32/bag I can reload for $38.72/flat. Locally a flat is going for $60 after tax so for $22/flat savings I think it is worth it.

1 1/8 shot
    Claybust Fig. 8 Wads
    17grain Red Dot
    Cheddite Primers

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Lit, you may be able to do a little better on the component prices by getting with Bosco. I know a few years back he would do a winter "buy-in" where the shooters there would get together to order a large quantity of components and shells. The orders were delivered by Crow Shooting Supply on a certain day, and you had to be there to pay and pick up your order. The savings difference from Grafs retail was significant enough that Dad and I could afford to drive the roughly 200 miles round trip from Il.

Loading shells would never pay if you had to factor in one of the major costs of producing any product. Labor. If you have time on your hands that nobody else will pay you for, then reloading can be worthwhile.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If I paid the prices on Graf's website I wouldn't reload either. The only way to really save is to buy in volume at larger shoots. Mike Graf sells much cheaper at the Grand.

6. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Just remember that Mike Graf and Graf and Son's are not the same (they are related) but not the same company. Mike goes to the shoots and has a store in St. Charles. Graf and Son's has the website and a store in Mexico MO.

Also make sure for your cost that you are including tax and expense of going somewhere to get the stuff which could be a lot further away than getting new shells.

Shot at $32 is pretty rare. I would think it is in the $38+ range before tax most places unless you are buying reclaimed or in huge quantities.

7. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

I just bought 12 flats of Estates, There 1-1/8oz at 1255 fps. for $42.99 a flat.
    At $38.00 per 25# of shot I don't think its worth reloading.
    I reload for specialty shells like 1-1/4oz #7,etc. used for Oakley and protection Pick up shells.

8. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Lit: I think I save some money by re-loading. But I really do enjoy doing it.

Also, I like to experiment with lighter loads, say 7/8 oz. vs 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz.

Another thing, whether buying components or new shells, compare Sales Tax rates at different cities. Sometimes that can make a difference of several dollars.

Allen

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I reload for $4.09 per 25 shells.

GB
    DLS

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Does Bosco even let you on the grounds at his club any more. After the...you know...incident?

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Since Nitros cost a lot more than top guns I reload them. Reclaimed for 16 yard and skeet is cheaper reloading, if you have it. It seems the price of shot is the deciding factor.

HM

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Well... I don't compare my reloads to Top Guns or promo shells. With the components I'm using, I consider them as good a AA's or STS's. I know they chrono more consistent than AA's. So I'm saving $3.75 a box.

Wayne

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As big as I am... I am sensitive to recoil. I self-load just to "slow things down" and "lighten the load"... lead or steel. Give me a 7/8oz lead or 3/4oz steel recipe anytime... light and slow increases the savings margin.

For games, I buy boxes as needed and ONLY buy my powders, primers and wads in big bulk to maximize economies of scale. A twist I'm seeing...

Buying Opportunity... estate and garage sales - there are many who we've lost to shooting and reloading... $10-20 bags of lead, $8/1000 wads, $20-25/1000 primers - I don't buy ES/GS powder...

Best regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.