1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading press

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I would go with a Spolar out of your three choices. I have a P/W 800+ and love it, especially for $700 less than the Spolar. If I were you I would definitely take a look at the PW 800+.

Where in Rochester do you shoot? Your screen name looks real familiar also.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Cool, I'm a member @ Mendon and Springwater.

I would pickup a basic reloading manual and find some load data there. You can also use Hodgdon's site for load data.

Don't take my word for the following:

I "think" Clay Dot data can be used for Clays. I may be wrong, I don't use either powder but I "think" I've heard the above.

Here's a load from Alliant's manual.

STS Hull

1 oz shot

Rem 209 Primer

17.6gr of powder

1200 fps

approx. psi 7,590

Like I mentioned, unless you are absolutely set on a Spolar take a good look at Ponsness Warren products. Their 800+ press is almost half the price of the Spolar unit and are much better than the Dillon and MEC units you are considering. If you want to check one out in person just send me a message.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You didn't say whether you were going to load 1 ounce of shot or 1-1/8 ounces of shot for your trap loads.

Clays is a great powder for 1 ounce at 1200 fps (though really, you don't need to load that fast) and a great powder for 1-1/8 ounces at 1145 fps or thereabouts.

Using Clays for 1-1/8 ounce loads at 1200 fps can be done, but you're bumping up against some high pressures.

Here's a 1 ounce load I really like for 16 yard singles:

Remington Hull <br>
    1 ounce of number 8-1/2 shot<br>
    Downrange XL-1 neon green wad<br>
    Hodgdon Clays (I use 16.8 grains, which gives about 1150 fps)<br>
    Winchester 209 primer

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Tom: If money is a consideration; I would opt for the MEC 9000G. 30 flats of shells per year is not a lot of reloads and as you say you have a lot of time to load. The cost would be a lot less than a Spolar or a Dillon and it will produce a quality reload. The MEC will load 2 1/2 flats a month, (average for 30 flats a year), without breaking a "sweat". :) However, if cost is not a factor, the Spolar is "top of the line". Good Luck. Ed

5. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I've been loading rifle & pistol ammo on a Dillon 1050. I was given a PW 900 and it was a very good machine. I recently got a Dillon SL900 and must say I am waaay happier. I think I like it so much because it is a Dillon. That is to say it acts like A Dillon and since I'm familiar with that, I like it. Especially the hull feeder.

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Tom, please stop and see me at Walworth, I have $$$ for you. Barney PS, Friday nite registered ATA. Hope to see you.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Having owned all the machines you mentioned I would select the Spolar.

Don Verna

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If money is no object, the Spolar is the way I would go. If you have a LOT of time to tinker, the Dillon would work, since you are already familiar with "Blue" machines. I load on a Mec 9000 the most. I don't have loads of cash and I use my Dillons for Metallics extensively, but never got around to buying the SL900. I have used a friends SL900 on many occasions and helped him get through the setup and learning curve. One thing to note. Mec has some of the best support available. I've heard that Spolar support is great as well. I've just never needed it, yet. There are other machines out there, but these were the ones you mentioned.

As far as your powder choice, I would strongly recommend a different powder if you are looking for 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz loads. Clays is a great powder for 7/8 and 1oz loads, and even the lighter 1 1/8, but it's too close to the redline for 1200 fps in most loads. Also, do NOT use Clay Dot data in place of Clays data. The two powders are similar, but NOT the same. I would recommend a powder that allows you to stay below 10,000 PSI at the max. I use a LOT of Promo, Red Dot, and Green Dot. Handicap and "long range" stuff usually has Unique or Universal Clays in the works. I have a lot of Clays on hand and use it mostly for Handgun reloading these days.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Tom

Clays will be great for 1-1/8 ounce loads at 1150.

Go to www.hodgdon.com and go to their interactive load tables.

You'll have to know what wad and primer you want to use.

I recommend Downrange XL-1-1/8 wads.
    [​IMG]

Use Winchester WAA12 data.

With Remington hulls, this wad, Winchester primers, 1-1/8 ounces of shot, and 17.3 grains of Clays, you'll have an excellent load (check the load tables, though.)

10. mt92

mt92 Member

No question Get the Dillon, I loaded 40,000 on mine last year. I have P/W for subgauges and do not shoot them as much because of the loader. For me the SL-900 just works and is fast.

Just my .02

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I started off with a Mec 600 then moved up to a Mec 650 then bought 9000G. Go with the Mec and learn off that one for a time them move up to the Spolar.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I started with a MEC 700 VersaMEC in 1974, graduated to a Grabber, progressed to a P-W, moved on to a MEC 9000G, really loved an RCBS Grand but my arthritic shoulder couldn't handle the rotational movement of operating a loader and I didn't want a hydraulic system. When the AutoMate came out for MEC 9000s, I bought a 9000E and an AutoMate II. I feel I've bought my last shotshell loader!

MECs are very simple yet "intelligent" loaders. You don't have to remember to turn the powder and shot on and off, they "know" when there is no hull under the powder drop tube and finished shells eject off the side or you can remove the ejection tab as I did so I can inspect and box each shell as it comes off the loader. They are easy to use, easy to understand, easy to adjust and there are lots of aftermarket goodies for them. They load as nice a shell as any other loader, do it with a lower purchase price and come with excellent service after the sale.

Ed

13. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Definitely look at the PW 800+. If you're considering both the MEC and the Spolar, the PW is in between them and a very worthy machine in its own right.

Got two (one in each house), love them. Owned 4 P-W machines in all, loved every one of them.

Tony

14. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Yeah, what ED said!!

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You might want to put the Hornady 366 on your short list of loaders. It will handle the volume you are talking about with ease. I like my 366's better than the PW800B I had. The Spolar is in a class by itself and if you can justify the cost then go for it.

Clays is one of my favorite powders but mostly I use it for 1 Oz loads. It will make an excellent 1 1/8 Oz 1,150 FpS load also. You will have no problem burning up your CLAYS stockpile. If you want to make higher vel handicap type shells then get some Green Dot or International Clays.

Also, I too have a well used Dillon 550b and think the world of that loader. That is one of the things that makes me think you would like the the Hornady 366. Both are tough machines that make quality ammo at reasonably high production rates. My experiences in dealing with Hornady support have been similar to those with Dillon - very good.

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Get the Spolar if you're in your teens and plan to live another 300 years. Will need to live that long to make the original cost worthwhile for 30 flats a year with Clays.

17. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I haven't used the Spolar but I hear it's the best out there. I'm thinking about getting one my self.
    For now I have a MEC 900GN and a PW800+ both in a 12ga. I also have a PW800B in a .410 that has loaded more shell then I can count.
    I like to set one reloader for 1oz loads and the other for 1 1/8 oz loads. This way I don't have to change much beside the powder bushing for different powders and check it my scale.
    They are all good. Just the the one that you like best and go for it.

18. AveragEd

jcl, MEC loaders do have that feature by design, and that design hasn't changed. When you operate the loader with just a hull in the deprime/resize station, the charge bar does not move. Only when that hull is in the reprime/powder drop station will the charge bar move, dropping powder. As you finish loading and the last shell clears the wad seating/shot drop station, the bar locks in place. No on/off controls for powder or shot are needed.

Those drops are not as "controlled," so to speak, as they are on an RCBS Grand, for example, which has gates that are opened when a hull is detected. But as long as the bar movement sequence remains as designed, a MEC progressive loader will not drop powder if no hull is present.

Ed

19. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Here's a Dillon SL900 for sale on the Glock Talk forum that I happen to see. No affiliation or interest.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211022

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

20. AveragEd

If you use a Grabber or a 9000 as a single-stage loader and insert one hull in the resize/deprime station and allow it to progress through the stations, the charge bar will not move to the right until the hull gets to the second station, where the new primer is seated and the powder charge is dropped. When the hull advances to the third station and the loader is cycled, the bar will move to the left and drop the shot charge after the wad is seated. If another hull is under the powder drop tube, the bar will move to the right to drop powder and the sequence will continue. But if no hull is present, the charge bar will stay locked to the left and not move until a hull is under the powder drop tube.

If your loader spilled shot and powder, the hook-like catch on the right end of the charge bar housing that holds the bar to the left probably was misadjusted and not holding the bar in place.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot powder in a ponsness warren reloader

trapshooter press