1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading paper hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by atadams77, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atadams77

atadams77 Member

I am going to start reloading federal paper hulls. Just for change of pace and I have lots of them left over. I did get the mec "smooth cone" crimp spindex for my 9000. Anyone reload these? Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!

2. creek

creek Member

I started loading Federal papers a few months ago, for something new. I have many once fired, and many that are older and appear dried out. When you say "waxing" what is the process?

Also, I use a six point pre-crimp and the crimps are perfect.

They shoot softer than plastic; I really like the papers.

John (CREEK)

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have loaded 1000,s of federal papers, no different crimp, no waxing or heat. No problem, just load them until they split or burn through

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

As a new found paper shooter, I too am interested in the comment about waxing..

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I use the paper cone crimp starter on Fed. papers. No problems on my Grabber. Setting crimp to deep can put a buckle in hull side but easy to adjust for. Once fired are good for about 3-4 reloads. Pinholes burned thru around brass and/or "confetti" in the air tell me its time to get rid of them. Feel good too.

6. gordy h

gordy h Member

Waxing, There is a electric hot iron to bring the wax back to the outside
    it makjes a much nicer hull to reload. I used one for years. You plug in the iron and slide the hull over the iron for a couple of seconds. Works great. Butch H

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I just use plastic hulls,faster no nassle. no nosense. Are papers worth the extra cost? If some one else loaded your gun, could you tell what was in it. Yes I know, they smell wonderfull. Clyde

8. Avaldes

The answer is probably no, but as with anything in this hobby, tinkering is its own reward. The rewaxing process is probably too much for me too, but it is interesting to see how it is done and know that there are people that love loading papers enough to go thru that process.

9. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Back in the 60's when all I had was a lee loader. An old timer told be to take the paper hull and put them in the oven at 110 degrees for about 15 to 20 min. After that I had no problem running them thru the hand lee loader. That was before I could afford a regular loader. I don't think lee had the stage loaders at that time. Wild Bill

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Wild Bill said. A few minutes in the oven at low temp will work. Still remember those halcyon days. (sigh)

11. creek

creek Member

WOW!
    I had no idea that is what waxing meant. I will probably just shoot up my 1,000 or so papers and get back to AA's.
    Thanks for the explanation of process,

John Radtke (CREEK)

12. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I get about 3 loads out of my Fed papers. Does the waxing give any additional hull life?

JMAC

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I reload mostly Gold Medal plastic now but back in the 80's and 90's I reloaded many thousands of paper hulls. i probably had an inventory of at least 3000 hulls. I stored them in the rafters of my garage where the suppertime temperatures were well above 100 degrees. Thus, my paper hulls were always dry and firm and easy to work with.

My favorite load was a Federal 209 primer, 18.5 grains of 700X, a Federal 12C1 wad and 1 1/8 oz. of Lawrence magnum 7 1/2 shot. I used thus load for just about anything and it would break targets with authority from 35 yards behind the house.

For a back up load for "Killers", I substituted copper plated Lawrence magnum 5 shot and it would break targets from literally anywhere.

Ed Ward

14. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

I reload them until they spit up paper chunks, or the crimp end gets too soft, or when the burn holes at the base become excessive. Never having kept track of times reloaded, I'm not sure which of the ailments I listed prompts the hulls to be tossed away for good. Before loading, a spin with my fingers around the crimp area shows if they are soft, when I shoot at the range and the hulls spits out paper I let them fly and then toss them after the round, or during a check before loading if the burn holes are too large, I toss them. Just a guess, but I believe I get about three reloads before I 'deep six' the hull.

I do this because I like the feel and performance of paper hulls, especially during freezing weather. Also, I reload because I still can. It won't be too long, me thinks, before Federal discontinues the paper hulls. No facts to back this up, but when the tooling for paper hulls gets worn, I don't believe they will replace it. The Gold Medal plastic will then be the flagship for their trap shotshells....

15. Avaldes

Last night I had to do a little experiment with some Federal papers. My wife had our kids in the bath so I popped 25 hulls into our convection oven for 10 minutes. I set it to 180 degrees.

I wasn't in for a whole waxing session, but I just wanted to see what would happen. When they came out they did not have a waxy feeling and left no residue on my fingers, inside or out. I did note that the color of the hulls got darker.

Once they cooled however, the mouths of the hulls were stiff! Clearly something melted and re-formed after cooling. These hulls had been reloaded once and were fairly soft in the mouth area....no longer. I reloaded one before the treatment and one after. The change was pretty impressive. The crimp looked factory new and held much tighter. Where the untreated hull had slightly frayed edges and was domed at the crimp.

So my assessment is that running them thru the oven for 10 minutes is totally worth the effort! I suspect that there is some kind of thermoplastic imbedded in the hulls. I would assume that melts and wicks thru the cardboard in the hull. No matter how you cut it, this procedure improved the "reloadability" of Federal papers. Two thumbs up.

-Aaron

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I've been there with putting the Federal Paper hulls in the poven, and when I get a batch of them I still do it today, I never load them until they have beed in the Oven, I load them w/20 Grs of Promo w/Rio Primer and a Windjammer wad, I wish I could get the 12C1 wads, a lot of registered targets were called dead when that RED base wad fell off the wad near the target. That red base wad would get to the target area damn near 100%of the time.

Enough of that, even w/ Promo powder I get that Federal Paper Smell.

Here in Ohio they draw moisture and swell up a little, but w/my oven at lowest setting 170 Degrees for about 20 minutes on a cookie sheet w/aluminum foil on it to keep the wax off the cookie sheet.

The shell itself looks like Authority, breaks targets w/Authority,and smell great.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot.

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I loaded plenty of Fed. papers and Win. paper Super-Targets back in the day on my P-W 800C. With the paper crimp assembly attached I made reloads that were a match to the factory stuff....especially on the W-W hulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
is the smooth cone a must for 12 ga paper hull crimps
lee load all stuck paper hulls
paper hull reloading

reloading federal paper hulls

reloading paper hulls
reloading paper hulls on a mec
rewaxing shotshells
trimming federal paper hulls