1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dsid01, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

Interested in getting into reloading would like guys opinion on if its worth it or not right now?

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

It's worth it if you have the time and feel as I do that reloading is a part of my shooting experience. I like the idea of tailoring my own loads. I can't purchase new shells at local outlets, that I want. That being said if your only reason is monetary; at this time the cheaper new shells are in the same area of costs as a reload. (Using todays reloading component prices). If you feel that you want to get into reloading for the enjoyment of loading your own "pet loads"; go for it. You might be able to purchase a good reloader at a good price. This due to many shooters buying cheaper new shells and deciding against reloading. However, I still think in the long run you will be able to also save $$$ using your reloads; as new shells are also rising. I guess you have to weigh the pluses and minus' and then decide. Ed

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ed's right. I'll reload to the end just to get the custom load I want to shoot. If the whole idea in reloading is just to save money and you consider it a chore, don't get into it....Bob Dodd

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Get set up to reload NOW dsid01. Right now with shot at $45 a bag it's hard to justify reloading at $6 a box when you can buy new STS's at Wal-Mart for $5.98 a box----------stock up on new premium shells NOW and next spring when STS's are going for $7.50 a box you'll have all those once fired hulls to reload.

John C. Saubak

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

dsit01, All good remarks above. The only thing missing I might want to add is, do you have the time? the room or space set aside for your machine and all the components you will need. You will need to buy them in bulk to keep the price down.Do you have a good supplier that you can buy from locally? It can be pricey to have shipped to you. A steady supply of free hulls to load. Keep in mind 5000 wads and primers, 8 pounds powder and 4 bags of shot to get started will run you about $650 plus the price of the machine and work area table shelves misc. to get set up. Or do you want to buy a few flats of shells at a time. Think it over.As stated above it can be fun to reload or it can be a chore.Have you tried it yet. Good Luck on your desision. Break-em all. Jeff

6. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Short Answer: No

Long Answer (short version):

If you have/can find a cheap local supplier, and a good used reloader, and have the time, then yes. The local supplier is the key.

7. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

i personaly enjoy reloading just as much as shooting, but both get boring if nothing ever changes. So to be able to tinker with new loads also changes the shooting . Its a win win

have fun

Rifle Guy

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Why I started reloading, was interested plus you can load custom loads. Then I got hooked on buying used loaders fixing them up and reselling. As for time I will reload on the days or nights I would normally shoot if it is raining. What is it worth? Well I ran my first 50 and 75 with my own reloads. I was able to load very soft loads for my wife. Locally to get what you want is tough. No one locally ever has the AA featherlights or STS manage recoil. So I reload. Right now I stock up on factory loads on sale. Keep my eyes open every where i go for reloading supplies. Also check out yard sales for anything shooting. If you are intrested keep your eyes open. My first set up was a mec 650 with enough componants to do 200 shells plus a scale for 100.00 for every thing at a yard sale. What you need to do. Go to a yard sale look for any hints of hunting or shooting then ask what they might have in the basement ect ect. Right now supply is poor. No one has shot, primers are thin and 38.00 to 45.00 per 1000. Also wads are poor selection and #s.

9. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

Thanks for all the great info. I think I will probably get into reloading eventually but, Pull & Mark brought up a good point about time and space. Those are two things that are fairly limited for me. But I guess if I really enjoy it I'll find the time and space. Thanks again.

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

To me it's as much fun to fill them as it is to empty them. Been loading since 1958 and hopefully will be loading in 2040. Buy in large quanities at good prices, there are deals out there. RG

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear RG

I have also loaded since 1958!

I continue to load because I can load shells that are not available on the market. I can load shells of better quality than those on dealer's shelves. Did I mention that it is FUN to break targets with shells YOU crafted?

As was said, buying in quantity will insulate you from component shortages and increases.

If it not going to be a chore and you have the room, the answer is YES.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There is a certain amount of satisfaction running a straight and taking home a little money with shells you assembled yourself. I don't know how much cheaper it is, but I can custom load whatever I like. The girlfriend likes a soft one ounce load and I step mine up a bit. I also have some 7/8 once loads that break targets nicely and save a little on shot as well. You can't buy many 12 guage 7/8 ounce loads locally. They just don't stock them AND they cost as much as the 1 1/8 ounce loads if you do happen to find them. Reloading also keeps me busy and out of trouble, for the most part.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Reloading is like cooking a steak. change something and it tastes different. Change something while reloading and the pattern changes, and/or the speed, or it just feels different. One can't reload to save money any longer, until the price of lead goes down or the price of cheap shells goes up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.