1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading ,opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by melbournemike, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I've been reloading off and on for close to 20 years,I reload to save money and tailor a light kicking load. I've been using redot for all of my reloads for 20yrs,I use 16.5 gr RD for all my trap loads 1oz or 1 1/8 the least expensive wad I can find ,lately claybusters cb15 I think and never have any problems i interchange wads and primers frequently.My question is with 16.5 RD is a light load of powder does it make any differance about the other components? Is there a combination that can drastically increase pressure ? I'm not looking for increased performance ,my shooting is too erratic to blame my loads.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have conducted a 20 year test with good results. Don't stop now. HMB

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, You really do need to find a listed load with the components you are/or want to use!!! If you are useing Red Dot powder go to Alliantpowder.com and look up reloading and find correct powder drop for your hulls,primers,powder,wad and shot drop. I take it you are already weighting your powder drops if you know you are dropping 16.5 grains right now. that sounds OK to a tad light for a one ounce load and very light for the l l/8 oz. load, around l7.5 to 18 sounds better for a l l/8th load. You need to find a load over 8,000 psi but under 10,000 psi for your powder to burn well, especially in cold weather (9,200 psi to l0,000). Don't forget to weight the shot drops as well to find out what you are really dropping there as well. Have fun, stay safe, and Break-em all. Jeff

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You mentioned a "light kicking load" as one of your objectives. Here are a couple of things that can reduce the felt recoil.

Use a straight wall hull with a fiber base wad. My favorite hull is the Federal Top Gun. They have a fiber base wad and the thin plastic allows the crimp to open easily.

Use a soft shooting wad. They used to call the Federal wads (12SO and 12S3) the "Pushin Cushion". The fact that the wad has the ability to easily collapse as the powder burns does reduce the felt recoil.

Jim Skeel

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

melbournemike- I would not do what you have been doing for some time. I would only use components specifically designed for the hull you are using. I want my reloads to be top quality. As far as total recoil the important factors are the weight of your gun, the weight of the shot/wad/powder and the velocity you push these things through the barrel. With felt recoil the major factor is the way the gun fits you. Shooting one gun may be very comfortable for one person and quite uncomfortable for another.

For a quick, and reasonably accurate method of comparing the recoil generated by different loads, simply multiply the velocity times the weight of the shot. The loads with low products will kick less than loads with higher products.

Pat Ireland

6. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I dont have to worry about cold weather loads as I live in Florida

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

melbournemike, 16.5 gr of RD and 1oz is what I use, year round in the cold too. As long as you are using tapered wads in tapered hulls you can use any brand. That is such a light load primer brand won't matter either. I have a stack of reloading manuals and I have never found any data to suggest a possible overpressure situation by random substitution with such a light charge of Red Dot.

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

And Promo is a direct substitution for Red Dot. Love that stuff...Works fine in Vermont winters also.

9. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Thanks jerry p thats what I thought but there have been a lot of horror storys lately and wanted feedback if anything new has surfaced!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.