1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading of blue RIO hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BLACKDOG, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I have a bunch of Rio blue hulls and see even more laying everywhere, has any one had sucess relaoding these. I will most likely shoot them at doves in Sept. I use a MEC 9000 hyd. loader, will buy what ever wads or primers needed. Any suggestions ??????

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Use of Rio primers and the Federal or Federal clone wads works well. This is basically the Cheddite (UEE) hull with the CX1000 oversized primer.

The Rio is a hot primer. 20 gr Clays or Red Dot, 12SO wad, with 1 oz of shot and the RIO primer is a world class load.

18 gr of either with the 12S3 and 1 1/8 oz is great as well.

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

They have a thicker base than most others and I tried them , had to adjust my loader and didn`t like the results . There are probably more Rem Gun Clubs black and green 8 pt around than any other and they load up very nice and since your throwing them , stick with RGC .

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Rio's are 6pt crimp. make sure you have the spindex

I think you have to use a straight walled type wad.

Rio primers are not as hot as the Fed209A primer.

I use Win data for the past 3 years and like the results, chronied the same as Win data with win primers.

I don't like shooting a reloaded cheapo/cheddite hull through a barrel I can not look through. Definatly not an auto shooting a 2nd or 3rd shot like you will do with doves.

You have got to be able to scrounge enough Gun Clubs to load up and if you load STS's then you don't have to go out and buy wads for straight walled hulls.

I love dove hunting too.

5. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I have reloaded them on a pw, and liked the way they fired. However I think that there are other hulls in unlimited supply that you will find more reliable and easer to reload. The ones already listed, but don't forget about the federal paper based hulls as well. shoot well Bruce

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

These are excellent hulls to reload ONCE and throw away. I have reloaded probably 50-70K of them with out problems. You must use a large primer like a Rio or Noblesport. Use cheddite data. Would not recomend loading these on a PW as I believe a Mec does a better job of supporting the hull in the resizing/repriming process which nearly elimnates the basewad problem.

Tom

ps never had a basewad problem.... never.... but always loaded them on a Mec with a Collett sizer

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Tom said.

These hulls load well. Rio is the world's largest ammo maker. These hulls will do fine.

Our club sells Diana and Kemen shells. Same maker. No problem. Makes a great Bunker load with the 12SO clone wad and a good bit of bulky powder. I prefer REX I for these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rio hull reloading data

wad for blue rio hulls