1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading newbe question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by m-man, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m-man

m-man TS Member

Hello everybody, I am new to trap and am planning on learning how to reload in a few months, i know i probably wont save any money, but i would still like to do it.
    I am getting familiar with the fact that you have to find the right recipe and get the specific components,

my question was about the FPS rating and the PSI rating,
    what is the goal?, what should i know about these ratings,
    how does altering these characteristics affect your trap game?

also, i remember seeing in the store that you can buy new empty hulls, are they real brands, like you would buy loaded shells, because if they are just random, how do you figure out what components fit, and what amount of powder is safe.

thanks
    (btw, thanks to your guys help, i got a beautiful 1100 trap model for $350)

2. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

you will find good load data at the powder maker's websites. The will tell you how much of what powder will give you certain performance, and which wads and primers you will need.Be sure to get a good powder scale to weigh your powder drops. You will neeed to decide how fast you want your loads to go for target-breaking and recoil. Most reloaders will advise you use Remington STS or Winchester AA hulls. Good luck.....stroker

3. m-man

m-man TS Member

lol, yeah, i came to the forum from Alliant's website, thats where i noticed the psi and fps rating,

for example, i was just messing around with the data calculator, and with a perticuar combination, you get 4 data options all with similar fps ratings, however 3 of those are between 8-10,000 psi, but one is only 6,700 psi

how is that one so much lower a psi, but still gets the same fps, and what does this mean when you are on the trap field?

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

This would probably mean less felt recoil from your gun. It also might mean that it would put less stress on your guns internal workings in the long run.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You need help pressure is not always a bad thing . Alot of the time it is needed to burn all the powder . If you use 1200 fps recoil is recoil pressure means little as far as recoil.

Buy some good reloading manuals and read them over and over . Then you will understand more about pressure . I like a load at or around 1200fps and a pressure around 9,000 or 9,500 .

ALF

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I would guess you are comparing different powders. The powders with slower burn rates usually create lower pressure producing the same velocity as faster powders. Example with Alliant's Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique powders.

If the pressure is too low, all of the powder charge may not be burned, this is not efficient if you are pinching pennies. I like the pressure level to be between 9,000 and 10,500 psi.

Actual recoil is a calculated using the speed of the load; the weight of the shot,wad & powder; and the weight of the gun. PSI is not included in the formula. There are a few recoil calculators available on the web. The formula is in Hodgdon's powder guide.

There are a few micro second difference when using lower PSI with the pulse of the recoil. Some people claim to be able to feel the difference. You can experiment and see if you can tell. What all this means while on the trap field is in the shoulder and mind of each shooter. :)

Make sure you include the purchase of a reloading scale in your budget. The bushing charts are only a starting point guide and drop light with Alliant Red Dot and Green Dot that I have used. Also different lots of powder often have different density, so you may have to change bushings. An Electronic one make seeing the actual weight a lot easier. The consistency of the drops do not have to be perfect.

Jason

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You will need a certain amount of PSI for your Remington 1100 function properly. It has a gas operated action and needs a certain amount of PSI to cycle. HMB

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

You made a comment "i know i probably wont save any money" ...quite untrue, unless you are buying your components at full "retail". check out the calculator located on this site.....probably pay half the cost of AA's or STS's.
    my latest calc says $3.61/box. If you are going to add a $$ value to your time, OK maybe then you can make a case for losing $$ but how many hours do you WASTE watching the idiot box??? LOL.
    In 20+ yrs of reloading, I have had a total of ONE bad primer, however shooting the cheapies, Rio/Estate/Gun Clubs I have had MANY duds....FrankC

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

flincher100- You gave some very good advice.

Pat Ireland

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

flincher100 That is so true... that is how i started out. Step by step as you said. Have you been reading my old notes? HEHEHEHE

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'll second the advice about starting with a MEC 600 and a new batch of STS hulls. Don't worry about making that special hot rod load, just the standard 1,150 FpS target load for now with common powders. The Red Dot load mentioned above will be a great starting point.

One thing you will want is a shell catcher for that M1100 and a vest or pouch that you can put your empties in as you shoot. As you get into the sport you will find better deals on components and you will have the confidence to buy in bulk. Watch this forum for hull sales, when you find someone with a bunch of STS or gun club hulls get at least 1,000 of them to start.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Addressing the pressure vs fps aspect first. The pressure depends more on the burning rate of the powder and how much of it is used. A slower powder generally tends to produce lower pressures than a faster powder using the same components. The faster powder is more efficient, since it usually requires more of the slower powder to attain the same velocity. What you need to think about is what pressures would be a good fit for your gun and needs. The 1100 seems to like loads that have sufficient gas volume and pressure to work the action properly. Too light and it fails to function. Too heavy and it gets beat up. Most loads in the 1145 - 1200 fps range work well, whether they are 1oz or 1 1/8 oz. I like to keep my 1oz loads around 1200 fps or a touch higher. I keep my 1 1/8 oz loads at around 1200 fps or slower. I use a pressure target of between 8000 to 9500 PSI. That allows the powder to burn efficiently and leaves a little room on the top for increased temeratures or anything else that might increase the pressure a bit, and still have the pressures at a reasonable limit. High pressures will eventually wear or damage your gun. Keeping them reasonable would help the gun last and give you a margin of safety. Loading to MAXIMUM pressures would not be something I would recommend.

A good powder to start with might be Red Dot ro Green Dot, since they are pretty consistent and there is a wealth of data for them. Always look for reliable published data. Stick to the exact components listed, since just one small change can change pressures dramatically. Swapping a different primer could increse pressures almost 3000 PSI and take an otherwise safe load, over the established limits. I like Red Dot for 1oz and Green Dot for 1 1/8. Red Dot can do both and so could Green Dot.

The FIRST thing you should buy is a good scale. That will allow you to weigh and double check the powder charges. Going with a bushing chart does not ensure that the powder charges will be proper. You need to check them and adjust the bushings or charging system accordingly.

The best advice I could give you, would be to find someone that is a careful and experienced reloader and have them walk you through it. I'm participating in a reloading workshop at one club this weekend. It is something we do for the members that would like to learn how to reload, or find new tricks and techniques. We have a host of experienced reloaders that will help the newbies learn how it's done. It's a hands on routine and a chance for someone to get started the right way. We cover Metallic rifle and handgun, along with shotshell loading. We'll even touch base on black powder if there is an interest in it. You will find most reloaders will jump at the opportunity to help get someone started the right way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.