1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading mistake

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by seeone, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seeone

seeone TS Member

When reloading tonight I accidently dropped about 10 #81/2 shot into my powder bottle, witch I had just refilled with powder. Now can I continue to reload my shells with no drastic problems, or should I remove the shot from the powder? If I remove the shot, anyone have good ideas to find the shot among all that powder. Yes I know I am mentally and perhaps physically challenged , but please help me out. Thanks.

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I occasionally do that myself when I'm tired and recovering components from bad shells.

I have found a large wire mesh strainer that has a mesh that looks like aluminum window screen. The mesh is large enough to easily pass flakes of Clay Dot but too small to pass shot down to #9. (I suppose aluminum window screen would work by itself). It's an easy matter to drain the powder into a 2-quart plastic bottle and then pour it through the strainer into another container, remove the shot and refill the hopper...takes all of 2 minutes.

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Kitchen wire strainer or I have used a minnow net. The smaller the screen mesh the better.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

You definitly need to screen the shot out of the powder. This can be done several ways, the easiest way is with a cookie sheet and a credit card. Using a cookie sheet, with sides, tilt it at about a 15 degree angle from flat and pour a small amount of the shot/powder mixture onto the sheet and then use the credit card to slowly move the mixture around in a verticle fashion. The shot will roll to the bottom and the majority of the powder will stay elevated.

ec90t

5. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Drop the powder in to a bread pan or such then gold pan it can get 95% 0f powder off top and only few pellets in powder to screen rest off with Jon

6. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Is that 10 individual shot? Why would you be concerned about perhaps one or two BBs in a load. What would you expect to happen with a few BBs in you powder?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

ec90T, would you elighten us how you developed your technique? (hee hee).

HM

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Then place the powder/shot mixture in the common kitchen strainer and shake it into the large funnel placed in an empty powder jug. Should take all of 60 seconds to decontaminate your powder.

9. JLW

JLW TS Member

Lead Magnet from the hardware!

I usually just pan it out but I know guys who do not remove it and they seem to have no problems if there are only a few pellets.

Side note: A few years back a lady at work wanted to post an employee vacation chart on the large glass office windows for easy employee reference. I and another gentleman overheard her so I offered a glass magnet.
    The lady held the chart to the window while my friend, on the outside of the office, secretly held a washer to the corner of the chart and....naturally, the magnet held.

It took her a while to catch on and then she was upset with me. Why?-Jerald

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Halfmile,

I wasn't always a Trapshooter. Lol. I didn't think anything about it until after I posted it. Oh well.

ec90t

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

ec90T, I figured that.

HM

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Glad to know there is some people with a good sense of humor left on this board.

ec90t

13. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Just leave them in there, they aren't going to cause any problem even if all 10 were in the same shell. It might be a little weak from the powder the shot displaced. Remember the powder drops by volume not weight. Richard

14. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I would remove the shot from the powder... I accidentally dropped a few pellets in the powder bottle once and just ignored the issue, thinking it wouldn't make much difference. I had several bloopers in the shells that I loaded that day. I thought maybe the few shot pellets had migrated to the bottom of the powder charge and obstructed the primer flash hole??? Anyway, I know I'll never just "let it go" again.

--Dan

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

ec90t - good sense of humor? Yeah right, there are some who think a good sense of humor is ... well ... never mind.

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I was once struck curious about this, and so I dropped a couple of pellets in the bottom of a few empties, then loaded them. They worked fine.

17. Sargentyork

Sargentyork TS Member

Don't load with it the few pellets that remain will filter down through the powder charge abd sit directly on top of the primer causing Unknown misfires. One misfire for me means one or two lost birds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.