1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? Reloading Mishap ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ed Y, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I just went down to my basement loading room to load up for the week. I use a Ponsness/Warren Platinum 2000, Remington STS hulls and Winchester 209 primers. When seating a primer, it went off right in front of me. There were no pellets under the primer to ignite it. I have the hull with the spent primer and no indentation in the cap. It's the first time that this has ever happened after loading hundreds of thousands of rounds. Any thought other than maybe I should be wearing a face mask. Fortunately there was no damage to my pretty face.

Ed Yanchok

2. richrob

richrob TS Member

Happened to me not to long ago, there was another thread on this discussing possible causes and solutions. -Rich

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- First, I am glad no damage occurred to anything or anybody. You are the only person with any direct observation that might be able to figure out what went wrong. Could the primer ignition push out any dent that may have been in the primer?

Pat Ireland

4. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

It happened to me with the same exact reloader. I load in a very small room wow was it load but I was not hurt.
    Don

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ed, I know it scared the hell out of you, I have been known to seat one upside down with a Mec 9000H and it never went off.

6. Ed Y

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I just went down to my basement loading room to load up for the week. I use a Ponsness/Warren Platinum 2000, Remington STS hulls and Winchester 209 primers. When seating a primer, it went off right in front of me. There were no pellets under the primer to ignite it. I have the hull with the spent primer and no indentation in the cap. It's the first time that this has ever happened after loading hundreds of thousands of rounds. Any thought other than maybe I should be wearing a face mask. Fortunately there was no damage to my pretty face.

Ed Yanchok

7. richrob

richrob TS Member

Happened to me not to long ago, there was another thread on this discussing possible causes and solutions. -Rich

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- First, I am glad no damage occurred to anything or anybody. You are the only person with any direct observation that might be able to figure out what went wrong. Could the primer ignition push out any dent that may have been in the primer?

Pat Ireland

9. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

It happened to me with the same exact reloader. I load in a very small room wow was it load but I was not hurt.
    Don

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ed, I know it scared the hell out of you, I have been known to seat one upside down with a Mec 9000H and it never went off.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

How about your pretty shorts?

12. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I have had it happen once with a MEC 650. Scares the hell outofya.

Forrest

13. Ed Y

Pat,

The back of the primer is pristine. Not a scratch or dent in it.

Ed Yanchok

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ed Glad you didnt get injured. Got your attention fast didnt it. Dave

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- I am intrigued. Any ideas about how this happened. I am convinced from my crushing primers in a vice last Winter, that some sort of sharp blow is required to ignite primers. A slow crush will not do it. Can you see the position of the anvil in the primer?

Pat Ireland

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The one common thing so far between Ed's mishap and the one mentioned on a previous thread, is the Winchester primer.Thankfully, I have a decent supply of STS's on hand. It sure makes you think about wearing safety glasses while reloading. I wonder why every book on reloading that I've seen writes that in as a cardinal rule. Makes you wonder how dumb we can be at times.
    Good health and shoot well, Bob H.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The good part about the PW design is that the primer will be enclosed if it goes off....it will vent up thru the empty hull.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rick- I know of another accident involving primer discharge in a column of primers in a press set up to load pistol shells. There was a metal rod that pushed down on the primer stack and the person let the rod fall free for several inches detonating one, or some of the primers. He lost part of his thumb.

The situation described by Ed is very different.

Pat Ireland

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I can remember with the old AA once-fired, I would often get a "thread" of red plastic that would let the primer fall out when depriming, but hold it in suspension. When I'd try to insert the new primer, the new primer would push the old one back in followed by the new one.

Sure made a helluva mess in caving in the base, but I never, ever had one go off doing that.

I did have a primer go off when I was depriming culled hulls. Sure made a mess on the front of my tennis shorts, but other than that, nothing signifcant.

Whiz

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I use Platinum and have trouble seating Win primers in Rem hulls. They often stick out just a little. Adjusting the press to seat deeper just makes the brass concave. The Rem primer is rounded at the top edge. The Rem hull has a ridge at the top of the primer hole that corresponds to that. It's easy to see. The Win primer is longer and squared at the top and must push past the ridge. I wonder if that could have cause the detonation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.