1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading might be a thing of the past

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Libra1310, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

Had a good conversation with one of the local gun shop owners here on Long Island and he claims that reloading will be completely irrelevant in 2 years or so. Not that I reload but he said the government is trying to ban the sale of reloading powders to the general public. Don't know how much this is true but thought I should share the info.

Chris

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I hope your info is incorrect. Jake

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

4. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Lautenberg introduced a bill that would require background checks to purchase powder but far as I know it doesn't have the support to pass and Lautenberg himself 'passed' in June. The idea is still out there in the democrat mind but I hope it never gets any farther.

Don T

5. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

As he stated to me, the current administration is trying to use the Boston bombing as an excuse saying they used store bought reloading powders. I hope he is wrong as well, it just means the prices are going to go way up. Sad state of affairs if he is right.

6. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

Does anyone remember, at one time in New York State, you needed to have a "powder permit" to buy smokeless powder and couldn't buy more than 1 lb. of black powder at a time? I'm 66yrs. old and I do.... They did away with it a long time ago but who knows what's next.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I think cost of lead is going to kill shotshell loading. If lead makes one more dramatic upward jump most will be forced to shoot far fewer rounds than has been common in the past, and at that point there really is no point to reloading for most shooters.

8. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

"completely irrelevant in 2 years or so" hoggwash! but i agree there will always be more "Lautenbergs" too bad he waited so long to kick off!

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

More gun shop BS. Who comes up with this stuff?

10. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

I think we need to start spreading rumors of prices dropping then the hoarding may slow down and prices will actually drop. Sometimes hearsay will cause things to happen. from what I see here lead and powder are becoming easier to find. I was in a panic for lead a month ago and now it's all over here. Good thing cause I was almost out.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

skeet man asks "who comes with this stuff?" Don't you notice the fear mongering from the dittoheads on this site?

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Check out this website, scary stufff

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Will the gubmit require a background check to buy a pressure cooker too?

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

With the government that we have now. We have to watch what they are doing right letter to your congressmen. I can see a big up rise in the people if something like that should happen. But I don't think so. There to much money in tax's and fees that the government would loose out in.

15. oz

oz Active Member

I believe the it was in the news that the boston murderers used fireworks for their powder

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ban fertilizer, McVeigh used it.

Sheesh.

HM

17. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

"Quote" I'm trying to work up a good 1 oz. load with fertilizer. anybody got one.

Ha..haaaa...hah..ha..he..haaaa....that's too funny Jack.. LOL

I'm pretty sure sure when you do get a load worked up you'll have to be very careful. Fertilizer and BS are very similar in composition..and a "blend" will likely be required to control "cylinder pressure".

Resulting in the possibility of shooting your mouth off if you have too much of one, or the likely hood of causing a sh%%$# mess with too much of the other.

I'm pretty sure I've already seen examples of this happening on this forum from time to time...but no one is owning up to having a recipe yet.

Ha hahah ha....Stan

18. ShotStop

ShotStop Dedicatedto keeping gun clubs open and shooting.

Actually, lead may get far more reasonable. As more clubs install shot curtains, lead will be easily recovered daily/weekly and can be sold back to club members. Lead shot one weekend can be reloaded and shot the next weekend. By example, Redlands will soon start producing 12,000+ pounds per month of reclaimed shot with a projected price of about $1.00 per pound.

A private club might be wiling to sell it back to members at $15-$20 per 25 pound bag.

19. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Shot curtains, interesting. That would lessen the impact on the environment too I'm all for it. I use a lot of reclaim and see no difference in my scores and actually I think I have had better scores not that I think it shoot better but I use 8's reclaim then when I shoot a tournament I shoot 7.5 but I haven't shot but a few tournaments. Next time I will shoot 8's and see what I can do. I get reclaim here for $27 a bag.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sure a gun shop owner would say something like that. He wants people to continue panic buying - those guys never had it so good.

Can't think of any other industry right now that is at full capacity with years of back orders. Kind of ironic isn't it? The evil gun grabbers have managed to put more guns and ammunition into the citizen's hands than in any previous time.

Search tags for this page

reloading a thing of the past