1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Metallic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

For the past year or so I've been collecting supplies to load metallic cartridges. I have everything but a press and I’m hoping for some reviews of presses that you use. I currently use a Mec 9000 for shotgun, but I'm leaning towards a Lee Classic turret press. It has been several years since I’ve loaded metallic, but I don’t think it will take long to get back into the swing of things.

Yes of course I picked a great time to start looking for a press; everyone is out of stock of everything.

I'm reloading for 45acp, 9mm, 6.5x55, 7.62x54R, 308, 30-06, 303 British.

Thank you,

Tim

2. John55

John55 Active Member

Dillon 550 for a progressive type. It will handle anything from pistol thru belted magnum rifle cases, quality is first rate and the company has excellent customer service.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dillon for progressive, and Co-Axel for single stage.

4. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

A vote here for Hornady Lock n Load AP.

Chevy or Ford? Which color do you like best...blue, red, or green? It boils down to this! They all work just fine once you climb up the learning curve.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The Lee press is basically ok, but the flimsy plastic powder and primer handling parts are pretty poor. I won a complete loadmaster outfit and spent a week working with it. To make a long story short, I boxed it up and gave it to the brother in law that I really don't like. I am not going to waste my time making marginal ammo.

At that time I bought a complete Dillon 550b. I put it together just like the book said and by the 6th time I pulled the handle, It spit out a good, properly assembled .45 cartridge. It has continued to make a good round, every time I pull the handle since then. I buy my primers 5000 at a time several times per year. In 10 years I wore out one little plastic sleeve, and a simple phone call later, they sent me a couple extras.

6. daveship

daveship Member

Another vote for the dillon 550. Great machine!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.