1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Metallic Cartridges...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Justin L., Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of something that will help me learn to load metallic cartridges. I'd prefer a DVD or tape that would walk me through the process, but books wouldn't be bad, either. I had a friend show me a long time ago, I just don't feel comfortable doing it on my own after such a long lay off. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

RCBS has a good loading manual. Maybe Lyman. I have many and not sure whose is the most informative.Better check.I also collect Handloader's Digest.
    Lyman has a bigger book.Bigger print. Likely bigger pictures.
    Good Luck. I will check my books and get back to you.I am sure someone would have DVD but do not know for sure.

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

As with shotshell loading, I think the best method is having someone show you, like you did before. Two questions: do you have the equipment? And can you guess which cartridges you'll want to load? If you don't have the equipment, your purchase decision will be partly driven by what you'll load. Phil E

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Lee manual is hard to beat.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When I started I had the Hornady book, it was just one volume back then.

I got much information. And some unnecessary concerns, after I learned more.

I would suggest a trip to your local public library, and picking a lod manual like Lyman or Lee. Browse through before you buy, in the store.

You need a book anyway. If you're like me you need 3 or 4.

You can collect the handout manuals from the powder mfg, but they all have websites now so the info is there if you need it.

There are also forums like this one only more into rifle and pistol, with lots of loading topics.

The high road is one.

Varminter, Predator masters, etc.

Some of them don't get much traffic.

You can also get an individual book about each caliber, like 270 or 45 auto.
    They cover a whole bunch of stuff about the specific round.

Have fun and clean out that extra room, you're gonna need it.

HM

6. 100straight

100straight Member

Here's a website (above) with just what you are asking for (with lots of pictures!). It covers all you need to know to produce quality handloads in fairly small quantities. You can always move on to a progressive loader if you start shooting a lot.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

7. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Thanks for everything so far, guys, keep the comments coming!

Just to verify, I do have all of the eqipment to get started, and it was all used when I was taught about reloading before (so I'm not completely in the dark).

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Justin L.- Get onto the Brian Enos(.com) forums and you will have literally weeks of metallic cartridge info reading. I've been on and off the site for months and have only scratched the surface of the info I want to go over. E-bay has cd's on various aspects of metallic reloading, books too. If you have any gun shows locally one could find info there as well. Good luck, let us know what you find. Sincerely.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.