1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading manual confussion

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by edthearcher, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

how many trap shooters check the amount of powder that goes into there hull
    I checked my loads against a 2008 Imr powder guide useing two electronic scales. one a pact scale and a rcbs scale useing 700X powder
    catalog says # 32 bushing 19.3 grains pact scale says 16.8 rcbs scale 17.3
    catalog says #33 bushing 19.7 gr, pact scale says 17.5 rcbs says 17.8
    catalog says #34 bushing 20.4 grains pact scale says 18.0 rcbs says 18.4 gr.
    catalog says #35 bushing 21.2 gr. pact scale says 18.4 rcbs scale says 18.7 gr
    the point is what you think you might be reloading just might not be true especially if your trying to load up a handicap load I just thought this might be intresting

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You should try some punctuation here if you want your stuff understood.

Apparently electronic scales suck if I read it right.

Use a bullet to test your scale if you can't afford a test weight.

My balance scale reads right all the time.

HM

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

electromics are fast but I check it with a balance regularly. Balance is always right on

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

"try to avoid information overload and getting wrapped around the axle."

This good advice works on the line, as well.

5. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have a PACT and a Lyman DPS 3. I often use both scales and as Jerry B mentions, if the scales are properly warmed up and calibrated they measure the same. If you don't warm up the scale or calibrate it, that can contribute to varying readings. Also electronic devices (cell phones etc.) can cause some scales to read weird.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Quick way to check your powder scales: Keep a couple of new dimes on your loading bench shelf. They weigh 35 grains!

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

but the manuals seem to be really far from the correct amount. To me there should not be a 2 or 3 grain difference from the book to my balance scales. My scales are correct.. i check them. Goes to show you always check ,, check,, and recheck your weights.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Ed, your first couple of examples show that your scales measure about 2 grains less than the mfgr says for a certain bushing number. I use Red Dot for singles and Green Dot for Handicap and don't use anything else. I have a PW loader and my powder drops by the balance scale are quite different than the PW bushing charts but pretty close to the Hornady bushing charts. I can use Hornady bushings in my loader. I haven't used any 700X for about 25 years but I do remember 700X required a small diameter bushing compared to the Red Dot bushings and I believe that if you are dropping a low volume measure of powder there could be more discrepancy than what the mfgr publishes for bushing drops.

9. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Holy cow did edthearcher just get thrown under the bus on his post or what. Dam he was just trying to make a point and gets his but chewed for no punctuation. His scale is off and what ever else the guy did wrong. I would say he will think twice about posting on here again. Ever hear "Its not what you say but how you say it" give the guy a break.

Corey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.