1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading information

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mtg, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtg

mtg TS Member

Hi, My name is Mike. I've readinng this page for several years. It is enjoyable to read and learn from. I would like some help is possible. I wanted to do some reloading so I purchased a mec grabber. It came with Promo powder, Remington STS primers, clay buster #4118-12B wads. It was using a 29 bushing, dropping about 18 grains of powder in Remington STS hulls. I cannot find any information on the loads. Any suggestions welcomed please. Thanks.

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

check out www.alliantpowder.com should have all the info you are wanting.

Bob

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

The above website should help you. Good luck in your new venture. Reloading is a very real part of the shooting process. IMHO. Ed

4. mtg

mtg TS Member

Thank you for the response. I have another question. The Alliance page did not give much on the premier powder. It said was compatable to red dot. Looking at the recipe for all components I have, the wind jammer wads CB4118-12B do not seem to be the correct wads for the reccipe they give with the premier powder. I have STS hulls, STS primers and clay buster wads which does not seem to be workable combination. Any hel-greatly appreciated.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

mtg: I would use the Red Dot recipes if you can't find the proper recipe for the Promo powder. I load the STS hulls and use the DownRange wads. (DRTGT12 for 1 oz. loads and DR-XL-118 for the 1 1/8 oz loads) The Remington equivalent are the Tgt12 (1 oz) and the Figure 8 (1 1/8 oz). I feel the DownRange does the job as good as the Remingtons for a lot less money. I use the Fiocchi 616 primer instead of the Remington for the same reasons. 18 grains of Promo is a good load. (I even load 17.5 grains for 16 yd. shooting). Be sure to purchase a powder scale and routinely check powder drops. You can find used RCBS scales on ebay or wherever for $25 or so. Good Luck. Reloading is rewarding and can save you a few bucks. Ed

6. THE POSTMAN

THE POSTMAN TS Member

mtg:

The Alliant powder website lists one load using Remington STS,Nitro 27,Gun
    Club,and RXP hulls using your components: Rem209 primers and CB4118 wads.

Promo powder: 18 grains; CB4118 wad; 1 1/8 shot;1200FPS;10,710PSI.

Check the Alliant website,you might consider switching to the CB3118 wad,
    which is a substitution for the Remington figure 8 wad and have more
    flexibility in your choice of reloads.

Wilbur Poston

7. THE POSTMAN

THE POSTMAN TS Member

Mike:

The Alliant website lists a recipe using Remington STS,Nitro 27,RXP, and
    Gun Club hulls using your components.

Promo powder:18 grains; CB4118 wads;1 1/8 shot; 1200 FPS; 10,710 PSI.

Review the Alliant website and consider switching to the CB3118 wad,which
    is a replacement for the Remington figure 8 wad,to obtain flexibiltiy in
    your reloads.

Wilbur Poston

8. mtg

mtg TS Member

Thank you for all your advise today. Worked with my reloader quite a bit today, spent more time cleaning up my mess than anything else. What I did learn is I have a number 29 bushing, 502 x 118 charge bar, dropping about 7 1/2 grains of powder-so it looks like I'm in the ballpark. I also have quite a few of the CB1118 and CB 4118 wads I'd like to use. I do not see anyway you can get a 1 oz. load with the charge bars that they provide. So I'm going to work with what I got until I can figure out something different. Once again, I'd like to say thank you for your help. Mike

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, If you want to load up some l oz. loads you need to buy a second charge bar for a l oz. load. You will need to find out which powder bushings you will need as well, so that you can buy all at one time. You may want to change powder when your supply runs out. Try Clays or Alliants copy called Clay dot. Both are very good. Buy powder bushings that will work for these powders or what you might like to try. Red Dot, 700X, Hodgdon Clays, Clay dot and Green dot powders seem to be the most popular types of powders, so you need to have many powder bushings on hand to use these. Buying these on-line at Gamaliel Shooting Supply or one of the others are a good place. Or you can also find them at your local Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain as well. I do like to load l oz. loads myself. That's why I load 12 ga. shells. l oz. loads around here are hard to find at any price. Just remember to always use data found on a website or loading manual and always use a good quality shot. I do as most use clone type wads, my favorite powder (after trying several) and a good primer. Some of the off brands are hard to find reloading data for. If I can not find Data for a primer I will not use or buy it. I have tried Nobel Sport primers as they are the same as Win AA's primer. I am using them up, but I honestly can say that I don't recommend them. The Cheddites have some problems with firing pins going through the out-side plate and burning the firing pin in your gun, so try a few of these before you buy alot at one time (some guns OK). Good Luck in your reloading and be safe. Weigh your powder loads and lead as well. Most Mec charge bars need to be reamed out a bit. They always drop a bit light, and are set up for chilled shot and if you use Magnum shot like you should be, it will need be reamed out even more. Break-em all. Jeff

10. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

This site can get or give you alot of info and alot of help. You can also learn alot but all in all find someone at your club that you trust and have them show you the ropes on the loader. The do's and don'ts. Reading about something is one thing and doing it by hand is another. Get someone to sit down with you and he will show you what you really need to learn and know. Loading bad shells can be bad for the gun and bad for your safety. Reloading is worth the time and money but do it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.