1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading: Hulls with frayed mouth - ok??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jvsomers, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvsomers

jvsomers Guest

When you get a hull that has a frayed edge, should you toss it or can it be used? Thanks

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If you mean frayed as in it looks like a belt sander sanded the plasic up on the ends. Yes, they are still good to reload. As long as the crimp will still hold the shot in the case. I will still reload a hull with one split in the crimp, but will toss it if it has two or more. If hulls are hard to find, use the ones you have to the fullest. Good Luck, and Break-em all. Jeff

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Worn hulls can be safely reloaded up to the point where the brass head slips off the remainder of the hull. But, I want to go to the line with shells in better condition than that even if it costs me an additional 10 cents per box to use good hulls.

Pat Ireland

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

As long as the shot doesn't end up in your pocket or shooting bag.....load 'em up! Shoot and load them till they look like you drug them behind the truck, then load them up one or two more times then throw them away. But then again I'm a hull whore (LOL).

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

If BB's don't fall out, anything is good enough for practice! Who cares. During a registered is another story.

6. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Pat mentions when the bases are about to fall off, I don't know how you could know the brass is about to fall off. What I have noticed are longitudinal splits along the body of the shell. The tops can get a bit ragged, but for my own rules, if the top splits and the crimps are not correctly formed or if there is a split in the body, they are tossed out.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Pin holes or splits in the crimp, dump them or load one more time and dump.

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Why would you need to?

Most everyone who's asked says that they reload so they can have a shell better than factory. So why would you load all that good stuff into a junk hull?

Morgan

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Captain: Exactly my attitude, I agree with Pat. With components being so expensive, 12 cents or more per shell, and hulls being so cheap (worst case they cost 5 cents and are good for only 10 reloads, or call it 5 reloads, so hull cost is one cent per shot max) why would I waste 12 cents in components to save a penney & have a questionable shell? If it gets frayed or cracked, I toss it. Even my "practice" is serious shooting, not just making noise. Phil E

10. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I wouldn't do it unless Grammie said it was ok.....

11. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Phil has nailed it. In fact, most reloaders consider the hull "free," since they saved it or picked it up. Why go to great lengths to preserve something that is free?

Of course, I have reloaded shells with rather tattered crimp folds, and they still go bang and break targets. But I prefer to dump them in a "last time bin" after 4 or 5 reloads. Its nice to have a bunch of hulls to let fly so you can monitor the condition of your ejection springs from time to time.

12. Cush

Cush TS Member

I shoot a lot. Every hull I toss is one more time I gotta hurt bending over to salvage someone's tossed STS or AA. A frayed hull still performs perfectly well, so why toss it? When they starting splitting the sides or crimp folds, or don't open up adequately, they go. O/wise, it's one more time around club.

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Here we go!! Back in the mid to late 70's I was a little on the slack side for money. You all have experienced this, Anyway, those who have been married and had children,house bills and such. I loaded and shot what I could get my hands on. Thank goodness I had a great gun that could handle the junk I threw into it. Yep, You guessed it! A Remington 870. That went for not only trap shells but hunting as well. Everything was above board as far as safety was concerned, I thought. I don't shoot them any longer but I remember shooting a Federal paper that was so ragged when the gun went off not only did the shot and wad come out but gobbs of paper as well. Got to looking at the hulls a little closer after that. And, started tossing those that were not even as ragged as that.

Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

14. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

I toss the hull at the first sign of failure, split petals or pin holes at the crimp.

Gavin

15. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

In my experience, weak crimps were ok with faster powders like in target shells and give a bit lower pressure, and maybe tighter patterns as well but not in slow powders where the resistance is needed to get good combustion like in HV, magnum payloads, or hunting shells.

With that, I use my old style AA's 'till the bitter end; either thay have a split in the side or as well said above, more than one lengthwise tear at the crimp.
    best regards

16. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

When in Doubt .. Throw it out!!

17. primer

primer TS Member

Two more loads after they split. That is what us poor folk do.

18. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Probably, but why? Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.