1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADING HULL CRIMPS PICTURES ADJUSTMENTS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nsrailroad, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Is their a website that shows hull crimp pictures , problems and adjustments.
    I saw a couple of things today, not on mecs website.
    Railroad

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I personally am not aware of any but it's a good idea. I wish MEC would develop a video clip series for curing problems and making adjustments as well as for add ons. And I don't mean the mini clips you need a magnifying glass to read. Good idea Railroad but I think it's wishful thinking. Dave

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

nsrailroad. I have owned MECs, and now own a PW. When I got it from Whiz White, I stuffed some new STS in it to typical recipes and loaded away. Adn I had a very nice crimped load with no changes to the factory settings. It then dawned on me to change components to accomodate the factory settings rather than mess with the adjustments on th loader. Adn so far the idea/concept has worked perfectly. And I will pick up odd hulls once in a while just to see how they would load with my settings and first measure the length of the cavity, pick a wad that is good to that length and finger fit it to see how the od of the wad matches the id of the hull and load it up. The results of that thinking seem to be good. Although, I am still loading STS exclusively. The odd hulls are just for fun. The only componentes I have are fig 8 in green an white, a variety of primers, Green dot, Titewad, PB, and hard shot. 7-1/2s or 8s make no diff to me. If the wads do not fit the hull, I pitch the hull. But so far AA, Top guns (I had a few 12S3s around) nad others have worked out. And all the crimps are good.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have been on a PW P2000 for many years in fact I think I bought one of the first ones. I have never changed factory settings and I have loaded about every kind of hull and wad and powder availanle.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

My experience is different.

I use an 800+ for AA's and STS's. Spolar for GM's.

The 800+ gets tweaked between AA's and STS's. I guess I am anal. I could get by without doing it, but I like the crimps to be perfect.

I find little or no adjustment needed between different recipes with the same hull. I do not vary recipes much. I have settled into a handful of published loads.

The worst machine I ever had for adjusting crimps was a Dillon 900. I sent the head to Dillon and it came back not much better. Sold the thing.

I got good crimps with the MEC9000G, but got tired of missed primer drops and powder/shot spills. It also found a new home with a more talented operator.

Make small changes and read the instructions. In most cases that will get you to your goal. If not, manufacturers offer help over the phone. PW does not have a good service reputation but I started working with Whiz White (S&W Supply - see his link on TS.com) three years ago, and he is a superb resource.

Your crimps can look like factory shells.

Don Verna

6. hduc2005

hduc2005 TS Member

I am shooting in Mayville this weekend and I know some of the guys that work at MEC so I will bring up the video thing and see what they have to say

7. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dillion 900 crimp adjustment