1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pitt100, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitt100

pitt100 TS Member

I have a MEC Jr and i'm trying to reload AA hulls with
    20gr 452AA
    wwaa12 wads and
    1/1/8 oz 7.5

I can't keep the hull from either crimping in the middle around where the wad is or at the base where the brass begins. I've adjusted the the final crimp up and down with the hull problems above. Adjusted the cam with no better results. The only time I got hulls with no buckles was when I added 40 pounds of pressure to the wad. The final crimps were pretty deep though. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm lost. Thanks.

Rick

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

When Winchester came out with the new hulls they put out a recommendation to increase wad pressure so the shot wad would go past the base wad in the hull. It seems like it works.

Ajax

3. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

The starter crimp is where the problem is, you need to adjust it so the opening in the mouth of the hull is very small, less than the diameter of a pencil.

4. harley1

harley1 TS Member

Hello Rick, Welcome to Winchesters new and improved HS hulls. I've had the same problems in 12 and 20 guage HS hulls. Found I had to use Remington wads in the 20 guage hulls to eliminate crushing the hulls. For the 12 Guage I have found the only solution was to discard a bunch of the Early HS hulls as the problem was a manufacturing one. When the first HS hulls were made the Plastic base was seperating from the walls of the hull and migrating up inside the hull. When you apply enough wad pressure to shove it back in place you over compress your wad and the pattern is affected, if you don't jack up the wad pressure then the base plastic is higher inside than it should be and you end up buckeling the hull when you make the final crimp.

I thought Winchester dumped most of that defective HS junk up here in Canada but maybe some got sold in the US.

Very annoying problem , load a box and dismantel 10 shells , more time spent trying to save your components than making ammo. Eventually Winchester fixed the problem and it's better now but not as good as the old Compression formed AA hulls or Remingtons STS's

Good Luck

5. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Royce10 has it right, just like MEC calls it....GJ

6. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I would second or third Royce however you may want to check in with Curly-nohair on shotgun world.com. He is a true MEC guru and will save you a lot of time diagnosing and correcting your issue. Just pm him on sgw.com and he is always happy and quick to respond.

Good luck,
    Dan

7. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I would second or third Royce however you may want to check in with Curly-nohair on shotgun world.com. He is a true MEC guru and will save you a lot of time diagnosing and correcting your issue. Just pm him on sgw.com and he is always happy and quick to respond.

Good luck,
    Dan

8. KW post 5

KW post 5 TS Member

I dont think there is any adj on a 600 jr

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

IF your shells are bulkeling in the center or bottom, you have to much pressure on the final crimp. Back it off and add some to the pre-crimpl (and wad) as said above. Adjust cam so that it closes the hole in the center the best and your good to go. Once set it will work fine on the STS's as well with no adj. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

452AA is a pretty fine powder, 20 grains should be no problem. Like the others have said, start by turning your crimp starter down a half turn, bring the final crimp up a half turn, set your wad pressure so it just moves past 30. Or you can call MEC, they will walk you through it.

At last resort 452AA is a really dirty powder for 12ga. Sell the stuff to a .45acp handloader, they loved the stuff, WST replaced the 452 and a lot of handloaders would give you top dollar for it.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.