1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Help Sought

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by apd949, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apd949

apd949 TS Member

Need reloading suggestions for Winchester AA hulls. Have a MEC Grabber with the biggest bushing being a 32. Need load suggestions to approximate a 3 dram equivalent target load using 7 1/2 shot, Winchester 209 primers,CB wads, and AA hulls. Need a stronger load than what I have been loading using Red Dot powder. Wife has an auto and its not cycling her shotgun using a 2 3/4 dram approx. load. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am just about out of Red Dot.

2. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

for a 1oz load, 18.0gr Clays, for an 1 1/8 load,21.5gr Unique. I use Duster wads, not Claybuster, but they are close. I use a #32 bushing for both. Be aware though, you will need to weigh out the powder. I polish all my bushings to get the powder drop I need. Bushing to bushing can be very inconsistant. Both loads are 1200-1250fps. Light recoil on both and no prob cycling an auto. Good luck.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yah-ah. Fix her gun.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

If a gun will not cycle a 2 3/4 dram load it needs to be repaired.

Go to the Alliant web site for loads.

Do you have a scale? If not, do not use anything close to maximum loads.

Don Verna

5. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Gun Problem +1 (or a bunch more)Your ammo is probably OK.

What is she shooting and to what extent have you gone to make it squeaky-clean ?

Charlie

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Take gun to a qualified gunsmith and get it looked at. Reloading problem solved.

ss

7. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

What model gun is it?

8. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

My suggestion - Please, if you value your eyes, hands and other parts of your body that are not replaceable then get your reloading data from powder or wad companies or from a reloading source such as the Lyman Shotshell book, 5th edition. It may be the best investment you ever made at about $20.

Your wife would or should be included also in what you value.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

As others have stated, if an auto won't cycle 2-3/4 dram loads, something is wrong with the gun. Wayne

10. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

A few questions:

What kind of gun?

I agree about having the gun checked out. If you have not strip it completely down clean and oil all moving parts, try that first.

You loading 1 1/8 oz of shot?

Do you have a scale? Alliant bushing charts tend to drop light w/ progressive machines. If you have a scale what is the range of the powder drops.

If you do not have a scale, what bushing are you using?

Jason

11. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

My 1100 will cycle 7/8 0z loads at aprox 1200 fps.

I use a light coat of Break Free on the magazine tube, not so much to make it cycle as to make it easier to clean.

Works for me.

tom

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

apd949

What model of gun? What are the EXACT details of your load? Shot weight? Which CB wad? Exactly how much powder is your #32 Bushing dropping? If you are NOT using a scale, DO NOT LOAD ANOTHER SHELL UNTIL YOU GET ONE AND START USING IT! (sorry for shouting)

If the gun is a 3 1/2" magnum yada yada, it might not do well with 2 3/4" target loads. If it's a 2 3/4" target gun, it should function with most 2 3/4 dram eq loads.

If you really want to go faster, I'd recommend buying the right bushing for a proper load, if need be. Many slower powders would require a larger bushing to get normal weights. Using a faster powder can be a hazard, since they tend to run up pressures as you increase velocity. Try to keep your pressures under 9500 PSI or so, and not much lower than 7500 if possible. I have absolutely NO problems with Red Dot or promo in my autos. Green Dot works well too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.