1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Heavi Shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shipbuilder, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Anyone have any experience reloading Heavi Shot from Ballistic Products? Can you reload 2-3/4" on a MEC Grabber? Create load similar to Classic Doubles?
    Is there any cost saving?

Jim

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Here's a little info to start with...

Curt

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have reloaded hevishot for several seasons now. I buy my reloading supplies from bucksrunsports.com. Unless you get some super deal on store bought hevishot it is much cheaper than buying the shells. You can also get shot sizes you can't find in the stores. My favorite for ducks is 5 shot. I find that the 2 3/4 inch shells are all you ever need for any range.

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I'll give you the recipe I used last season.
    12 gauge 2 3/4" Cheddite hull,
    win 209 primer,
    36 gr. of Alliant Steel powder,
    Sam 1- 2 3/4" wad,
    547 gr. (1 1/4 oz.) hevishot,
    1 felt spacer in shot cup under shot,
    1,450 f.p.s.,
    at 9,100 p.s.i.,
    with this load of no. 5 shot through an improved modified choke I was knocking down ducks at ranges that had to be seen to be believed.

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Shipbuilder, I don't believe you should be using HeviShot from BP in any old doubles which is what is implied by your reference to the shells being marketed as "Classic Doubles." I believe the Hevi Shot pellets available for reloading are harder than steel. Worth checking on before you go out and ruin the barrels on your Parker Invincible.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

What Hitapair said.

The short version is that the Hevi- available for reloading is 12g/cc (heavier than lead and harder than steel) and the shot in Classic Doubles factory-roll is in the low-mid 9's - lighter than lead, and still hard, but compressible enough to flow through chokes.

You can get both Bismuth and Nice Shot from Precision Reloading and they make champeen bullets.

Dropping through your loader ...? eh ... you'll get a volume-for-volume drop (assuming you can drop large shot w/o issue), but the weight will be less.

All of my working guns are old Brit doubles. PM or mail me and I'll give you a couple of Bismuth/Nice Shot starter-loads for: Teal, Big Ducks and Geese.

Bob

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I reload my hevishot through a Mec Steel shot reloader with an adjustable charge bar. I weigh a couple of shot drops before I reload to make sure they are accurate. You need the larger drop tube made for steel shot. You can weigh each shot charge individually. I use a plastic adjustable shot dipper and a digital scale. You get pretty fast at it. It isn't like you are going to be shooting boxes and boxes in an outing. The limit of ducks is only 6 where I live. You don't have to hit them more than once like you so often do with steel.

8. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Hitapair:

You are right, I am attempting to replicate a Classic Double load that I can safely shoot in a vintage full choke shotgun without damaging the choke or barrel. In this case a Model 12 Duck Gun.I don't want to create something that would cripple ducks.

Jim

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

If you have to shoot through an old barrel or fixed full chokes then hevishot is not for you. It is harder than steel. With hevishot you can go one shot size smaller to equal the performance of lead. With bismuth you have to go one shot size bigger. Bismuth is not as good but it can work in any gun and with any choke. I have reloaded bismuth. I have not used the new hevishot classic doubles for old guns and fixed full chokes but I have used tungsten matrix which is also good for any gun. You can't buy it to reload but it is very good shot and kills ducks dead. Hevishot is the cheapest to reload. I don't know if you can even buy bismuth for reloading anymore.

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Bismuth is available in the UK. Guys on other sites are annually putting together large orders. I haven't participated in the group orders as I prefer the Nice Shot even though its more expensive. I just checked and Precision Reloading does carry Bismuth shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bismuth or hevi shot for reloading

bulk heavier than lead shot
hevi shot for reloading
hevi shot reloading

hevi shot reloading recipe

hevishot for reloading
tungsten reloading shot
where to buy hevishot pellets for reloading