1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Gun Clubs - Wad Issue-Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miketmx, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I read the other thread about the primer seating issue but I'm having a problem with 1 oz Claybuster CB1100-12 wads in a once fired Gun Club. I use a P-W loader and I probably load 10 1 1/8 oz loads for every 1 oz load but I have had no problems before using real WAA12SL or TGT12 or Green Dusters or Down Range 1 oz wads only Claybusters cause a problem. Out of 50 shells for the first shot in Doubles I had about 7 bloopers or very weak loads. I'm using 19.8 gr Green Dot with a Fiocchi primer and it seems like some of the wads are getting crushed or giving a very poor powder seal. I don't know whether to give away the remainder of the bag of wads or raise the wad seating ram which works perfectly with AA hulls or Gun Clubs and 1 1/8 oz wads.

2. pudgie

pudgie TS Member

Wads are not the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I also have a P/W reloader and have used the same wads, hulls, and powder, with the exception of Fiocchi primers, with ZERO issues.
    I agree with pudgie, it is NOT the wad.

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your powder choice may be the problem. What are you useing?

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

He said Green Dot...19.8 gn.

Keller

6. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Why do you say the wads are getting crushed?

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have loaded 10's of thousands of Gun Clubs with Downrange Wads, Green Dot, and FIO or WIN primers and have never had a blooper or misfire.

I have a good friend that is that loads the same thing but with Claybusters (the Win clone) and he has had lots of bloopers in the last few months. I consider him an experienced loader and this is driving him nuts. He cant seem to figure it out and is giving up on this combination. Is it the wads????? I dunno. Easy enough to buy a bag of different brand wads and find out though.

8. miketmx

I just discovered something about the Gun Club hulls; they have so much crimp memory that on the bloopers the CB wad was maybe catching on the mouth of the hull and going in crooked inspite of my wad fingers being in good condition. There could be a combination of borderline faults with my recipe. The Green Dot works great for 1 1/8 oz Handicap but is not so great for 1 oz loads. The Fiocchi primers are difficult to insert into a Gun Club and may be a bit proud out of the steel base and are not as hot as a Winchester primer. My next small batch of 1 oz loads will be made with AA hulls and if that does not give better results I will junk the Claybusters and get some more Promo powder instead.

9. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Don't give up, it's not the wad. I use the exact same combination as you, except I use Cheditte primers & 19.7 GD. I find the 1 oz load great for just about everything. I don't recall ever having a blooper.

10. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

i had the same problem i found that my fingers was leaving the shell before the wad got a good start cocking the wad now and then i lowered the wad ram helped me

11. miketmx

After having the bloopers with the 1 oz loads and Gun Club hulls and Clay Buster wads, I loaded 350 Handicap loads with 1 1/8 oz shot, WT12 Western wads, AA hulls and used the same powder bushing that still drops 19.8 gr Green Dot and I did not change my wad fingers. All the Handicap loads worked perfectly and I shot some good scores with them. I just finished carefully inspecting the 100 remaining 1 oz loads with the Gun Club hulls and Clay Buster wads and I found 16 shells with little bulges in the side. I cut open each suspect shell and found 4 with badly cocked wads and 12 with wads that went in straight but each one had a tear in the over powder cup and the tear was folded back onto the cup and would give a very poor seal. I will only use the remaining 84 shells for practice certainly not competition. My conclusion is that something bad occurred when the CB wads were inserted into the Gun Club hull ??

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I think your 1st assessment is also correct, the GCs do have a stiffer mouth than the AAs so the wad guide will not go down far enough into the hull, I had a similar experience with "nicked" cup portion of wads, I wound up just helping (pressing down) the wad guide a little as I pulled the handle. Only wads I tried that still gave me problems were DR so I don't use that brand.--Ross Puls

13. miketmx

Thanks Ross, your last post caused me to measure the length of the Gun Club hulls and guess what ? The Gun Club hulls are longer than the AA hulls by about the thickness of the rim on the steel base. On a P/W loader the height of the wad guide is not adjustable but the wad ram can be raised or lowered. Possibly my plastic wad fingers were catching on the longer and stiffer crimp mouth of the Gun Club hull.

14. MBT-99D

MBT-99D TS Member

I to load the wt-12 wads at 1 1/8 ounce in the gun club hulls with winchester primers and green dot powder and have had no complaints of issues what so ever.

15. miketmx

On the weekend I used all 100 of the 1 oz loads I made with AA hulls and the CB wads and they all performed without a single blooper. I too am finished with steel base hulls for reloading I don't need the hassle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wad catching in gun club hull