1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Gun Clubs - Primer Issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have always loaded AA's but recently have been reloading gunclubs as well. However the steel bases seem to give my 9000G fits because it only wants to seat the primer about 80% of the way alot of the time. Causing the rotation to bind up etc. Anyone experience this, do I need a new spring under by primer station? Usually twice fired gunclubs it is OK but new ones it is an issue.
    Thanks
    Pete

2. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

ajust ur powder drop a tad down

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

My guess is that you're using some other primer than Remingtons. That's what causes the problem. The Remington primer is among the shortest and has the roundest nose of any primer. The plastic at the end of the primer tunnel molds itself to the shape of the primer nose. This plastic overlap stops square nose primers short of seating unless you can force the primer past the plastic.

A MEC press should be able to do this. I can't do it with a P-W so I pre-prime a few thousand fresh GC hulls on a Lee Load-All II and use them in my PWs as I need to replace hulls. As was suggested, you can drop the powder tube down a bit so the hull is pushed onto the primer with more force. Or, you can ream the plastic out of the end of the primer tunnel with a drill bit inserted in the same direction the primer would be. You don't want to remove all the plastic overlap, just enough to ease the primer's entry. You can use a #1 bit although I prefer either a 5.8mm or 5.9mm. Mount the drill bit in something and push the hulls over it. Wear a glove so the bit doesn't bite you if you push too far.

Keller

4. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Yeah they are Win 209 primers. Having to ream out the hulls seems like alot of work. Maybe I'll try adjusting the powder drop.

5. zaob1

zaob1 Member

I have loaded hundreds of GC several times each on the 9000G, cheddite primers and have no problem.

Rick

6. coff

coff Member

Having used all different primers, Remington works best. At $44 per 1000 they should. coff

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

CC, Keller is exactly right. You will have this problem using non Rem primers in once fired Rem hulls. You can't adjust the press for this.

8. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

PLEASE just ajust ur powder drop been reloading 36 yrs i no the mecs once fire r tuff sometime need a little extra i bet 10 thousands down tc

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Yes, try adjusting the powder tube down a little at a time. The MEC has the advantage of supporting the primer tunnel from the inside while pushing the hull onto the primer. The PWs only support the rim of the base so the base deflects up and leaves the primer proud of the base by whatever amount. I can seat anything flush with a Lee Load-All; you should be able to do the same with a MEC.

Keller

10. EEB

EEB Member

I've had this ame problem with Win 209s and Gun Clubs. Adjusting the powder drop is the logical solution. Wish I'd thought of that.

11. pudgie

pudgie TS Member

have always used wen209 in my gun club hulls,never had this problem.

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I usually load Federal Gold Medal's on my 9000G. When I reload a Remington hull, I need to drop the powder drop tube a tad to fully seat whatever primer I am using, usually a STS, in the Remington hull.

This is a simple step using an Allen wrench. Remove the powder and shot bottles, remove the internal powder drop tube (it has a flared end), loosen the Allen screw in the black compression band, and gently tap the external tube
    with a plastic screwdriver handle or similar object. Tighten the Allen screw, replace the internal drop tube and see if the primers are now being seated properly. Adjust the external powder drop tube upwards or downwards as necessary.

It is not rocket science. If in doubt, check out the manual that came with your loader.

One thing to watch out for when using different brands of primers is a primer being pushed into the powder drop tube when the press handle is pulled down with a primer in the primer station and no hull between the primer and the external drop tube. I have had a primer enter the external drop tube and hang inside the external drop tube. When this happens, the powder drops slowly during the powder drop and spills on the press or on the loading bench.

Ed Ward

13. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What school_teacher said.

I have loaded 10's of thousands of Gun Clubs with WIN209's on a MEC 9000.....no problems at all. Adjust the powder tube down until the primer is seated properly. Its in the manual or on the online manual if you dont have yours.

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

If the press is adjusted to apply more pressure to seat the problem GC's , then what happens when one switches to , say, AA's which work normally? The primer will be set too deep. That is what happens with my PW, never used a mec. I have seen some that won't accept a non rem primer regardless of the pressure. I have seens STS brass distort and the primer still not be seated.

15. skipsor

skipsor Member

This has come up before on Shotgun World and the remedy is to ream out the primer pocket with an appropriate sized drill. Unfortunately Shotgun World is down so I can't give you a link but Unknown 1 mentions it in his reply.

Personally, I have not had this problem after loading many hundreds of RGC's with Winchester, Remington, Federal and Cheddite primers, but I use a MEC Sizemaster single stage press

16. wlc

wlc Member

I have had the same problem using Winchester primers and GCs. Adjusting the powder drop tube helps some. I switched to Cheddite primers and have not had any more problems. MEC reccomends a certain amount of spring compression for primer seating. You may have to exceed this by quite a bit to get winchester primers to work.

17. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Here is a list of primer sizes that was published in the October, 2009 issue of Skeet Shooting Review that might helpful to some that haven't seen it.

Point A was taken at the top of the primer. Point B was taken as close to the base flange as possible.

Primer Brand

Point A Point B

CCI .239" .241"

Cheddite .238" .243"

Federal .242" .241"

Fiocchi .243" .243"

Nobel Sport .242" .242"

Remington .241" .240"

Rio .245" .244"

Winchester .236" .242"

Wolf .238" .242"

18. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Use the manual, the unit is out of adjustment. Remove shot & powder bottles, place a primed shell on the reprise station, lower press handle all the way down as if you were inserting a primer. Next, measure the gap under the Allen screw that is locking the reprise tube and the base of the reloaded. If I remember correctly the gap is supposed to be the next size up Allen wrench used to tighten the reprise tube. Depending how old the machine is it could be a weak lower reprise spring...doubtful though. I don't care what anyone says but drilling out the primer pocket is only looking for the next Darwin award winner!

19. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

no need 2 remove anything loosen allen take grips an pull down on the drop pipe

20. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Amen Doughboy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington gun club drill bit primer