1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading foulup?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Phil: Before cutting up 200 rounds I would take a box to the range and shoot practice. If they seem to work, then if it were me I'd use them for shooting some practice trap, skeet, 5 stand whatever. Even if they bust the targets ok, you still will have doubts in your mind and it will affect your shooting in league, registered, whatever. It's hard enough concentrating, without having to worry about the shells you are shooting. Ed

2. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

What hulls are you using? If they are the new AA's you need a tappered bottom on the wad to get past the lip on the new AA 2 piece hull. Like esoxhunter says shoot a few a see what they do (use them for practice).

Hawk,

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

hawk- what 1oz wad do you reccomend for the new aa's?

i've been using purple pc's.

brett d.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I use the Claybuster 1100 wad for AA's and STS's.

I even loaded some in Top Gun hulls and they worked OK.

Don

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I would not just start shooting them.

Almost seems like you may be using the green Rem TGT12 wad instead of the white Rem Fig 8 wad. Cut the worst looking 3; weigh the powder and shot. If the shot and/or powder are not within what the various 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz load recipes, then salvaging the components is the prudent thing to do.

If indeed you have used the TGT12 wad instead of the Fig 8 then as long as your recipe is below 10,500 psi, I would go ahead and shoot them for practice.

Jason

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

chatbrat lets think about this for a moment. The TGT 12 has a shorter cup and a longer wad section than the fig 8 because the fig8 must hold more shot. The wad ram seats the wad by pushing against the bottom of the cup until it reaches a certain depth. That depth when set correctly for a 1oz charge would not be deep enough for a 1 1/8 oz charge. You should expect to need to set your wad ram slightly deeper to get the correct crimp. Is there a reason to suspect the last 200 1oz loads or is that just where you started reloading again. If it is just where you started again I would not cut them up.
    --- Chip King ---

7. 870smokim

870smokim TS Member

1st. stage of crimp to low crimp should be smooth adj. mec. blade screwdriver and 7/16 open end wrench. been there Joe.

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I would just shoot them. I once loaded 1300 shells on a Hornaday 366 that somehow got a small piece of paper lodged in the powder canister and even shot them at a state shoot. Most of the shells were alright with only a few blooers.

Rollin