1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading for .410

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gary2279, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary2279

Gary2279 TS Member

Hi I just bought a mec 9000g press for .410. I was wondering if any one knows what would be a good powder to relaod with. I have a 12gauge press, and I use Clays powder. Someone told me not to use Clays for .410 i was wondering why.

Gary

2. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Check the powder manufactures web sites - IMR-Hodgen-Winchester, and Alliant. There are several good powders for the 410 with the proper component mix. The 410 powders are generally for that guage only. Billy

3. Gary2279

Gary2279 TS Member

Hi I just bought a mec 9000g press for .410. I was wondering if any one knows what would be a good powder to relaod with. I have a 12gauge press, and I use Clays powder. Someone told me not to use Clays for .410 i was wondering why.

Gary

4. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Check the powder manufactures web sites - IMR-Hodgen-Winchester, and Alliant. There are several good powders for the 410 with the proper component mix. The 410 powders are generally for that guage only. Billy

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Flincher, don't laugh! There's a guy at our gun club that honestly figured he was all set to make 7/8-ounce 12 gauge target loads by just using his old 20 gauge bar on his MEC with 700X powder. He doesn't even own a scale and figured this 20 gauge bar would be probably close enough. I'll bet this type of thing happens more than you think! I just cringed when he said that! ...Rick

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Try H110 or WW296 (same stuff). Clays burns too fast for the small gauges. There are only a few good combinations for loading the .410. The data printed on the bag of Winchester HS wads is one of the good combos.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

H110 or WW296 as Wolfram suggested.

I use Hodgdon Lil' Gun which was specifically developed for the .410 using Winchester AA HS components.

Please heed the advice above.

Also, MEASURE your powder charges. Bushing charts are notoriously inaccurate!

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Hll0 is the standard around my club for most of the shooters who reload the baby bore.
    Timb99, I have not used Lil Gun because the pressures are sky high when you compare them to Hll0, which is the same as 296. Why would Hodgdon make a powder with that much higher pressures than Hll0. I thought, but not sure that it was made, and came out before Hll0 was made and was a older type powder that they kept around because it had a following of users who like using what they have always used. So how could be made for the HS hulls?? Could you explain this for me abit more?? Just curious. Break-em all. Jeff

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Pull & Mark if you have loaded .410 before you will know that one of the problems in the 2 1/2" shells is room H110 requires more room as it take more powder and the density is almost the same.

Also interesting to note if you do not load AA 296 is defiantly out of the picture as that is all it applies to. Using STS hulls with H110 there are only 5 published loads.

Lit'Gun has some lower pressure loads with Rem primers in STS hulls and allows more room in the hull and makes a better finished shell. Of course these are only my opinions. based on long term use.

Bob Lawless

10. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

I have the same press for 410. I ues a #9 bushing for a drop of 13 grains of Lil Gun. I use win wads and hulls. works great for me
    Pete

11. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i use a grabber with # 8 bushing for 12.5 grains of lil gun.

rem sts hulls, rem wads & primers..

ernie

12. fly

fly Active Member

H110/296 are the same powder in different packaging. Lil Gun is not as fine a powder and will not leak through the bar when loading like the 296/H110 will. I have loaded thousands of 410 shells with great results. My personal choice is lil gun, Rem STS hull, Win or Rem Primer, and a Rem wad. For liability reasons use the book for weight of powder charge.

Is your Mec a newer version that has a device to hold the shell carrier down on the upstroke? If not, I sell a device that attaches in minutes to help in the loading process. AKA, Smooth Operator.

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Alliant 2400 works great in the STS hulls which have a slightly greater capacity than the AA or Federal hulls. Follow published load data.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

IMR 4227 is a good .410 powder also. I do not have the data handy, but it is on the website.

15. shaner

shaner Member

ive loaded for the 410 for years and have used bout all powders the companies recommend but lately i started loading the new alliant powder 410 and iam real pleased with it , a powder made for the 410 ga , give it a try , and ive used 700x for years in 20 ga if you read the manuals they list a lot of loads for it in the 7/8 oz 20ga , i used 14.5 and have for years , shoots great?

16. Pull & Mark

Bob, I have loaded the baby bores for only a year now !!! I have loaded all three hulls with my reloader and 3 different powder bushings according to hodgdons data for Hll0. I have found no problems getting a good crimp on any of hulls with a full load of lead. I also have not had any powder leaks at all after getting new rubber washers and the metal washers that install under them. Thanks again now I know what Timb99 was saying. Break-em all. Jeff

17. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

One of my favorite powders for the .410 bore is Alliant 410. Loads seem to go together easy.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pull & Mark (Jeff),

This is an e-mail I got from Ron Reiber about a year and a half ago. Ron is a product manager at Hodgdon (besides being a nice guy and a heckuva sporting clays shooter with a 28 gauge and a .410, to boot.)

This was in reply to my query asking about his recommendations for what powder to use for .410 reloading (I had mentioned H110 and W296, specifically.)

"Any of the suggestions given to you would have made a good standard skeet load, but I personally use Winchester HS hulls, Winchester 209 primers and the Winchester WAA41HS wad with 13.5 gr. of Lil' Gun powder. Lil' Gun is a powder that was designed exclusively for the 410 and delivers top performance. We used Winchester components when we designed the powder, so it logically follows it would be ideal for the best performance. I use it for sporting clays, since that is my primary use of the 410."

Hope that answers your question.

Tim

19. nevin

nevin TS Member

I like Alliant 410 powder with claybuster wads in AA HS Hulls

20. Pull & Mark

Thank You too Tim. All good info. Its always nice to get more people's input on any given load. I'm using a tube set so I like to keep the chamber pressures at a min. for any given load. I love the 28 ga. for sporting clays I'm just not brave enough yet to try the 410. Give it time. LOL Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
410 bore reloading data

410 reloading data

410 shotgun reloading data
best powder for 410 reloading
imr 4227 load data 410
lil gun 410 load data
win 410 reloading data
winchester 410 reloading info