1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Fiocchi low recoil / White Rhino

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Any body ever reload Fiocchi White Rhinos or the blue low recoil shells. I have a bunch of once fired hulls, and thought about reloading them once. The have pretty high brass on them! didn't know if there was any certain recipe to use?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Sure. You can load ALL Fio low-plastic basewad hulls using FGM data.

If you want a sweet, cheap 1-1/8oz wad, the NS 'Trap' wad (Fio) that Graf's has is sovereign.

Bob

3. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I have been loading mostly all AA and STS/Nitro loads for my sons gun, but was looking for somthing to load for my daughters Rem 1100 prefer a 1 oz. load. Just thought I could put all of those blue Fiocchi hulls to use!

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Good plan, and actually a good hull and idea.

DR XXL-Orange or CB 6100-Green, Win/Rem/NS/Fio/CCI(regular) primer, 17gn of RD/Promo, Clays/Clay Dot, e3, 700X, Bullseye, Solo 1000 ...

Or, if you want to go 7/8, change wad to CB 0178 or DR XXL-Pink and keep powder at 17gn, and it will cycle just fine and eat the skeets up too. (you'll have a little powder migration with them, just don't let them slosh around in your truck for a month and you'll be fine, however)

You CAN reload them a couple of times, too, if you wish.

Bob

5. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I am using claybuster cb 1100-12 pink wads and throwing 17.6 grains of claydot with 1 oz. of #8 shot. Anything to change?

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You'll get a little powder migration with the CB 1100/Win SL, but if they don't rattle around too much, they'll be fine.

When you order wads again, a Fed12C0 clone will fit & work better: CB 2100, CB 6100, DR XXL_Orange.

17.6 of CD is a sweet 1180-ish speed + clean and will cycle any auto. Perfect.

I think you'll like loading them, once you get used to dealing with the 6pt crimps.

Bob

7. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Thanks for the info. I will have to try some! Anybody else ever try to reload any of these?

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

18.0 Grains of Promo, Federal 12S0 or clone wad, 1 oz of shot, Fiocchi 616 Primer, Fiocchi target hull. 1200 fps at 9100 PSI. It's in the online data from Alliant. They have a BUNCH of loads for these hulls. Unfortunately, they mostly feature the Fiocchi 616 Primer. I don't care for this primer in cold weather, but your mileage may vary.

Federal Gold Medal data might be close in some instances, but I'd double check with Alliant and/or Hodgdon before trying it. Since they have provided a whole section dedicated to this hull, it would be rather foolish to substitute data or components like HULLS. Mash the link above and select your hull, payload, and components. You can also go to www.hodgdon.com and see what they have to offer for their powders in these hulls. They also have a section devoted to these hulls. No substitution of data or components required, nor recommended. Hodgdon also offers a wider selection of primers.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

QS, I'm not so sure abt 'rather foolish'. Fiocchi Hull data is becoming more published ... but that does not mean that FGM data is not the default standard for plastic, lowbasewad straightwall hulls ... still.

Myself, I prefer an OEM Fed12C0 and 21.3gn of PB for all my 1oz Eurotrash, but he has Claydot, not Red Dot nor PB, and he has WAA12SL wads, not F12C0 and he's building clays bullets and not miniscule ES/SD hunting loads.

It's hard to go wrong with 17-18gn of Clays for ANY 1oz load in ANY hull.

On the Hodgdon site, 17.6gn of Clays (Claydot) and a WAA12SL wad (CB 1100-Pink) or a Fed12C0 in a FGM OR Fiocchi target hull with several medium-strength primers are all, smack-dab in the middle of 1140-1200fps, 7-8000psi - pure perfect for his daughter's 1100.

Until you get over 10000psi, or under 5000psi, a hull is just a container for good components.

YMMV, of course.

Bob

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

goatskin

Why would you rather use data for a hull you are NOT using, when there is data for the Hull you ARE using? I don't load STS Hulls using Winchester AA Hull data. They are two different hulls, even though they are similar in dimensions. Heck, let's just use whatever data we feel like! How about Universal Clays data for Clays. They BOTH say Clays and one says Universal, so that should be OK? How about we just use Federal Gold Medal Data for everything, since they are all shotshells, right? You could tighten a screw with a butterknife and I suppose you could probably spread butter with a screwdriver, but if you have both tools, why would you do that? Reloading shells is a big enough crap shoot, that we don't need to deliberately add more variables to worry about. Find and select the data, use the data as written, and hope you load a shell close enough to what they did when they compiled the data. Change one thing and you could be off the mark. Change two or three and you might want to send some out for testing, unless you have testing facilities at your disposal.

Now EXACTLY WHERE did you get the information that you can safely use Federal Gold Medal Data for the Fiocchi Hulls? If that were the case, do you think two powder manufacturers would have gone through the trouble to develop separate data sets for those hulls? If your recommendation is not based on hard fact, then it is irresponsible to make a recommendation like that to someone else. I'll stand by my statement of "foolish" unless you can provide a solid basis of fact for your claim. Not opinion, just fact. "Close enough" won't do. Swapping primers is also a crap shoot, but we can discuss that another time.

His question was about anyone loading these hulls. Not loading them with the components he had on hand. I also pointed him to Hodgdon, since they have data listed there for the Fiocchi Hulls. I listed a load that I had tried with some level of success. I shoot an 1100 and it functioned flawlessly with the load I provided. I have tried a handful of other loads in these hulls as well. This was one I used for the occasional Skeet Shoot, so it had to function for doubles and it did so, quite well. It was also pretty light on recoil, so I thought it fit.

Below are the current listings for wads offered by Federal. Which one is the 12C0 that you keep referring to? The 12C1 has been discontinued, but it might still be available at some outlets since it was a popular wad for the Federal papers.

12S0 12 Gauge 7/8 and 1 oz. loads in Gold Medal target shells -

12S3 12 Gauge 1-1/8 oz. loads in Gold Medal target and hunting shells -

12S4 12 Gauge 1-1/4 oz. loads in Gold Medal target and hunting shells -

20S1 20 Gauge 7/8 and 1 oz. in all loads -

28S1 28 Gauge 3/4 oz. loads -

410SC .410 Gauge 1/2 oz. loads (shot cup only)

11. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Thanks for the info and the ideas I look forward to loading some!

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

four34, I've loaded thousands of Fiocchi hulls with zero problems. I used F616 primers and a variety of wads. You will find that the Gualandi and B&P wads work extremely well. Unfortunately, they are expensive. You can get equal results by using wads designed specifically for the GM plastic hulls. The 12S3 works fine for 1 1/8oz loads and the 12S0 work fine for 1 oz loads. I'm sure the DRm replacements will work as well.

Both Hodgdon and Alliant list a lot of loading date for the Fiocchi 7mm basewad hull. Check them out. If you are interested in trying European wads in these hulls, Hodgdon's annual supplemental reloading magazine has many loads for Fiocchi, Gualandi and B7P wads. If that is not enough, BPI sells their High Performance for Clays reloading manual specializing in these wads. Having been there and done ALL of that, I can tell you with assurance, you'll get equal results using the two Federal wads I mentioned. Plus, you'll save a boatload of money.

13. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I found when I started reloading the hulls that the White Rhino hulls are a 8 star crimp, and the rest that were marked low recoil,target,heavy, etc. were all 6 star crimps! Looking at the base wads they seem to be different also. I was just a little curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
700x 12ga load data for fiocchi target hulls
fiocchi white rhino
fiocchi white rhino 12 ga shotshells

fiocchi white rhino shotgun shells

gualandi v zero 23 load data
reloading fiocchi white rhino
reloading fiochi whierino hulls
reloading super white rhino