1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Fiocchi Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hulls13, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hulls13

hulls13 TS Member

I have collected over 2,000 empty Fiocchi Purple 12 ga. hulls from 3 Trap rengs, all with plastic basewads. I have a MEC Grabber which works well and hope someone can tell me if they reload satisfactory. My plans are to use 17.6 grains of Clays with 1 1/8 oz. of lead and reload them only once.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

They reload fine. I can get them by the truckloads at the local sporting clays ranges, and use them just like you propose to do. Only reason I only load them once is because I shoot them out of my semi-auto, and I'd just as soon let them drop. Make sure you use a straight wall case wad.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They load fine. Just double check the data from Hodgdon. A wad intended for a straight walled hull usually seems to work the best. The Federal 12S3 or similar wads have worked well for me. You can use the Winchester WAA12 wad or clones, but I've had trouble in colder weather. Using a different primer and wad fixed the issue. Can't tell you if it was the wad, primer, or both, since I changed them at the same time.

4. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

I have loaded several with the Claybuster Red 8 wad.

5. gold40

gold40 Member

I reload 12 gauge Fiocchi purple and/or red hulls regularly with 1 oz. and the Claybuster #4100 wad.

You might want to consider reusing them more than once. I get 5 to 7 reloads from this hull.

JERRY

6. oz

oz Active Member

I suggest fiocchi primers, others may be loose. oz

7. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

I used them for two years and had no problems.They have a large primer hole and the Remington,Winchester,Federal primers don't fit real good.I went to their componants[wads and primers]and found they loaded and shot like new.

8. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

I load them, but only once. I have three hulls on my loading bench with the basewads moved forward, up to about 1/2 inch. If you shoot an auto with a loose chamber, I would caution you to make sure you resize to minimum spec, and keep an eye out for that basewad. HTH, Dutch.

9. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

All Fiocchi steel headed hulls reload well but their reusability depends on the size of the chamber that they were previously fired in and that of the one to be fired in.

Before you load up a whole ton of them, load only a few and check the flange OD of the steel head. I have more than one gun that they will not chamber in due to either the fire formed size of the steel head flange or the action of the sizing die moved some of the metal down to the flange making the flange OD larger than that of my chamber.

Also Fiocchi hulls are straight walled hulls and straight walled hulls are more expensive than tapered walled hulls to reload, as they have a greater volume, this requires more powder to achieve that same velocity of the tapered wall hull but if economics are not a concern, then with the greater volume will also results in lower chamber pressures and a softer recoil.

The Fiocchi hulls will require the use of a Fiocchi or Cheddite primer on most occasions for best results as they have a larger primer pocket than US made 209 primers.

10. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

I should clarify that I usually only reload them once because it's so easy to get new once fired's.

I have reloaded some 4 or 5 times with no problems.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The primer holes in the Fiocchi purple hulls are standard size and I've NEVER encountered an oversized one, unless it had been previously reloaded with on oversized primer. Winchester and Remington 209 primers fit well, as do the standard Cheddite 209 and Fiocchi 616. They can certainly be loaded more than once.

12. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Southern Gent, I used to get all I wanted 4 or 5 years ago but now most shoot estates around hear now. Fiocchi has changed the base wad and now it is a stiffer plastic, and I seem to get less base wad migration. I all ways check the base wad of every hull to see if it has migrated from the brass base. I try to duplicate the White rhino load but less velocity 1,200 fps and the only change is the powder, Green Dot, all other components are the same. 10tenner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best wads for fiocchi hulls
do fiocchi 3 inch hulls reload well
fiocchi 12 ga hull 7 mm

fiocchi hulls

reloading 12 ga fiocchi hulls
reloading fiocchi 12 ga

reloading fiocchi hulls

the best hull fiochi or rio