1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading federal top guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by YOTESLAYER, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Does anyone reload the Federal top gun hulls? I tried running a few tonight and had problems getting the consistency in the crimps. Anyone have any tips for them or should I just scrap the 1000 top gun hulls I have and go with Remington gun clubs?

Ryan

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I load them once for my throw away cases. They load great with a 12s3/1-1/8 wad and Green dot powder. If you shoot 1oz you need a 12s0. I use a MEC loader with the 8 point crimp. Some people load them more than once, but I have so many.

Ajax

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

Same as Ajax. Make sure you use a wad designed for straight wall cases. The 12SO and 12S3 by Claybuster are perfect for the Top Gun case.

Wayne

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Load them like gold medals. These are made of cheap weak plastic so you may need to back your crimp starter off a little. I've loaded 1000s of these hulls. You just need to tweak your loader until things are set just right. BYG

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I prefer to simply load New Federal Gold medals. I do not like hulls with steel heads.

With the Federal rebate, Gold Medals are close to top guns in price and make IMO a superior reload. I load 19.3 Green Dot, 1 1/8 oz. of hard 8's, Clay Buster 12S3 clone and Nobel Sport 209 primer. This works out to about 1125 fps which matches the original Federal Extra Lite load.

Ed Ward

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I tried to reload some Federal Gold Medals using DRHF3, could not get a good crimp even after playing with my reloader, tried the DRHF3 in Top Gun hulls and they look like factory crimps using all the same components.
    I'll load them once and toss em, I'll look for a different wad for the Gold Medals and see if they work better.

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Ajax and Fishguts have got it right. I use 19.5 grains of GreenDot with Fed Primers and 12S3 clones by Claybuster. hit them all....

8. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I use GM data, redot S3 wad Fed 209A primer. Works great, get 3-4 reloads out of the hull. I found that the pink, white, and blue hulls seem to have thicker plastic than the old maroon hulls. Seem to crimp better and last longer.

9. schneep

schneep Member

Fed 209A primer, e3 powder, CB6118 wad, 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2, great crimps, ez load

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.