1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Reloading Federal top gun hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmz1168, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmz1168

jmz1168 TS Member

I have looked for any info on reloading Federal Top Gun hulls and found nothing. Anyone have any ideas? Can they be reloaded? If not why not?
    John
  2. goose2

goose2 Active Member

Yes they can be reloaded and use the data for Federal Gold medal hulls.
  3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Here are a bunch of recent threads on the topic. Lots of good info. The answer is yes, they can be reloaded, but there are some potential issues. Read the links and see if you need more help.

<a href="http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=246351" target="_blank">March 10 2011</a>

<a href="http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=243193" target="_blank">Feb 08 2011</a>

The loads I posted have been taken from data provided by Alliant not too many years ago. The powder charges were adjusted downwards to provide target load velocities. There is data out there in the New Lyman Shotshell Manual #5, the Hodgdon 2006 Annual, and some older booklets from Dupont/IMR. The top Gun, Estate, and Wally World Specials are pretty much the same hull and data for the Gold Medals could be used with a little caution. My sources were for the "Rolled Paper Basewad Hulls"
  4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

John, as said they can be reloaded. But why would you want to. Life is too short to reload trash hulls. I will not reload any metal base hulls period. These shells are too hard on your shotgun!!! and too hard on the resizer in your reloader!!! Even if you pay 4 cents for a Rem STS and load it 8 times thats l/2 a cent apiece extra for reloading. Only 12 l/2 cents a box extra all the time. Do you really want to place extra wear on your breech face, and your extractors/ejectors in your gun, Strain your resizer on your loader and bend down to pick-up 25 hulls to save this 12 l/2 cents now!!!!! Reload Brass----Break-em all. Jeff

PS You can get your own buy buying the new Rem's or Win's when the rebate starts back up in the next few days. You can buy them here for 8.50 a box all day long after rebate their 6.50 a box add your own 4 cents thats a dollar a box and your at 5.50 the ave. price of all economy's around here. So load up on 2 dollar off shells and shoot them at ATA or any big shoots and reload your own emptys to save on shipping costs. If you can find them less than 8.50 a box you'll pay less than 4 cents. Find them at 7.50 a box and add the rebate and you get the hulls for free. Jeff
  5. dverna

dverna TS Member

I loaded a 1000 for the Southern Grand to have "throw aways". Used a GM recipe - 17.7 gr of Promo, Fed 209, S-3 wad, 1 1/8 of shot. They shot well.
    I did junk about 6-8 due to crimps.

I agree with Jeff. If you are a heavy shooter, stay with AA's or STS's. Not a wise way to save a few pennies.

Don Verna
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.