1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading federal target load shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tie-one-on, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tie-one-on

tie-one-on TS Member

I have about 1000 federal taget load shells, orginally they were 12 ga, 2.75 dram, 1 1/18 shot, number 8. These are the ribbed shells.

Are theses good shells to reload? How many time can they be reloaded?

Does anyone have a reload recipe? I'm looking for the components and source to get them. I'm looking to see how inexpensive I can reload these for. Cost per box new = $5.

I'll be reloading on an old Mec 600 Jr.

Thanks.

2. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi
    Yes, they'll load ok, but only about 3-4 times, if these are the low "brass" or steel hulls. The plastic used on these is really only intended to shoot and shuck just once, but you can load these 3-4 times. You cant go wrong with clays powder by Hodgdon. It's clean and shoots nice. a one ounce claybuster made for straight walled hulls, the 12SO model wad is a good start. one oz. of shot, later you can go down to 7/8. You can use the one oz wad for this charge also. 15-16 grains of Clays powder. Use the Cheddite/Rio/NobleSport primers (all imports). You wont save tons reloading. It isnt like it used to be. But, you can load your shells down for economy and comfortable shooting. Be sure to get wads made for your type of hulls. You need a straight wall type wad. Good luck!

3. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

+1 on the Claybuster 12S0 wad. Claydot also yields good performance and fit. Watch the Cheddite primers, especially if you reload these more than once. They are just slightly smaller/shorter than these others mentioned and tend to fall out of the primer pocket. The primer pocket/basewad is paper and seems to shrink (primer pocket thus grows) the more these hulls are reloaded.

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"I'm looking to see how inexpensive I can reload these for. Cost per box new = $5.

I'll be reloading on an old Mec 600 Jr."

If you buy the cheapest components you can get and buy them in bulk...primers by the brick, powder in 8lb jugs, probably Claybuster wads....you might reload for $4/box ...highly unlikley you'll get under $3.75. On a MEC600 you might load 5 boxes an hour. After all that, you've gained one box of "free" shells.

Reloading just to save money is seldom a good idea. Doing it as a hobby can be satisfying and the cost savings is a bonus.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I load them only once or twice and then toss them. The primer pockets have a tendency to leak after that. I load a Federal primer the first time and then one of the oversixed Euro primers for the second loading. They don't get loaded a third time. Be absolutely certain that the basewads were never wet. They look swelled and the primer pocket is partially obstructed in some of the worst ones. I inspect the inside of every hull I load. You never know what might be looking back at you.

Data for these hulls can be found in a variety of locations. I have my pet loads and these were derived from published data.

The Federal 12S0 and clones are great for one ounce. The Federal 12S3 or clones are great for 1 1/8. I use Promo with clones of these wads and they perform well. You can use an inexpensive primer if cost is a major factor.

I load the Federal 209A primer, 18.0 - 18.5 grains of Promo with either wad and the appropriate payload. This was derived from published data for Red Dot and the pressures were estimated at under 10,000 PSI. Velocities will be between about 1150 and 1210 fps, if memory serves me, depending on the powder charge and the payload. I load a little less powder for the 1oz and a touch more for the 1 1/8. That way I get around 1200 fps regardless. I usually do not exceed the charge weights listed here. These loads will function every Remington 1100 I have tried them in and the cost and patterns are reasonable.

I would call Alliant and ask about these loads before using the data I posted. Just because I've loaded 25,000 or more of them does not mean they are a safe load. They were a favorite of the ex-girfriend, before she became the ex. :) It wasn't the shells that caused that trouble. They were soft shooting, hard hitting, and velocities were verified with my chronographs.

There is a fellow, Curt in Delaware, that has some data for 700-X that he prefers. I've tried his recipe and they worked as well as mine do. 700-X is just a little pricier than Promo. I'm cheap and so is Promo. He might chime in sometime, so look for his data as well.

If I can find the actual data I had for these hulls, I would be glad to post it or send the manual by email. I just have no idea where it is at the moment. If I find it, I'll send you a PM.

6. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

21.5 grains of solo 1 oz. of #7.5 fiocchi primers and lightening wads. u can get 3-4 good loads from these hulls as longs as u use the same load with the same primer. BYG

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As I have a good and continuing supply of Top Gun & Estate hulls, I only reload them one time. However, I have experimented somewhat and have reloaded both types 4 times just to ascertain their functionality. The only difference I have observed is that the more you reload, the more smoke they produce, other than that, the function well.

I only use 2 recipes (99% of the time):

1 oz. of hard shot, Federal 12S0 wad, Federal 209A primer and 17 grs. of 700X. Published speed = 1200 fps. I use this load for singles and both shots of doubles.

1-1/8 oz. of hard shot, Federal 12S3 wad, Federal 209A primer and 20 grs. of 700X. Published speed = 1250 fps. I use this load for long yardage handicap, games and protection.

Curt

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Federal uses a powder very close to Promo/Red Dot to load these hulls. I would stick with what the factory uses.

Pat Ireland

9. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I would like to ask this FEDERAL HULL question another way.
    I recently came into possession of a Very Large number of Federal Hulls...Papers, Gold Medal, Top Gun, Estate.
    Question is this: is the reloading data for ALL Federal hull the same?
    I am using Rex-ll powder, & Cheddite Primers, and a large supply of Down Range 1.1/8 oz windjammer wad.
    As well as a large supply of Claybuster Lightning 1.oz wad's.
    I am open too any and all suggestions.
    Thanks

10. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I would like to ask this FEDERAL HULL question another way.
    I recently came into possession of a Very Large number of Federal Hulls...Papers, Gold Medal, Top Gun, Estate.
    Question is this: is the reloading data for ALL Federal hull the same?
    I am using Rex-ll powder, & Cheddite Primers, and a large supply of Down Range 1.1/8 oz windjammer wad.
    As well as a large supply of Claybuster Lightning 1.oz wad's.
    I am open too any and all suggestions.
    Thanks

11. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Been loading Federal Gold Medals for years, the ribbed version and now the smoothies. Each of these load VERY good, only very minor problems that you could expect from any brand of shell (crimp did not fold in real neat).

I load the "ribbed" eight times than discard, the "smoothies" 6 times. When I discard them, they look like they could be loaded several more times. However, for safety concerns (hull separation) I only load a limited amount of times.

I started using Federal Hulls back in 1985 and still use them, they are very good hulls. As for powderer I have used: Red Dot, Green Dot, PB, Hodgdon International, Clays, & Clay Dot. Presently using Clay Dot. All of these powders worked great. I only switched around because of availability or cost.

FOLLOW published loading data and you should not have any problems!

Frank

12. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

13. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

There are 3 Federal hulls listed for 2-3/4" reloads. Federal Papers, Federal Plastic Gold Medal, Federal Plastic W/Rolled paper base-wad.

Wayne

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Buster 25

NO, the data is not the same for all of the Federal Hulls. Maybe close, but not the same. Awhile back, two powder companies told me that you could use data from the Gold Medal Hulls for the Top Gun paper basewad hulls, provided you didn't use the top pressure developing loads. The Federal Papers have their own data.

16. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

What's the dif between the Fed Top Gun and the Fed 4-pack wal-mart sells they look the same? Thx

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

They look the same to me (except for the ink on the hulls). I reloaded many of both with the same components and with excellent results.

Maybe someone with a more technical information can chime in??

Curt

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Cheap.. Ok.. That's right up my alley.. 19.6 promo.. CB4100 or DRXXL wad..Fiocchi/Nobel/Cheddite primer 7/8oz shot.. adjust crimp..From the 16.. #8's or 8.5's.. destroys targets..

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bill Roberts

The main difference appears to be price. The shot in the Top Guns might be harder, but that is only speculation. I've never tested that theory, nor have I ever gotten an answer from Federal. The hulls look identical, except for the printing.

20. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
federal field and target load data
federal plastic target shells

federal reloading data

federal shotshell reloading data

reloading federal hulls
reloading federal paper hulls
reloading federal shotgun shells