1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Federal Papers (?)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stl Flyn, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Picked up four Federal Papers off the ground over the weekend and reloaded them to test fire. Reloaded with WW209, 19.2grs. Red Dot, Windjammer wad, and 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2 lead, on a single stage Mec 600 Jr. The softest shooting load I have ever shot. Softer than my 1 oz. STS load. The recoil response was so slow compared to my STS loads that if the bird did not break, I would have had to look down the barrel to make sure it was clear. Seriously, it was that drastic.

Question: How do you get these shells to crimp like factory shells? Could not get a decent crimp on them. I think these where six star crimped, correct? I adjusted the crimp starter after each shell. The first one was the best, but it barely even started the crimp. It proceeded to get worse as I moved it down creating more crimp definition. Any suggestions from the paper crowd would be appreciated. Thanks, Jon

Another question: Is there any difference between the older Champion papers, and the newer Gold Metal papers, as far as crimp results? Thanks, Jon

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I load them on my PW and use the same settings as other shells and do not change the crimp starter and the look like new

3. Stl Flyn

Cubancigar,

Are they six, or eight star crimp? Jon

4. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

I use your load, but use a 12S4 wad and 6 point crimp, works really well.

5. cubancigar2000

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

A smooth cone starter is the one to use.

7. Tnreloader

Tnreloader TS Member

I spoke with the MEC rep at Sparta this year, he recommends using a smooth pre crimp. Once i used this my loads look as good as factories.

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I used to shoot new ones and reload about 2-3 times using 1 oz. loads.

Fed. primer 18gr. Red Dot, Fed. wad. 1oz. shot.

I had a lot of red based wads on hand so I put a 20ga. cardboard wad in the cup with 1 oz shot.

Loaded on a PW800B with cone starter and PW paper crimp.

Looked like new, and when shot thru a Mod. 12, Tolerable.

Regards....Gerald

9. Stl Flyn

That makes sense to use the non-point crimp starter. As stated in the original post the more crimp definition in pre-crimp the worse they looked. I will give that a try, if I can find it. Thanks, Jon

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I reload these often and use the smooth head pre-crimper.

I got lazy and left the smooth head on while doing AA and Nitro cases, and, relaized that it did such a great job on them too, that I simply left the smooth head on for everything.

WW

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

When I reload Federal papers on my MEC 9000H, I simply remove the crimp starter! My shells come out looking factory like!

Hap

12. cubancigar2000

we all have a different opinion and that is good. I bought a smooth crimper from Whiz and my star works better but I am going to try Haps way

13. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi
    I have always used the six point crimp starter. Once you load a few, you will know where on the crimp fold (on the shell) the crimp starter needs to hit. It will take a few to see where you need to line up the shell before you come down on the shell to get the crimp started. The first couple shells, dont bring the arm all the way down. Bring it down just far enough to hit the top of the shell, ease it down and look. Rotate the shell a bit, and come down again. After a couple times of this you'll see where you need to have the new shell positioned. I've also found that it works better to not come down quite all the way on the crimp start station. Stop a little short-this will make the final crimp nice, sharp and neat. Don't use the smooth crimp idea. This makes for sloppy final crimps. Unless you dont care what they look like. I have loaded many Fed papers over the years. These will make the tightest shooting one ounce loads you will ever shoot. A 12S3 Fed. wad will load nice as well. Good luck to you!

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Lou, once you do, you'll never go with anything else on the 9000 series when it comes to loading papers!!

Hap

15. Stl Flyn

As far as loading the Federal papers. Is there any difference in the reloadability between the old Champion and new Gold Metal papers?

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>As far as loading the Federal papers. Is there any difference in the reloadability between the old Champion and new Gold Metal papers?</i>

With the high basewad in the Champion, you have to use a shorter wad, like the WAA-RED (claybuster clone), other than that, nope.

Depending on what kind of powder, you'll pinhole it at 2-3 loads, or 4-5.

Bob

17. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Use a smooth sided starter. Also use an S-4 for 1 1/8 oz & a S-3 for 1 oz. This is critical for a really good crimp. If you want an even softer load try 20 grains of PB for either. Be sure to use a Fed 209A due to case volume & hull design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal papers reloading

paper cone crimp starter design