Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloading Federal Hulls

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  huntinmama 
#1 ·
Anybody reload the Fed.Maroon hulls with the 7/16' paper base wad. These are the Dove Load hulls.I find no listing in the manuals for this. I would like to find a 7/8oz load using Red Dot. Thanks ahead for any info. Dave

#2 ·
For 7/8 oz loads forget the Federals. Try Winchester AA or Remington instead.
Because of their construction, these hulls are much better suited to 7/8 oz loads than Federals are. Both Hodgdon and Alliant have many 7/8 oz loads for these hulls on their web sites.

#7 ·
Send those Fed hulls to me and I will make sure they are taken care of. LOL

Seriously, make sure they have not been wet. I guess you have noticed they have a BIG boiler room. They like bulky powder. I prefer Solo 1000, but Red Dot and similar powders work well.

Use the 12SO or similar Clone wad. I use 22 gr Solo 1000, the Claybuster 12SO clone, Cheddite, Nobel or Fiocchi primer, and of course, 24 grams of good 7 1/2 shot. I load these guys once and toss them. They are generally free for the taking, and no need to put good components in a tired hull.

If you want to stay with Red Dot, that is a good choice. It has been around since Noah shot clay targets thrown off the ark, and for good reason. If I were not hooked on Solo 1000, I would surely go back to Red Dot.

Unless you want a Bunker Load, 20 gr is spicy, light in recoil, and is sudden death on clay targets.

#8 ·
7/8 oz. loads and Federals don't mix.
A good 1 oz. load though is a 12S3 wad [or copy] and 19gr. of Green Dot.
I know it seems strange to use a 1 1/8 wad for loading a 1 oz. load but it works. I found this load in an old Hercules manual.
I found that I had less shell buckling with this wad than actual 1oz. wads.
Again these shells are always FREE but just load them once. IMO

#9 ·
I reload these only for dove loads or trap/sporting clay fun days were you toss your shells, might hit the ground or is raining. I carefully inspect each shell because some are not fit to reload even the once. and after reloaded once i toss. I use Clay dot powder and DR XXL-orange 1 oz wads that are made for these straight wall hulls. we are happy with our loads.

God Bless the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.