1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Federal Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by redbone99, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbone99

redbone99 Member

Anybody reload the Fed.Maroon hulls with the 7/16' paper base wad. These are the Dove Load hulls.I find no listing in the manuals for this. I would like to find a 7/8oz load using Red Dot. Thanks ahead for any info. Dave

2. 56007

56007 TS Member

For 7/8 oz loads forget the Federals. Try Winchester AA or Remington instead.
    Because of their construction, these hulls are much better suited to 7/8 oz loads than Federals are. Both Hodgdon and Alliant have many 7/8 oz loads for these hulls on their web sites.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Why start with one of the largest interior, straight wall hulls out there for 7/8 oz loads. Listen to 56007.

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

RGC`s , STS`s or the Gold Remingtons . Leave the Federals for the dump .

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Life's to short to reload Federals. Well maybe just the papers? Break-em all. Jeff

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Like the other said. Trash the Federals and go with Remingtons.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Send those Fed hulls to me and I will make sure they are taken care of. LOL

Seriously, make sure they have not been wet. I guess you have noticed they have a BIG boiler room. They like bulky powder. I prefer Solo 1000, but Red Dot and similar powders work well.

Use the 12SO or similar Clone wad. I use 22 gr Solo 1000, the Claybuster 12SO clone, Cheddite, Nobel or Fiocchi primer, and of course, 24 grams of good 7 1/2 shot. I load these guys once and toss them. They are generally free for the taking, and no need to put good components in a tired hull.

If you want to stay with Red Dot, that is a good choice. It has been around since Noah shot clay targets thrown off the ark, and for good reason. If I were not hooked on Solo 1000, I would surely go back to Red Dot.

Unless you want a Bunker Load, 20 gr is spicy, light in recoil, and is sudden death on clay targets.

8. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

7/8 oz. loads and Federals don't mix.
    A good 1 oz. load though is a 12S3 wad [or copy] and 19gr. of Green Dot.
    I know it seems strange to use a 1 1/8 wad for loading a 1 oz. load but it works. I found this load in an old Hercules manual.
    I found that I had less shell buckling with this wad than actual 1oz. wads.
    Again these shells are always FREE but just load them once. IMO

9. huntinmama

huntinmama TS Member

I reload these only for dove loads or trap/sporting clay fun days were you toss your shells, might hit the ground or is raining. I carefully inspect each shell because some are not fit to reload even the once. and after reloaded once i toss. I use Clay dot powder and DR XXL-orange 1 oz wads that are made for these straight wall hulls. we are happy with our loads.

God Bless the USA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reload federal hulls

reloading federal hulls