1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADING FEDERAL 20 GAUGE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I started loading some federal hulls. They look like they would be good gor 2 or 3 loads. there not as strong as a remintong or winchester. I just hate to see some good hulls go to wast.

the problem is when I reload them, they sound like there underloaded , they hit the target allright and break it. I have been using 18 grains of unigue with a versalite wad. I got the recipe from the allient book.

the question is would a claybuster aa clone work better for these hulls, I would hate to have buy ferderal wads for them for the price.

could I be not using enough powder?...would universal clays be better.

any help would be great

2. d endicott

d endicott Member

I use 19 grs. 800x 11/8 with a rem sp20. Great upland load.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Yes, an AA clone would work better than a Versalite. But a true WW AA20 might work better than the clone, and a Federal Pushin' Cushin will work better than either of those. But the Federal and the WW wads are expensive and may not be worth the extra 'better' you get from them.

I'd try the AA20 clones first. If they are okay, I'd stop experimenting.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The Remington figure 8 wad did well in the Federal hull...but I never really liked how they loaded.. The Remington and AA hulls were much better for 7/8 oz.. The Federal has just to much case..unless you are loading 1 1/8oz..or at least 1 oz..

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Remember that is a straight wall hull. You need a wad that will seal that straight wall properly, and a good crimp. The Fed hull doesn't have a real strong crimp section so the total height of your components needs to be correct to get a solid crimp, which is necessary to get the slow burning powders burning properly. That strong crimp is critical to get a complete burn with typical 20 ga powders.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Other than the Versalite, the Fed20 and the Italian wads, EVERYBODY's 20ga wad is a WAA-20 copy ... however ... they are ALL over them map in lengths & diameters, taper & seal rings. bleeh.

I think wireguy has it exactly right, however, in your instance. I'd suspect the crimp in 'off-sounding loads that break birds OK'.

The 20ga Versalite is an excellent wad, and few people report what you did.

If you are NOT shooting tubes, you have more choices of powder than Unique, which is a kinda iffy, sorta hard to get lit powder, anyhow.

Play with your machine and get a good, hard, deep, angular crimp (as deep as a nickle) and see if that doesn't help, looking at another powder.

I don't think your wad is the principal culprit.

Bob

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use 16 or so of Universal and Red Duster (AA pattern) in Fed and Estate 20's and it seems to work fine. I don't load them more than twice.

HM

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I'm not seeing a load in Alliant on-line for 18 grains of Unique. I see 17 grains of Unique with Versalite wad, so I don't think the powder charge is the cause of the weak sounding loads.

I like the Versalite wad as a replacement for the too expensive RXP-20, but the RXP-20 is NOT good in the Federal case. I'll bet the Versalite-20 isn't a good match either, it being too short to get a good crimp.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

and Unique is not a very bulky powder, neither.

skeet, might you have a list of <i>lengths</i> of the various 20ga wads?

Bob

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Regarding wad lengths I'll have to work from memory since I don't have all of them here now.

Shortest - RXP-20 and Versalite-20. RXP is tapered, but what is probably more of an issue is that the OP section of the wad is very shallow. I believe a long OP cup can expand to get a good seal on a tapered wad. RXP-20s are short, tapered, and have a tiny OP cup....a three time looser in a Federal/Estate hull.

Medium - Claybuster AA-20 (same as original W-W AA-20)

Medium+ - Orange Duster, it's just a tiny tad longer that the Claybuster.

Longest - Current Winchester production AA-20.

??? - Federal 20 gauge Pushin'Cushin' (FED20S-1?) - It's been so long since I've seen those I don't really remember how long they are, but I'll bet they are on the longer end.

My loading experience with Federal 20 gauge hulls is limited. I've use original length AA-20s with some success. I've used RXP-20s with very poor results. I've loaded a literal handful of the Federal wads and they loaded nice. It seems odd to say but those Federal's were just a cute wad, but too expensive and too hard to find locally.

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

OK, Got it. I think you're right, especially the OP skirt design.

My confusion was over the 'old' and 'new' WAA-20.

Versalite has neither a long OP cup, nor gas-seals, and is prolly not the best choice for straight-wall hulls.

Have you shot the Windjammer 20s? I loaded some of the originals, just before WJ folded, and liked them, but I don't know anybody who has shot the new ones.

Thanks,

Bob

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've heard folks say they like the Windjammer 20s in the Federal/Estate 20 gauge hulls. I've never used them.

A local dealer got a case for a couple guys that just loved them and needed them. They came in and took one bag each, so he had much more on stock than he wanted, and with the economy and reloading the way it is now he is reducing inventory. He really wanted me to take some of those. He's a good guy and has done me plenty of favors so I wanted to help him, but the WJ20s just looked like an odd-ball wad and I didn't feel like experimenting with something new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 gauge federal hulls waa wads

federal 20 gauge hulls

federal 20ga reloading
length of 20 gauge hulls
loading federal hull with sp20 wad
reloadability federal 20 ga hulls

reloading federal 20 gauge halls

reloading federal 20 gauge hulls