1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Fed Paper question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bullet Thrower, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullet Thrower

Bullet Thrower Member

I load on a 9000G, and my question is:
    Do the Fed Papers require any special or additional prep prior to Station 1 ?

Reason I ask: I have a MEC Case Conditioner that I am about to sell since I have never used it. I would hate to sell it, only to need it shortly later for Fed Papers.

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I have a 9000g and federal papers go through like butter I love them. No prepping that I know of. Scott

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Some claim they prep them but for me they just get ran through.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

No prep for my 9000H. I remove the crimp starter and use none at that station and my loads come out looking new again.

Hap

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

"You need to inspect each shell for pin hole burn through's after the first reloading,around the top of the brass base where the paper starts and also,along the seam of the paper case." Creeker is right on! I dont heat them or anything else. I dont even change the crimper on my PW. I get factory looking shells. I would hate to go back to plastic again

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I don't see a reason to remove them before final crimp. That's kind of an extra step that is not necessary. Instead take your tapper crimp and move it up and let the machine do the work. But maybe that is what you meant.

I have never thought about not using the pre crimp. I'll have to try that.

Bryan

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I am happy to hear about so many others using Fed Papers to reload. I hope they are seeing increased popularity and Federal recognizes that. 5 years ago I NEVER saw papers on the ground at a shoot. This past year I saw lots on the ground, to point where you could pick up the ones that looked good and pass over the ones that didn't.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bryan, on my MECs, mine look like factory loads without the crimp starter.

Hap

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Papers are ok,but the plastics last longer & are more economical.
    Clyde

10. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Clyde, when they are free I say load 'em up....

Hap, I will try to load a few that way.

Bryan

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I agree with Bryan. If papers and AA's/STS cost the same, why not shoot new papers? Then you have a nice stash of paper hulls to reload:)

PS- Already have a crap-ton of STS hulls from when they were $5-$6 per box. So whatever mood strikes is what I load.

12. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I am with EXFEDEX above. I load with a 9000. I remoeve the grimp starter adn put on the smooth domed crimp started and go to town. I do like Creeker say and I do inspect every hull before I put it into my reloader. At the first sign of pin holes I mark the base of tgeh shell with a sharpy or marks-a-lot marker. This way I see the marks on it when I load the sheel Then it is "shoot it and drop it" I just had a fellow trap shooter give me two big garbage bags of once fired paper hulls from the early 80"s. What a great friend to have. I love shoting my paper reloads. Bill how is Boog doing?

Jim Bradbury

13. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Loose pockets are the only negative I can speak of with Fed papers. You would think a 209A would hold tight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.