1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??reloading Fed paper hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rrose, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrose

rrose TS Member

I am thinking of loading some Federal paper hulls to only use for caps and games but have only loaded Rem and AA hulls. Do I need to do anything different with my loader like change the crimper or anything else to load paper hulls? I have a PW and also a Mec and would probably load these on the Mec.
    Also does any one have any Federal hulls to sell? , would be great if they were in Cinti or northern KY and I could pick them up.
    Do you think the paper hulls are more trouble than they are worth and I should stick with my Remington hulls? I have a bunch of once fired Rems.

thanks
    randy

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Change the crimp starter and use one that is a cone type. Bill Malcolm

3. baflstang

baflstang Member

I load them on a MEC Grabber and do not change the crimp starter. The reloads look as if they came from a factory box and as usual, they smell so good. I use 17.5 grains of Red Dot (or Promo) with a generic 12S3 wad. Remington primer and good bye White Flyer. Bill Weaver

4. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Randy, i have a box of i think the count is 500 once fired papers , i will trade you for 500 once fired Remingtons. i live in Alexandria call me 859-448-0140 Tuesday after 4:00 p.m.

5. rrose

rrose TS Member

Jeff: I will call you later today.
    Thanks

randy

6. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

FlaLagarto, I will trade you for STS or Nitro, if you pay the freight. I have about 1,500 to 2,000. RG

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The advice to change the crimp starter to the cone type is a good step in the right direction. However, I loaded Fed. papers for at least 10 years in another century. I did so on a #76 Grabber with the normal crimp starter and found it worked perfectly by adding the washer that stopped the crimp starter from rotating and then lined up the crimp marks on the shell going to the crimp starter to an agreeable position. Were I to do it again, I'd probably start with the cone starter part from MEC....Bob Dodd

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have reloaded Federal paper hulls for many years using the same technique as Bob Dodd. I also add a strip of masking tape around the crimp die and use a pencil to mark the location of one high point in the six point crimp starter. I then align a crease mark in the hull to the line. The result is a near perfect crimp.

My favorite load is 18.5 grains of 700X, Federal 209A primer, Claybuster CB3118 12-AR wad (12C1 replacement) and 1 1/8 oz. of hard 7 1/2 shot.

700X takes up less space in the hull than red dot and gives a deeper crimp. I have ordered some E3 to try with 12S3 wads and 1 oz. of size 8 shot.

I did not know that MEC has a cone type crimp starter and will have to order one.

Years ago, once fired 3 dram 7 1/2 Federal Paper hulls were plentiful as they were a favorite of “games” shooters and 2 ¾ dram 9 hulls were a favorite of still board shooters. The price of Federal Paper and Gold Medal hulls were the same. Now, once fired paper hulls are hard to come by unless you shoot new paper yourself.

They are a great hull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
federal paper hull bulging crimp
federal paper hulls
mec 600 and paper hulls

size pw paper cone crimp starter 12