1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading: ever load 1oz into a Fig 8 wad?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jvsomers, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvsomers

jvsomers Guest

I'm thinking of going to a 1oz load, but have approx. 5000 Fig. 8's. If the pattern is going to get screwed up, I'll go buy some RemTGT12's. If you have tried this, let me know if you noticed any change. Thanks.

Keep it fun

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If you powder is bulky enough to hold the wad high in the case and the crimps don't collapse it'll work just fine. Weigh the wads and you'll see there is very little difference, only a grain or two.

3. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I load Fig 8 wad all the time with 1 oz. loads using AA, STS, and Gun Club hulls. I use REX 1, Promo, or/and Red Dot. Works well with RCBS the Grand. FD

4. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

If anything, the patterns will be better as the F8 shotcup is longer, thereby protecting more of the shot. You probably will also have to lower the prefold dir, decrease the crimp depth and use a bulkier powder like Red Dot, Clays or Green dot to fill up the space lost to the use of less shot. Green Dot will work especially well if you plan to drive the shot real fast, like 1250'/s and up. With less internal space, the new AA cases will give the best crimp. Hopefully, you'll always look down your barrel after each shot if you go the AA route!

- - Bill

5. johnpe

johnpe Member

I've loaded thousands of 1 ounce loads using a variety of 1 1/8 ounce wads in AA, AAHS, RXP, Premier, Blue Magics, etc. etc. Most of the wads were Fig, 8's, White AA's or AA clones. No problems except that the crimp will be a little dished in and the crimp station may need an adjustment to keep a hole from opening that will let the shot fall out. Ditto using 1 ounce wads for 7/8 ounce loads. Right now I'm using green dusters for AA, AAHS, STS, Nitro 27, and Premier hulls with 7/8 ounce of 8's. Works great. Fow powder I usually use Red Dot, but over the years have used 700-X, WW452, WST and Unique. If a hull does have a hole open up, a little dab of Elmers glue takes care of it. Performance is great.

Johnpe

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I use WAA12 wads for 1 ounce and 1 1/16 ounce all the time. All you need to do in most cases is adjust the final crimp on your reloader. Why buy 2 different types of wads if you can load with one type wad?? I am contemplating, (and probably will), purchase 5000 Figure 8 wads and load the same 1 ounce/ 1 1/16 ounce loads; due to the fact I only reload STS hulls. But it will depend on availability and cost. I personally don't feel that one needs to buy 2 different wads to accomodate a difference of 1/16 ounce of shot when all you need to do is adjust the crimp. Maybe if one uses a less bulky powder I could see it. However, all I use is Red Dot and Clays and they are both bulky. Ed

7. oz

oz Active Member

the (green figure 8) is called STS. oz

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

jvsomers, I'd go for the TGT-12s myself. They fit better. The Fig-8 shot cup holds more than 1 oz of shot, so the edges of the cup extend beyond the shot. The figure-8 portion is also smaller, so the entire wad/shot package sits lower in the hull. If you use the same die settings you used on your 1 1/8 oz loads you'll get dished in crimps at worst, and inconsistent crimps at best. If you lower your dies to get a "good" looking crimp, you risk folding the top of the petals into the crimp. If that happens, I don't think you'll like the patterns. I tried it once. I usually shoot a minimum of 10 patterns per set. I shot three patterns with what you are proposing and decided it was not worth the time to count holes in such lousy looking patterns.

BTW, the recovered wads were permanently deformed all around the top of the petals.

You can eliminate that problem by putting in 1 1/16oz of shot and settling for a slightly dished crimp.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

OZ,

The green figure 8 is the TGT-12S, and not a STS.

Bunkerguy,

I have loaded some shells with the DownRange XL-1 wads instead of the TGT-12 wad. I use both of these wads for my 1 1/8 oz 'caps load (yes they are in the book). The TGT has a little deeper cup and will contain that amount of shot. The XL-1 wad has a little shorter wad cup and doesn't contain all the shot. There is no discernable between the pattern on each of these shells.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.