1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Estates

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hinkton, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hinkton

Hinkton TS Member

Is it safe to reload estates one time?
    Thanks
    Hank

2. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Yup, or two or three. BRGII

3. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

I love them. I load them twice and let them hit the ground. The primers are the same size as the Nobelsport primers so they are cheaper to reload. 1oz of 8 1/2 shot 18 grs of promo and claybuster 1100-12(pink) wads. A winner at 16's and first shot in doubles. Have fun, Al

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've reloaded approx. 10,000 of the Estates. Not once have I encountered a problem.

I use Federal components and 700X powder.

Curt - Delaware

5. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

It's interesting to hear the experiences of others with their reloading practices,i.e. the use of Estates, Wallys, and Top Guns. I've been reloading these, mostly Wallys, but now lots of Estates and TG's (all the same hull) for many years and have used them in my 1100's mostly, but also in my not-so-cheap Perazzi and several Browning O/U's. I usually load them with CB 12S0 clones and 1 Oz 8's or 9's for singles, doubles, skeet, and clays. Upon loading the second time I do a cursory check with a light for base wad problems and NEVER have I detected a missing or out of place fiber basewad and with a gas auto, you'll find them the hard way if they exist. I've never had a "piece of that fiber base wad junk" come flying out of the barrel. The major reason for not exceeding two or sometimes three loads is that the primer pockets loosen up before even crimp deterioration. This has been true with Win, Cheddite, and Fiocchi primers, all of which measure the same diameter with my mic and dial caliper. And oh yes, I do load STS (gold and green, I like the green color best...) for handicap.

Just my experience....Larry Addison, Redding, CA.

6. Hinkton

Hinkton TS Member

Thanks for the imput.
    hank

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

These are HORRIBLE hulls to load.

HOWEVER< if you send them to me with prepaid shipping, I will begrudgingly accept them and properly dispose of them (AFTER loading them) LOL

Using the right wad is the key to success with these hulls. Bulky powders and the Claybuster 3118-12AR and their 12SO and 12S3 clone work well and are designed for that type of hull.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Using a standard sized primer on the first reloading and then using an oversized primer on the second, like the RIO G600, will alleviate the loose primer pocket issue. I don't load them a third time. I've had the tube pull loose from the case head a few times. It is a VERY RARE occurance, but it can happen. The tube usually stays in the chamber and is easy to get out with a finger. No major risk of an autoloader stuffing a shell in behind it. The case head usually lays down in the bottom of the action and will prevent the gun from functioning until it is removed. The junk coming out of the barrel with the factory Top Guns and Estates is simply part of the wad column. Take one apart and look at what it's stuffed with. That "stuff" comes out of the barrel. It's NOT the base wad. These wads fall closer to the shooter than any other wad column I've seen since cardboard, fiber, and cork wads were all the rage. Especially those that had the plastic wrapped around the shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.