1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Estates

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4th. down, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Do any Estates, including the Competition Target Load, have plastic basewads?

Other than Gold Medal what other straight-wall hull is good for reloading that has a plastic basewad?

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Estates and Federal Top Gun (and clones) have a rolled paper basewad just like Federal Papers. Federal Gold Medal is the only straight walled one piece hull as Remington STS (including Nitro) and Gun Club are the only one piece compression formed hulls.

Buz

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

4th. down:

The ORIGINAL Estates were a Cheddite (European) made hull with a plastic base wad. Federal bought Estate Cartridge Co. a number of years ago. They changed the base wad from plastic to rolled paper. To the best of my knowledge, none of the Federal made Estates has a plastic base.

For purposes of reloading, Federal made Estates are the same as the Federal Top Gun hull and its variants.

As for the suitability of other straight walled hulls for reloading, I recently made a serious effort to reload Eurotrash hulls including Rio, Kemen, Diana, and Centurion. They are all straight-wall hulls with plastic basewads. It was my second serious attempt to load them and the second abject failure.

IMO, Gold Medals are the only straight wall hull worth reloading. Of course, your mileage may vary.

sissy

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The new Federal Gold Medal plastic cases now feature the old ribbed plastic hull which IMO is the best straight walled plastic case for reloading.

I never had any problems with the Federal Gold Medal smooth hull and still have about 3000 or so. However, the ribbed case was always my favorite. I am glad to see its return.

The old Federal Gold Medal plastic ribbed case had a long service life and a little more room inside than an AA or STS hull which is important for some "games" shooters. Whenever you bought a new Bob Allen vest, there were two once fired plastic ribbed Gold Medals in the hull pocket.

I miss the Bob Allen girls at the Grand.

Ed Ward

5. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Try the Fiocchi American Target with a Downrange wad. Works well about 4 loadings, and you don,t have to fight for them.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

reciol Sissy

What is your problem with the Euro Trash hulls? I have reloaded 1000's without problems.

TOM

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Tom:

I made two attempts to load Eurotrash about a year apart. I loaded just under 1000 hulls each time. They were all the same basic Alliant recipe: once fired Eurotrash hulls, 12S0 wad (I tried original Federals and Claybuster clones), 18.5 to 19.0 grains of Red Dot or Promo, a Cheddite primer, and an ounce of hard 8's.

The first bunch was loaded on a 9000G. The second group on a 650. All were separately resized on a MEC Case Conditioner.

A consistent problem with BOTH runs was an inordinantly high percentage of mashed, irregular, and totally unacceptable crimps - between 6 and 8% depending on which Eurotrash hull. Blue Rios were the worst. I simply couldn't get consistenty good precrimps. Of course hulls that precrimped poorly had junk for final crimps.

No amount of fiddling resolved the problem. Two different loaders, four different precrimp starters (two each six point, two each smooth cones), and multiple height adjustments didn't make a material difference.

There were other issues as well. Shells loaded on the 9000G were resized twice - first on the Case Conditioner and again with the collet. With rare exceptions, these shells didn't stick when fired in any of my target guns. OTOH, shells loaded on the 650 have been problematic. I'm getting two or three shells per box that won't eject.

There's more (primers falling out, for example) but suffice to say I've had it. Eurotrash just isn't worth the hassle.

For those like you getting good results, rejoice. You can have them all. I have about 500 resized empties that are going out with the trash on Thursday.

sissy

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Sorry you could not get the load right or the loader adjusted. One thing that I noticed is the use of cheddite primers. You should have used a Noble Sport and the falling out problem disappears. I also use nothing but european wads wither B&P, Gulandi or Helarco.

These are great hulls if you know what you are doing.

TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.