1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Estate hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike G, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike G

Mike G Member

Looking for a recipe to reload Estate hulls using Clays powder at 1150fps to 1180. Looking for recommendations - I have access to a large supply of these hulls and just interested in reloading one time. Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. uncle chuck

uncle chuck TS Member

Load them just like they were a Federal shell. I use oz of shot Windjammer lightning wad and 18 GR Red dot.

3. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Do a search for "top gun" there is a thread about using clays powder in top gun hulls (same hull as estate). I do not load clays myself but I would guess 17 to 17.5 grains of clays and claybuster 12S3 wad would put you in the ball park.

You did not say how much shot you want to load but that charge should be good for 1 oz or 1 1/8.

You could also check Hodgdon's web site for online loading data but I doubt they will have data for estate or top gun hulls

tom

4. Mike G

Mike G Member

Sorry - I missed that, I want to load 1oz loads.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There have been many threads about reloading the Estate and Top Gun hulls. Unfortunately, Hodgdon appears to have very little data for reloading them. My suggestion would be to call or email Hodgdon directly and inquire about it. I would be hesitant to use data posted in a forum, unless I was able to verify it's safety. Guessing is a good way to get yourself in trouble. I use Red Dot and Green Dot with these hulls, Federal 209A primers, and either the Federal 12S0, 12S3, or claybuster clones (CB2100-12/CB2118-12) depending on whether I load 1oz or 1 1/8 oz. The data should be available from Alliant Powder if you were interested.

Hodgdon's contact info:

Electronic Mail: help@hodgdon.com

Telephone 913-362-9455

Fax 913-362-1307

Postal Address

6231 Robinson

Shawnee Mission, KS 66202-1332

Web Site www.hodgdon.com

6. C H S

C H S TS Member

Stay away from reloading hulls with fiber base wads; they are a catastrophe waiting to happen!

Andy

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Andy,
    Don't speak about something that you have no knowledge of. I and several others have been loading fiber based hulls since the 50's with no bad results. The Winchesters, Peters/Remington, and Federal paper hulls were/are fiber based. The Top Gun and Estates are just a plastic version of the same. I believe they pattern better and shoot softer than any of the one piece hulls. JMHO Richard

8. pairaway

pairaway TS Member

I have been loading the Estate/Top Gun hulls for quite some time.
    Use 1oz, Fed S0 wad or Claybuster clone, 17.4 titewad and Win 209.
    I load once and pitch the hull but have buddies that load several times with no problem. Base wad is NO issue at all.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.