1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Estate hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chourico, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chourico

chourico TS Member

ya throw them in the garbage they suck for reloading not for me !!!!

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Use the hull data associated with a Federal Gold Medal and the powder you will using.

My loads using a Estate hull:

1 oz. hard shot, 17 grs. of 700X,, Federal 12S0 wad, Federal 209A primer. Published speed = 1200 fps.

1-1/8 oz. of hard shot, 20 grs. of 700X, Federal 12S3 wad, Federal 209A primer. Pub. speed = 1250 fps.

Curt

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

18.5 grns green dot, cheddite primer,1oz. shot,tgt wads

Doug H.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

As stated, load with Fed data. I loaded some and they actually turned out quite good. I couldn't tell the difference between those reloads and any other Federals i had loaded. I doubt the nay sayers could either. I loaded them once and then tossed them. They looked like they would have taken another loading or two with no issues.

Matt

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

My Estate reloads look factory new. I quite using them because they are hell on your re size die with them steel bases. Other than that they make a fine reload one time and let them fly.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I load them twice, and let them fly. Works great.

7. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I tried three or four different times and I just dumped thousands of Estates and Top Guns in the trash, gave away all my Federal wads.

STS from now on.....

8. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Sterlingworth, look under "Federal Hi-Power with rolled paper base-wad". They're identical with the exception of the Estate being approx. 1/16" deeper. I've loaded some ten times, don't anymore because I get all the once fired I want for free.

Buz

9. leadvail

leadvail Member

3000 so far of 1oz 8's, w209, cb tgt12 and 18.5 titewad for my doubles load.

Bob

10. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I am a cheap bastard but I won't waste my time with these.
    Esp. when I can get all of the Gun Club's that I want which are a much better hull to load IMHO.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I load 18.4 grains Red Dot or Promo with the Federal 209 primer, 12S0 wad, and 1oz of shot. They run right around 1200 fps. Data from an old printed (1996) Alliant manual lists 21.0 grains of Red Dot with the 12S3 wad and 1oz of shot, Fed 209A primer at under 10,000 PSI at 1290 fps. The 12S3 takes up a little less room to allow for the larger volume of powder of the heavier load. 18.8 Grains of Red Dot or Promo works well for 1 1/8oz of shot, 12S3 Wad, Fed 209A primer. These run right around 1200 fps. This load is also under the maximum listed in the 1996 Alliant manual. Loading 18.4 grains with the 1 1/8 oz load will give you a nice 1150 fps load. These are for the Newer Estate, Top Gun, or Federal promotional shells as sold in WalMart. They have the fiber/paper base wads. Some of the older Estates were a Cheddite hull with a plastic base wad. They use different data. I don't load these more than one or two times. The primer pocket will usually start to leak around the second firing. They also have Green Dot and Unique loads listed and Hodgdon lists some for Universal Clays. The loads I listed have worked every autoloader I've tried them in and have done very well in cold weather. I've actually chronographed them, so those are the velocities you would expect to be close to. The exact clones of these wads will work fine as well. The Claybusters or Downrange clones are ok. I prefer the Downrange when I can get them.

Alliant and Hodgdon have apparently said you could use Gold Medal data as long as you stay away from the heavy (high pressure) loads.

12. tammike

tammike Member

My caps reload is in an Estate hull. 19.1 gr promo, cb2118 wad, rem primer and 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 . chrono 1230 fps. By the way this matches the Federals you can buy at Walmrt in the 100 pks. Give it a try. I would be curious to know if the speed is close to the same at sea level because most of my shooting is above 4000 ft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
estate hull reloading data
estate hull trap loads
estate load data
federal estae hull data
reloading data for estate hull
reloading data for estate hulls
reloading date 12g estate hull

reloading estate hulls