1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Reloading Estate 12 ga. hulls??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ExFedex, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I know the Estate hull is a Federal product but what hull type/design do you use to come up with the correct components? I cannot find mention of an Estate hull in my books. I would like to load 1 oz. loads. Thanks. Bill H.

2. LMac

LMac TS Member

I use the Federal hull with rolled paper base wad charts by Alliant Powder. Have loaded several of the Estates and they work great.

3. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I use Claybuster 12S0 replacement wad #CB 2100-12 With 7/8 oz. shot 17 grains 700X they travel 1225-1240 fps. range. 1 oz. will be nearly as fast. This is the best wad I have found I use them for everything. There is data for most any hull including STS and AA.
    They are a little more expensive than other claybuster wads (about $1 / bag) case price.

tom

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You can use data for the Federal hull with the Paper Base Wad. There are some older Estate hulls with a plastic base wad and they can usually be loaded with Cheddite Hull Data. All of the newer Estates are manufacturered for/by Federal and have the paper base wad. For the Paper Base Hulls, I use a Federal 209A primer, 18.5 grs Red Dot or Promo, Claybusters CB2100-12 replacement wad (Federal 12S0) for one ounce or the CB2118-12 (Federal 12S3) for 1 1/8oz. They will both give around 1200fps velocities and be reasonable in pressures. You can drop the 1 1/8 oz load to 18 grains of powder. They will both cycle my 1100s reliably and they pattern quite well. The hulls can be loaded just a couple of times until the primer pockets start leaking gas around the primers. You can get one more loading by using a larger primer like the RIO G-600 or the Nobel Sport. With all of the free Federal/Estate hulls out there, it might pay to give them a look. Just double check the data!

I WON'T consider loading most of the cheap RIO, KEMEN, WOLF, and other cheap Cheddite style promotional hulls. I have seen some suspicious base wad migrations in once-fired hulls upon a close inspection. Had one batch where about one in ten had a base wad at least 1/4 inch up into the hull. One was almost completely out through the hull mouth. I'm not shooting any more of them, even the FIRST time, either. I'd rather use the one piece Remington cheapies or even the Winchesters.

5. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

which wad will give me the better crimp in the 1oz using fed top gun hulls?- win sl pinkies, rem tgt(or cb clone), or fed 12so or clone? i have tried my sts recipe with win pinkies and the top gun hulls and the crimp seems a bit concave. if i change to a tgt or the 12so in the top gun hull will my crimp improve? my sts reloads are perfect with the win pink but i would like to change hulls(top gun) without changing my loader adjustments. safety is always an issue but i am well below any max load. thanks for your advice, dennis

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have loaded over 10,000 Estate hulls with very good results.

I use Federal components, Federal hull = Federal components. I have used the Claybuster wad when unable to obtain the Federal wads and the Claybuster's have worked well.

My recipes:

1 oz. = 209A primer, 17 grs. 700X, 12S0 wad. Published fps = 1200

1-1/8 oz. = 209A primer, 19.5 grs. 700X, 12S3 wad. Published fps = 1250

Both recipes have exceedingly well.

Curt - Delaware

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have been loading the Estates and Top Gun hulls using 18 gr. promo w/ the original WJII wad and have had great results with a velocity of 1185 fps. I also have used 18.5 REX I with same stuff (RIO, FED 209A) with 1 1/16 oz shot for handi-cap velocity 1215 fps, great patterns. RG

8. oz

oz Active Member

try clays 17.5 gr rem TGT wad and your choice of primer. oz

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

valmet

It seems like the Federal 12S0 or clone gives a pretty decent crimp with my loads in the Estate/Federal hulls. I get concave crimps with wads intended for 1oz tapered hulls. I have not used the Downrange XXL style since I have a large supply of the Federal Clones. I have heard a lot of pro and con about the Downrange XXL wads. I tried some orange XXL in the Federal hulls and found that they worked OK after getting the wad pressure adjusted right. The Federal Clones (CB2100-12) needed little or no adjustments when changing over from most 1 oz loads with other wad/hull combinations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you reload estate 12 gauge hulls
estate 12 ga wads
good load for sts hulls in 12 ga 1255 ftps
loads for fed 12ga paper hulls
loads for wolff 12 gauge hulls
reloading estate 12 gauge hulls

reloading estate hulls

what wads for estate hulls