1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Efficiency

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I checked my time to load 100 then 200 shells, using Spolar with the hydraulic. Out of the three hundred reloads ,one wad petal that was caught by the wad guide, no other errors. It took 462.9 seconds (7 minutes 42.9 sec) to load 100, rate 4.629 seconds per shell. When I loaded 200, 932 seconds, rate 4.66. I used STS hulls , STS primer, Tite Group, and DR TGT12 wads.

About the only thing that ever slows me down is an occasional primer that tips over. Since it is a progressive loader I never get a double load.

I am not endorsing "fast reloading" . I am very careful . The Spolar is nearly bullet proof and allows me to be efficient when loading. I have checked powder weights and they are super consistent. Once I have the correct bushing that the scale picks out it essentially does not vary until you get to the bottom of your powder tube and that is only an issue when I am "squeezing out the last grain of a keg".

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You should upgrade to the new primer ram. Tipped primers will be a thing of the past! I read about this and thought it would be an improvement. The reality is just amazing. So far I am only a few hundred shells into production, but I have not had one single tipped primer...using R209's exclusively. I am going to load some Federals next so we will see if the Federal primers are as stable as the Remingtons.

3. Charlie Becknell

Avaldes,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was getting a "ton"of tipped primers a few months ago but I FOUND the problem. The large bolt that connects the hydraulic to the machine, where the machine rotates, had backed out a lttle bit. I tightened this up and used some Blue , medium, locktite and solved most of my problems.

I never seem to have much time to load, therefore, I have to have a machine that can move along while I am loading. Too bad that no one has invented a machine that will box the shells. I carry 5 gallon buckets rather than box. BOXING shells, in my opinion is torture (aka as a waste of time).

Charlie

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Without any real effort I made 50 shells using STS hulls on my Dillion SL900 in 2 1/2 minutes. Over 2 1/2 times as fast as your Spolar. Just saying......

5. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Save yourself the trouble and get the new primer cup and rod. I am on about 3000 loads with it and never had a tipped primer yet. I would recommend it even if you only get one every once in a while. For $30 why mess with it.

By hand on a spolar I easily do over 500 an hour, without even rushing in the least bit. That also includes a full refill on primers, shot, and powder.

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

One flat per hour on my mec grabber. that includes filling and fiddling. Good enough. Bill

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

With the 12, 20, and 28 ga MEC 9000G, I typically load a flat in 22 minutes, and don't get in a hurry with the handle. Getting the hull and wad in the press quickly is the key to getting the full potential out of your loader, regardless of type.

I generally fill up a Cat Litter box with shells and box as I need them at the field.

8. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Sorry boys, a Dillon, and a Mec should not be mentioned in the same line as a Spolar. Just saying.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Threeduces, well when you don't have a shell under the powder or shot nozzles on your Spolar, watch the big dump. The throw is so long on a Spolar, ya need ape arms. Sticking a shell and a wad in on every shell---Obsolete. Just saying........But hey, they are a pretty gold color. The color must make them cost twice as much? Maybe? Just guess'in.

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much in agreement with Shooting Coach on the 9000G. I just figure 400 per hour is not rushing things and includes refilling powder and shot, inevitable delays encountered, etc.

11. Charlie Becknell

Dillion at 50 shells in 2 1/2 minutes! Now that is impressive. My above rates were as fast as I could get the machine to cycle, add wad and hull. My old Mec progressive hydraulic could do 15 or 16 per minute but I hated the primer feed system.

Where are the PW loaders comments?

Charlie

12. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

@ shot410ga, now that ive had a few months of trouble free loading after switching wads, ive got to time myself and see where im at, last session i made 1000 rounds and it seemed to go by pretty fast, now i need to see.
    I like to run as efficient as i can without rushing.

13. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

anyone that would spend the kind of money for a Spolar has got money to burn.

If you can afford a Spolar you can afford to shoot factory Nitros and Federal papers.

Bravo you can load so fast, bravo!!

i am sure you send the extra money to use the Spolar wads too?? A gold windjammer jacked up in price.

Money to burn.

14. JPM

JPM Member

Gee, I feel sorry for you guys. While you only get to spend a few minutes loading 100 shells I get to spend about 40 minutes doing the same thing on my PW 375 machines. I enjoy reloading so I guess that I get about 5 times as much fun and pleasure as you do. As I have gotten older I have found that a more cultured and measured approach has improved the quality of my life. And I never have less that 2000 shells loaded at any given time. JPM

15. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well I guess I now have money to burn.If I could only find some of it.I own a Spolar because I shoot alot and reload alot.My time and effort saved over the 366 I used to load on more than paid for the Spolar & hydrolics.I shoot the promo shells I have won on sgls & dbls and my reloads on hdcp.I can afford to shoot only top of the line new shells but choose not to...KS-OKIE.

16. Charlie Becknell

BucPride,

I load because of versatility. I frequently teach women and children to shoot , I supply my guns and my ammo. Low recoil shells are not readily available. 7/8 oz shells are great starter loads. I like my Spolar, accurate, precise, QUICK, and about 18 years old. I just have not got time to spend hours hours reloading.

17. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I would curious to hear from those that have owned both the hydraulic Mec 9000's and also the Spolar hydraulic loaders.

I can't afford a Spolar set...but have managed to put together the gauges I shoot in the hydraulic Mecs.

I lust after the Spolars even though I've never laid a hand on one...but wonder if I wouldn't wish I had stayed with the Mecs if I bought one.

I haven't timed my Mecs (maybe I will today) but have counted (one thousand one, one thousand 2, etc. ...). About 5 seconds per shell it seems to me.

I don't see how anything could be much faster...because the only limitation to my machines is the deftness and speed in which I insert a new hull and wad...which is automatic and quick.

Like everyone...there was a learning curve...and I had to learn how to adjust a Mec if I changed hulls, loads etc. After that, most delays are avoided because I noticed any potential issues in time to avoid loading delays (Primer drops being the most likely occurance of a deviance that can mess you up).

Naturally ...its unlikely that anyone that spent the money for Spolars...would come out and say it was a mistake. But did it really make that MUCH difference..speed wise?? I just don't see how it could....

But I'm not speaking from experience with both machines...

Stan...

18. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I'm not here to stir the pot. I have no experience with a Spolar, other than knowing the cost. I, like SHOT410Ga have a Dillon.... The man is on the money! Awesome machine

19. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Saying people who buy spolars have money to burn is just a childish and unintelligent comment. That is like saying whoever bought more than a BT-99 has plenty of money to burn.

20. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

My Pop used to say anyone who could shoot a shotgun shell at something you couldn't even eat must have money to burn.