1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading data question w cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superump, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superump

superump TS Member

Hi, I am loading sts or nitro shells with 1 1/8 oz lead and using a 28 mec powder bushing with 700x. Books show that to be between 1100 and 1150 fps with certain primers. I use and have used cheddite primers for years with not one problem but the books don't show cheddite primers (or the powder web sites). I would like to get my loads up to 1200 FPS but don't have a clue where I am at because no cheddite primers are listed in the reloading books. Are they equivilant or comparable to another primer that is in the books? Thinking about just going up to the 29 mec bushing but not sure with the cheddites where that puts me. Thanks in advance

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Call Hodgdon and ask the powder manufacturer directly. OR, you could load up a small batch and send them out for pressure and velocity testing.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you don't know where you are now, how are you going to know which way to go? HMB

4. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

hmb-
    I had to chuckle at your remark because it reminded me of a great quote of Yogi Berra's:

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up someplace else.

On the Cheddites- my supplier tells me they are hot and real similar to Winchester. When I chronograph loads, they seem to perform that way. I like them.

Joe Smoke

5. Cobra Khan

Cobra Khan Member

I had the same concern when I could not find a load for the Cheddite primer and Alliant Promo powder. I ended up calling Alliant and was told to use the reload data for the Remington STS primer as an interchangeable component. The loads worked great, unfortunatley after all that my trap gun pierced the Cheddite primers; thankfully my skeet gun functions flawlessly with them.

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

superump. the way your question is worded tells me you are loading without using a scale to check the actual weight of your powder drop. that's dangerous! powder varies from one batch to another and even bushings of the same number can vary weights from the same batch.

buz

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am concerned with the physical shape of the primer as well as the power (brisance) of the primer. Hulls are made to accept primers of a specific size and shape. Different primers have different shapes. I like to assemble things that were designed to fit together. My press will cram a large primer into a small primer hole, but I just don't like to do that. This means I will have to pay $15 more for 5,000 primers but it makes my hulls happier. Happy hulls shoot better.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

brisance of cheddite primers reloading

cheddite primer data

cheddite primers comparable to what

cheddite reloading data

promo powder cheddite primer

promo powder cheddite primers

reloading data for noble primers with promo power

what are cheddite primers comparable to