1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading data on Cheddite primers ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Racerx, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Racerx

Racerx Member

Does anyone have reloading data on Cheddite primers for 1 oz. load with green dot powder ??? Was unable to find reloading data on these primers ??? Thanks for any help at all !!!

2. mike b.

mike b. Member

You don't list the hull, but as long as you stick with 1 oz. TARGET load data, you will be safe substituting Win 209 data. Unfortunately powder companies don't go back and retest everything when a different or foreign primer comes out. Note I said Target Load Data, because QUACKSHOT will be here soon to say if it's not in the book it shouldn't be used! The problem I had with Cheddites (20k used)was firing pin erosion in some of my shotguns. If you don't see any black spots on the fired primers, you're OK. But if you see some occassionly, they will slowly erode the tips, and then due to being shorter, will start misfiring.

3. Jim H.

Jim H. TS Member

Lyman's new 5 ed shotshell manual is about to be delivered per tracking numbers from Cabela's. I will look for Cheddite primed loads, as they have been available for a few years, now. The Reloading for Shotgunners 5th ed by Rick Sapp might have them, too; it is only a year or two old.

Some of us had trubs with 12 gauge Browning 425's and Cheddites. Firing pins chipped and eroded quickly. Beretta firing pins not bothered by them. A guy with a 28 gauge Browning similar to, if not acutally, the 425 had no problems shooting lots of Challenger shells, which I think use Cheddites.

No help with Green Dot, but Hodgdon's lists some loads with Cheddites.

4. Racerx

Racerx Member

Most likely I'll use STS,AA hulls. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Racer, I loaded Cheddites interchangeably with Winchester data for years. I'd still recommend this unless you are loading right to the maximum of pressure and then I'd back off a 1/2 grain of powder and look for any excess pressure signs. They are just a smidge hotter than the WW 209s but not enough to matter with 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads in the middle of the pressures posted in manuals. We are finding Cheddite specific data more and more each year it seems...Bob Dodd

6. Jim H.

Jim H. TS Member

No Cheddite primer data in the Lyman's 5th ed. They do not even list it in the primer information.

7. chanmarine

chanmarine TS Member

For what it's worth, I ask Cheddite the same question recently. Their email response was to use WW209 loading data, and subtract .5 grains, just like Bob Dodd recommended above. I've shot about 10,000 of them using this method so far, with zero problems and nice, crisp results.

8. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

I got the same answer from Alliant when I asked them the same question Mr. Magoo did. They also said to add 1/2 grain of powder when subbing Cheddite for Fed 209A.

9. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Have any of you had firing pin problemss. I used to load several thousand Chedittes also but read where they are hard on firing pins. Also I have repalaced different primers before just like Dodd said. Know how hot the primer is and then cut back a bit on the power. As longas youre not loading to the max. Changing one componant is ok. Its when you start changing hull, wad, primer etc. then is when you can run into big problems. Also know what your particular componant is doing. Also stay with the lower pressures and velocities. Hope this makes sense. alex

10. Racerx

Racerx Member

Any info will help !!

11. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

I can't beleave this thead made it without reference to France.I also use cheddites like stated win209 -.5grns. Jon

12. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Like MikeB and Hounddog41, I have had problems with the firing pin piercing the the primer. I shoot a number of K80s and this happens periodically with all of them. It will burn the firing pin and the pin will get sharp edges due to the burning, which just increases the piercing problem.

I have also had a problem with the primer cap material being to thick as well. It doesn't go off on the first shot, with only a small indentation on the primer cap. It always goes off on the second attempt. I have had the guns checked by Krieghoff and they're conclusion was variables in the thickness of the primer cap material caused the FTF.

Now I shoot Winchester and Remington primers since the Cheddites vary too much in quality. I have seen other threads where some guys have had the same experience as me, and yet others have had no problems. Give them a try and determine for yourself how well they work.

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Don't anybody use the cci 209 primers?

14. Racerx

Racerx Member

I would like to use the cci primer , but prices are up !! I have to give these Cheddite primers a chance. When a brick of Win 209's are 31.99 per 1000 . It only makes sense. Powders up!! Leads up !! and primers too. Wads are the only thing that's cheap ??

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

While I used the Win. and Ched. primers interchangeably, I will agree with RMG that there was no difference in the "feel" of the loads, however, the chronograph proved there is a difference in the two primers. My records suggest you can pick up approx. 10 to 15fps on average with the Cheddites over the Winchesters. For a long time I thought the difference was a simple variance from one test to another, long term, the records proved the Cheddites are just a smidge hotter as said by most "experts." My loads are/were 7/8 oz up to 1230fps and 1 oz up to 1200fps and were always in the low end of internal pressures. Using printed data from powder makers, interpolating data from between this and that, I was satisfied my loads were completely safe. The 100,000 (or so) Cheddites were used in SX-1s, Rem. 3200s, a K model 32, and the KS-5 Spl and I never had a gun issue as descirbed by some above. My advice has always been use them interchangeably with Win. data as long as you're no where near the maximum pressure loads and if you are loading hot, back off roughlly 1/2 grain of powder....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cheddite 209 primer reloading data

cheddite primer load data

cheddite primers

cheddite primers reloading data

cheddite reloading data
cheddite reloading data 12 gauge
cheddite reloading manual
loading data for cheddite primers