1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** Reloading data needed for 452AA***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Schultz, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have 40 pounds (Yes, I know thats a lot!) of perfectly good 452AA Winchester powder sealed in the original kegs. What I don't have is my old Winchester Reloading manual to tell me how many grains to put in a AA or Rem. empty for a 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz. reload. Any of you old timers out there have a manual gathering dust on the shelf?

Thanks,

Bob Schultz

2. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Bob:

Per the Lyman Shotshell Handbook, 2nd Edition, page 165 I have the following data:

Hull: Use with Winchester or Western Compression Formed Plastic Cases Only
    Powder: 452AA (20.0 grains)
    Primer: Winchester 209
    Wad: One Winchester #WAA12
    Velocity (FPS) 1200
    Pressure (L.U.P) 9,920

The book states that this powder was manufacured by Winchester Propellents. On page 64, this powder is described as follows: "This cool burning double-based spherical powder is the fastest burning powder in the Winchester shotshell line. This powder is preferred in light to standard shotshell loading and is a very popular choice in trap and skeet loads."

At the bottom of the page, there is a warning which reads as follows: "Caution, spherical grain ball powders whould never be used with Remington primers or other primers featuring open flash holes."

I am not an expert in this area. I would therefore recommend before reloading anything that you should check with Winchester or to contact someone from Lyman to confirm the information that I just copied for you.

Good Luck

Dave

3. jtf650

jtf650 Member

From the 14th edition of the Winchester Manual: AA hull, Win 209 primer, Win WAA12 (white) wad,, 1 1/8 0z., 1145 fps, 9400 LUP uses 19.5 grains 452.

By the time the Rem Premier/STS hull appeared, 452 had already been replaced by WST, and Winchester only listed recipes for WST in that hull.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

When Winchester discontinued 452AA friends of mine that loaded .45acp, started using Scot 453, and WST. Call Steve Hodgdon at Hodgdon Powders, he knows a lot about Winchester ball powders. Wayne

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Bob: Don't reload it - send it to me!!!!!

I loved that stuff.

What kind of a load are you wanting as I reloaded this stuff for years and loved it. I have quite a few loads for singles and 27 yards.

Whiz

6. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Bob, don't sell or give that powder to any one with a K80 they will blow up their gun with it, Frank

7. Heckyea

Heckyea TS Member

I used to use that reloading 45acp and 38 super years ago. Was bummed when they did away with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
452aa pistol load data
452aa powder

452aa reloading data

452aa shotshell reloading data
win 452aa powder
winchester 452aa load data

winchester 452aa powder reloading data

winchester 452aa reloading data