1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Data for .410

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Markcp, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markcp

Markcp TS Member

I decided to purchase a 9000 MEC in 410 to sit alongside my 9000 in 12 gauge. I currently use 700X, Winchester 209's claybusters and 12 gauge AA hulls for my one ounce trap loads. My 4th edition Lyman reloading handbook doesn't show a recipe using the 700x powder for the smaller .410? Does anyone know of a good recipes for 2.5" AA's, .410 using the 700X? I would like to keep my componets simple. I will be using the .410 for short distance wobble trap.

Thanks everyone, Mark

2. Markcp

Markcp TS Member

I have looked in my reloading book and also some reloading web pages and I do not see 700X listed as a componet in the .410 2.5"s AA. I just wanted to get the correct bushing to go with 700X if that was in anyones recipes. I wasn't "FISHING" just looking for help. And yes I do use a scale.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

700X will make your purty lil 410 into a twisted mess.

Use 15 grains of H110 or 296.

HM

4. Markcp

Markcp TS Member

Thanks HM and Pat, Thats why I was asking.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Generally, powder that's good for 12 gauge is way too fast for the little .410.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

One of the best powders for the .410 bore is Alliant's 410 powder. Low charge weights help everything fit in the case. Their 410 powder data is contained on a separate page in their reload manual, downloadable from the website, and also in their interactive reloading guide. Remember, there is a difference between the compression formed AA .410 hull and the AAHS hull in .410. They have different load data.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Winchester 296 has been the powder of choice for many years. Ask any Skeet shooter. Win Case, primer, and wad all manufactured by Winchester. Check the loading manual and WEIGH YOUR TEST LOADS. The .410 uses small volumns of powder.

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Alliant 410 or 296. Too many "whistlers" with 2400...

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

One of the most overlooked .410 components is shot weight. Factory bushings can be as much as 20 pellets light of 1/2 oz. If you have a problem of to much volume check the shot charge weight. 296 is great in AA hulls. 2400 in remingtons for me and I never get whistlers in the rem's with 2400.Jeff

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

296 and H110 are same powder but around here the H110 is about ten dollars cheaper per 8 pounds. Your 700X powder is good for 12 ga. only. A different powder is used for 20 ga. and 28 ga. togther. And still a different powder again for the little 410. Hope this helps you out. I would be loading the H110 powder for the newer HS hulls. You need to use the Win HS wad and follow the loading data to the letter. Very high chamber pressures in 28 ga. and the 410 ga. so don't switch primers or wads with same powder loads like you can in the 12 ga. Doing so can put you over the top with chamber pressures. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. Markcp

Markcp TS Member

Thanks everyone,

I ended up with the 296 powder, winchester wads, and my 209's. I found a sweet deal at Cabela's. I went over to buy the 9000 MEC with the new primer tray listed at $416.00. I pulled one off the bottom shelf that was covered in dust. Here it was tagged "special order" and listed at $344.00. I had a Cabela's worker check it over and it was all there. When I get to the checkout, being a Cabela's Club member, I saved another $30.00 off the price. So for $315.00 plus tax, I have a brand new, in the box MEC 9000 ready to be put to use on the tiny .410's.
    Mark

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Is there some reason why most of you don't use little gun. It is the only powder I have ever used on my 410 loads. I believe it is a low volume powder but since I haven't tried the others I don't know how it compares. I use AAhs hulls, Win AAhs wads, Lil Gun, and Fiochi Primers and the shell shoots good but the shot is loose even with a good deep crimp. Anyone else have this problem. Jackie B.

13. Bridger

Bridger Member

Good luck with the 9000G and the .410. With those tiny cases many users have had to disconnect the self indexing as it gets too jerky and spills result. Better save yourself a headache or two and try it manually first to make sure every thing is working okay before going full auto. I use 296 and get great factory looking shells. If you are using Winchester HS hulls make sure you are using the correct data and the HS wad as its different from the old compression hull data. And has been already suggested, weigh your shot charge as many of them are light. You need every bit of shot you can get in that hull. You may need to open it up so it is dropping a consistent 225 grains of shot.

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I just reloaded a case using the HS Winchester hulls and 296. Powder drop as recommended for 1200fps.

I used the self indexing feature on the 9000G without problem and always have. If you spill any shot, you then will have problems.

My scale says my shot drop is right on the money, but never assume.

You may have a problem with powder migration. I've never been able to stop it completly.

I ended up installing a plastic powder baffle to cut down on same. I keep a can of bottled air handy to help keep down buildup at the base when reloading.

I tried the metal baffle type, but did not have any success.

Also, on handle upswing you may see a pellet or two go flying from the shot drop tube when leaving the hull. Keep the tube end clean and you may also have to play around a bit with tube adjustment so this does not happen.

15. Shooting Jack

Joe, you mentioned powder migration and I have that problem with my 8567 Mec and installed one of the brass grommets and didn't seem to help. Due you use a rubber grommet? What was the plastic powder baffle you are talking about. Jackie B.

16. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

It's Alliant .410 I use for loading the little gun. Low volume, gives me plenty room for the shot. Just under 12 grains with 220 grains of shot in a PC wad and Winchester 209 primer. I'm still loading the old style Winchesters though, haven't had to resort to the HS yet. Found a DEAL on about 15 flats of them a couple of years ago, and bought them all. I've only been using the new ones for competition, but I'll be running out soon.

17. Bridger

Bridger Member

Shooting Jack, you need one of the plastic powder baffles that I believe are made by Pattern Control and available from just about any reloading retailer. Cost is less than $5 and will cure your powder migration problem. It screws directly against the charge bar, you do not use either the brass washer or grommet.

18. Shooting Jack

Thanks Bridger, I will get me some of those first chance I get. Jackie B.

19. MX3SBOY

MX3SBOY TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

410 load data

410 loading data

410 powder reloading data

410 reloading data

alliant 410 load data
h110 410 loads
mec bushing for 410 powder