1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading data for 28 ga with red dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bewmetal, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewmetal

bewmetal Member

I am looking for some reloading data for a 28 ga winchester HS hulls, winchester primer. using red dot

thanks

Brett

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Too fast a powder. you can't use it. you will need to buy powder specific for a 28ga. Unique is what I use. 13 grains. Jeff

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

What Jeff said.

Unique, Universal, Longshot, 20/28 ... there's a long list of good 28ga powders ... and RedDot ain't on the list.

Bob

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bon chance mon ami. HMB

5. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Red Dot in 28 Ga.? Did I just hear someone yell "Fish ON!"

If not....Stick with a published recipe for 28 Ga using a powder designed for it.

Shoot well, often and safely!
    Tom

6. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Earlier today we had Blackjaw asking for data to reload 20 gauge shells with Red Dot. Now we have this post asking for 28 gauge recipes. Did someone hijack a truck of Alliant Red Dot and selling the stuff cheap? I'm waiting for the post looking for some good .410 Red Dot recipes. Please, people, understand that there are different powders for different gauges. There is no "one-size-fits-all" when it comes to powders. Those of us who've been reloading for the last 30+ years realize the cost of powder has gone up, but certainly not as much when compared to primers and shot. What value do we put on safety? Go out and buy a pound of Unique or 20/28, both terrific 28 gauge powders from Alliant. If it ain't in the reloading data supplied by the powder manufacturer, I don't bother with it.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Anyone have a recipe for AA .410 with Reddot ? LOL

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

tallpaul:

You posted a list of very good points. Thanks for trying but what do you want to bet some moron comes along shortly to proudly announce how he loads .410 HS hulls with a coffee cup full of Red Dot and a random assortment of wads he swept up from his loading room floor?

With total confidence, he'll state how .410 HS hulls, "load just like 12 gauge Gold Medals". He'll further explain how, "you can mix and match components at will. As long as it crimps ok, you're good to go." Then he'll finish the post with something similarly brilliant like, "I've done it for 30 years and it works GREAT for me!"

Yours in safe reloading,

sissy

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Neil would dig it ! LOL

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

In any case, if shooting small gauges with tube inserts, make sure your using established recipies. Seen more than a few blown tubes in my travels.

11. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I hope this is a fishing expedition.

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

darr .... umm, yeah. But one is never sure. Never.

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

bigbore613,

Anyone have a recipe for AA .410 with Reddot ? LOL

Nope, but I have a dandy that uses Longshot! right back at ya.

ss

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Start with a 28 ga hull, add five heaping tablespoons of Red Dot, used primer, no wad or shot (Won't fit anyway). This is a real economical load, since it uses no shot or wad, reuses the same hull, primer, and powder over and over. You can shoot this as many times as you want. Patterns like nothing and has absolutely NO recoil and VERY quiet. Very Safe load! Reduce the powder by 1/2 tablespoon for .410. Been doing this for thirty years and never had one go off. :)

P.S. You can even use the Rio/Kemen hulls with the migrating base wads, since they won't matter in this load.

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shot and reloaded for skeet using 28g and GREEN DOT. Been reloading for 45 years and never saw a published loading for red dot for 28g! I'd highly suggest you call Alliant. Chichay

16. sid fraser

sid fraser TS Member

NOw back in the mid 1950's when I was just a teen ager, before green dot and plastic hulls, they loaded red dot in 20 gague. My day told me he remembers shucking a shell out of his 870 skeet and the paper end was on fire.

Green dot is still OK in my opinion for a non tubed 20 gauge at around 14.5 grains.
    But, Universal and 20/28 a lot better.

Sid Fraser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 gauge reloading with green dot

28ga reddot powder

alliant red dot reloading data for shotgun

estate 28 reloading red dot

red dot loads for 28 ga

reloading kemen 28 gauge