1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Costs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by swatman201, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swatman201

swatman201 Member

I am new to Trap shooting and hear alot of the fellows talking about reloading. What is the average cost to reload 25 #8 trap loads. I buy loads from a retailer here in S. Florida, at about $60. a flat. I recently retired and plan on shooting alot more. Just attempting to figure out if it is worth it for me to reload.

As always, thanks for your help.

Joe Isnardi

Big Pine Key, Florida

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Here is a calculator to figure your reloads.

In all fairness keep in mind if you use name brand quality components compare them with the same name brand premium shells. By the same token if you use after market components compare them to less quality shells.

Bill

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I reload for several reasons.

First, I have reloaded since the late 50's, and enjoy the art. I can load high performance ammo to lower pressures than what factory ammo generates.

Second, I can load ammo at least as good as anything I can buy for less money. I do not load ammo comparable to promotional ammo. I load ammo as good as or better than premium target ammo.

Third, I can load ammo that is not commercially available.

Fourth, I do save money on loading.

Fifth, right now, since I maintain loading supplies, the ammo shortage does not affect my shooting.

I DID say I enjoy loading.

4. DONNE

DONNE Member

Big Pine Key ?

Heck , I'd be Fishing and not reloading ....

5. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

With lead prices at $39.00 with tax for 25lbs, claybuster wads and chedditte primers along with free hulls we are at $4.52 a box for our caps load and a little less for the 16 yd load. Better enjoy or really believe in your loads at that price.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Joe,

There are cost calculators on the home page of this site where you put in all the component costs and it calculates the per box price. But you probably don't have a good feel on what component prices are in your area, so that may not be too helpful.

I am a life long reloader of all manner of ammunition and recently stopped reloading 12 gauge shotshells because I could buy good quality factory loaded shells at about the same price as the component price for reloading. (about $50 per flat). I was buying my components in bulk and shopping around for the best prices too.

So the quick answer is it probably doesn't make sense to get into reloading 12 gauge target ammo at this time. The set up costs alone would be difficult to justify. The sub guages (.410 and 28 gauge) are a different matter. Those rounds do pay to reload even at today's component prices.

In short order you will hear from a bunch of guys that claim to be making shells for something like $2 per box but what they are really saying is that they bought a bunch of components 20 years ago and are using those costs in their comparison. Not really an option for you.

7. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Shooting Coach, what is the advantage of lower pressures?

8. David McMillen

David McMillen Banned User Banned

I used the reloading cost calculator, with the following new prices I just received from a dealer: Lead(West Coast) $40/25lb, Primers(Win.) $137.50 for 5000, Wads(RXP12), $120, for 5000, powder(WST-18.5 grains)$126 for 8#. Put all this together and add 7.25% tax, you have a reloading cost of $5.41 a box.

9. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Many of us shoot reclaim shot at about $25 per 25lb bag. Also I shoot 7/8oz for all but HCP. So you can save some there but I reload 12ga and all the subgauges because I love to reload, never was any good at fishing. Joe

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Giving what I paid for shot, primers and wads about 14 years ago I'm putting shells together for about $2.97 a box according to the shotshell reloading cost calculator. Now, First of all let me say that I've been an avid reloader for about 40 years, starting off with centerfire and graduating to shotshells. I enjoy reloading and view it as an extension of the hobby of shooting. Now when this "mountain" of lead that I'm working out of dries up, I can't say what I'll do. But for now I'll keep on reloading "premimum" shells at non premimum prices. As a side note about premimum shells a friend of mine just priced Remington STS's from a large east coast distributer and was quoted $89.90 per flat. Reloading just might make a comeback....

11. Lostintheozone

Lostintheozone Member

It depends on how much you want to shoot. I've reloaded for about 12 years. I started when shot was $20 a bag. Consider your investment in loading gear. About $500 right up front. Good ammo is about $70 a flat. That's 7 flats of shells. Let's say you can load for $50 a flat or a savings of $20 a flat. After you buy your gear you will have to load 25 flats of ammo just to get to a point so you can save money.

Now don't get me wrong, I like to reload and continue to do so, but for a new guy without gear, well it's a toss up now.

Honestly, the only reason I'm still in the game is 1)I have the gear, and 2)I have 150 lbs of shot and 10 lbs of powder. Once the shot is gone I'm selling out. $43 a bag isn't my idea of fun.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Keep an eye out for anyone giving up reloading. You can usually buy all their stuff at a very good price. HMB

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...what is the advantage of lower pressures?"</i></blockquote>There is NO advantage to lower chamber pressures unless the factory shells in question are over safe pressures to start with.<UL><li>Lower pressures do NOT reduce felt recoil (unless you subscribe to the cockeyed logic that reducing pressure to 0 psi eliminates recoil entirely) as long speed and shot weight remain the same.<li>Pressure is necessary for complete and consistent powder burns. Lowering the pressures reduces the efficiency of the powder burn and leaves some of it unburned in the bore.<LI>Using slower-burning powders does NOT reduce either felt or actual recoil or produce "soft shooting" loads. The difference in the burn rates between a "fast" powder and a "slow" one is measured in parts of a second that are too fast for any human to be able to perceive. The recoil produced is determined by the weight of the shot load and the max velocity it reaches.</UL>

Keller

14. Loumish

Loumish Member

15. Renoone

Renoone TS Member

I see a lot of people claiming that you can buy at about the same cost as reloading. I have looked around quite a bit and I can't find a low cost source to buy. I am considering reloading but I would just buy if the price is comparable. Where do you guys / gals buy quality loads for the low price you mention?

Thanks much!

16. C-Money

C-Money Member

Our club was doing a purcase of Top Guns @ $53 per flat and Federal Paper shells @ $80 per flat. I will continue to reload. Its fun for me, and I take pride in making my own ammo. With reclaimed shot, I am still well under $4 a box.

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Today (1/23/13), according to Kitco Metals, lead is $1.0721 per pound. If this trend continues, add a couple more dollars for a bag of shot. It is unlikely that lead prices will drop since the FED Reserve is dumping $80,000,000,000.00 per month to stimulate the economy. This will cause all metals (may be with the exception of precious metals) increase in price. Just think, $26.80 at today's price of lead sitting in a bag of shot. Now if reloading powder dries up due to this madness of late, add at least $10.00 to a keg. Primers, uncertain how much these will go up, if any. Good way to start Obama's second term (inherited a real mess from himself). No bright spots on the horizon. BT100dc
    P.S. Lead hit $1.0825 per pound today, 1/24/13

18. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I am at $3.30 for my 7/8 oz practice loads with reclaimed shot.My premium 11/8 oz loads are $4.30.

Darr

19. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

You guys that are talking about 53.00 a flat Top Guns and sub 37.00 a bag new shot are clueless. I don't mean that in a dirogatory fashion, but it's quite evident that you haven't had to purchase either in quite a while.

20. Renoone

Renoone TS Member

I can't find prices like that anywhere. That's why I asked. But still no response as to where someone can actually buy some for those prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reload trap shells advantage