1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading cost

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

what is the cost to reload now--- i was looking at some prices now wads at $100 primers at $100+ powder at $100+ shot at ? --even if you make shot you can buy shells cheaper rick

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

what is the cost to reload now--- i was looking at some prices now wads at $100 primers at $100+ powder at $100+ shot at ? --even if you make shot you can buy shells cheaper rick

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I purchased components in April.

My cost to reload 1oz, 12 gauge with Clays powder, is $4.19 per box.

$3.61 to reload 28 gauge, using Universal Clays.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

loading 1oz and reminton parts shot 37.00/25 clays 102/8lbs Remington209s 175/5000 Reminton TGT12 135/5000 Reload calculator says 4.36 per box. STS are 6.98 when on sale gun clubs 5.49 on sale estates through the club 5.60 thats at case prices and discounts. Saves a little. I only reload on rainy days when I would have been shooying. So it works out for me.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can save alot of money on components if you keep an eye out for people who are giving up reloading. Make an offer to buy all their stuff and you can get some real bargains. HMB

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I make a premo reload for about $5.15 now. With shot at $51.95 a bag. The cheepo new shells cost about the same, but their not close to as good as STS, AA's, or my reloads. That's the way I see it, but then I like to pull the handle on those Dillon's.

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

If you make your own shot, and you get the wheel weights cheap enough or free, it really offsets the cost of reloading, or if you even pay $.30/lb for wheel weights, having roughly $10 of your money invested in a single bag of shot, makes a box of shells cost right around $3.00 a box. JMO, Josh.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

When you see the price of new shells after the June increase you will realize an even greater savings. Also be aware that Federal Estates will be discontinued Aug.1'st. Cheap shells may soon be a thing of the past!!

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Dawg -

Where did you get that info. Our component supplier told us that Estates were going to have a fairly significant price increase very soon, but they are still going to be making them.

Scott

10. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Remington fig. 8 wad, Titewad powder, 1 1/8 oz. Westcoast magnum shot, Fiocchi primer = $4.41 a box. I can't buy premium shells for that and they crush targets when I do my job. I switch to Green dot for handicap loads at the same price. All I shoot are my reloads now.

Jimmy

11. DJM

DJM Member

I am able to load 1 oz shells for about $4.10/box with all new components. Titewad powder, hard shot & Claybuster wads. But I have to use coupons for all component purchases and scrounged hulls. This spring Sportsmans Warehouse had $10 coupon for a $50 purchase available at several banquets. Cabelas had 30% off purchases between $100 to $200 for their Visa card holders.

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Reloading is cost effective compared to factory shells.

The cost of international factory shells is around $7 per box and up.

I can reload using premium components for $3.60 per box (new shot).

IF i use reclaimed shot they are $2.75 per box.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You're right Scott. Unfortunately, they will not be available to distributors after Aug. 1. Supposedly, production will be sent to big box stores like Walmart only. Federal rep dropped this bomb on Monday morning!!

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Yukon is right on...I split his component orders. We just bought 5 tons of shot.

I'm right around $3.15 a box, too...I was at $2.97, but that was because I found a guy selling a 12lb keg of 700x for $60. It's gone now. Sigh.

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Rick: Some of your quoted component costs can be cut dramatically by simply choosing different components. i.e. use Promo powder ($75/8#) compared to $100+( You can use the Red Dot recipes); $110 for 5000 primers instead of $175 for the Remington, Winchester rip off prices; $75 for 5000 Downrange wads, (instead of the brand name ripoff prices). I noted that my supplier has advertised a $2 a bag drop in lead this past week. As stated by Yukon Jack; buying in bulk is the key. Get together with fellow shooters and possibly buy a ton of shot. There are ways to cut down on costs if one wants to. I have literally found hundreds of once fired Gun Club hulls that were discarded at my club. Pick them out of the barrel. Free is good!! Also, I have reloaded the black Remington hulls and they load as well as the Gun Clubs. You can save a lot of $$ by reloading. If you feel your time is worth something; by all means purchase new shells. But then again one is sacrificing cost for convenience. Ed

16. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

red dot $85/8lbs,wolf primers $80/5000 rem fig 8 wads(use sts hulls only) $10/500,jim stewart black max shot $0(free wheel weights)picked up a old ponsness warren 800b for $200.im lucky to be at less than $2/box for a shell better than cheapo's,hope i stay in lead,mark

17. TKHover

TKHover TS Member

I load 1 1/8 oz. with 19.5 gr. American Select, Fiocchi primers, Rem Fig. 8 or Windjamer wads, and Northwest Magnum shot. Cost with windjammers - $4.36, with Fig 8 - $4.68. I use Rem hulls (all kinds) which are no cost. I'm very happy with this load. Crushes the targets, if I do my part. I know I could get the price down a little if I switch to a less expensive powder, but this works.
    Tom

18. mike b.

mike b. Member

About $4.20 for 1 oz reloads buying at the best internet prices in bulk! Any of the $ 2 -$3 range are using old stockpiles and are not a true indicator of todays prices for new materials.

19. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Where in the world can you buy Wolf primers for less than $100/case much less $80.00? ....Rick

20. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

sorry for double post at start the $4 a box is about what I come up with 12 and 20 have been in that price range -- till recently --- I could see the 28 and 410 also 16 they have been high---I still have enough to load about 50,000 that i bought 5 yrs ago--- its hard to belive but componets have doubled in the last year-----one other thing I pulled a rem sts -- and a gun club down the only thing I could see was the powder was different [same weight just looked different] and the shot had a little bit more of mix [more size 8s in a 7 1/2] wad looked the same---- pattern at 30yds very near same so except for a better reloading hull that was all I could see- and $2.25 a box rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.